2017/12/01 12:28:33
asimmd
Just wondered if anyone had this DAW and if it was any good.
I just can't decide if its for me or not so any help appreciated.

2017/12/01 12:39:52
Zargg
Hi. I have MixBus 4, and really like for stems mixing. It is IMO very intuitive to use, but lacks many of SPlat's bells and whistles.
It depends on how you intend to use it.
All the best.

2017/12/01 13:47:02
asimmd
Thanks I bought it anyway.
I loaded a couple of my previous projects into Mixbus after converting
them to wave and the sound quality was really good much better than before.
2017/12/01 13:49:06
Zargg
Their "special sauce" (I believe) is that the EQ is inline the whole time.
It's supposed to give that MixBus sound.
2017/12/01 13:56:44
Mully
Mixbus in concept is great...single plane mixing so to speak and if like old school mixing it has a lot to offer IMO.
I really like the compressor sitting on every channel for example.

It does not like the V-Studio 700R or 700C though. Can't get it to play with this gear at all.

As for the sound....yes...I noticed it straight away and that keeps me coming back to play with it BUT it needs a surface for this user and the one I have is incompatible so that 'may' be a deal breaker...will prolly buy it anyway as the offer from Harrison is quite generous and it is a great mixing platform...if I can work out how to narrow the faders 
Enjoy!
2017/12/01 13:59:34
gswitz
I really like it.
2017/12/01 14:32:18
scleland
I bought it with all of their plugins. Everything sounds fantastic and their plugins are fabulous. I wish they were VSTs. They have concepts for their character plugins, the gates, etc that I have never seen and perform better with less work than anything i have ever used. Fabulous purchase. It is not geared towards a songwriter, more for an engineer and producer. I plan on using Studio One or Cubase for writing and then using Mixbus to finalize the mix. To me, it is that good.
2017/12/02 02:32:20
stxx
Check out Mixbus 32C.  A little more $$ but awesome sound!   The EQ is amazing
2017/12/02 05:06:09
sharke
I'm a little disillusioned with Mixbus. From their marketing blurb you'd be forgiven for thinking that Mixbus has its own sound just from running audio through it, or at least summing your tracks through its dedicated mixbuses. You will find claims everywhere that this summing is done with "analog" style magic.

But as Jeff Evans pointed out recently, tracks summed and exported from a "transparent" DAW will null perfectly with tracks summed and exported from Mixbus provided you don't engage any of its effects. So it's not really doing anything to the sound on its own. The Harrison sound comes instead from the Harrison effects - the inbuilt EQ and compression, the tape drive, and the various add-on effects you can purchase from Harrison. I read somewhere that the tape drive isn't even that sophisticated - it just adds some third order harmonics and engages a slight rolloff. 

I've heard all sorts of claims that just running a mix clean through Mixbus will give it "more depth" and a "broader stereo spread" etc. People swear they can hear it. But null tests show otherwise. Harrison mentions its "great sounding" bus summing on its site, but does it actually do anything? I read someone on the Harrison forums saying that this summing magic might be so subtle that it "still passes a null test." But come on, would it? If anything were happening at all different, they would not null. 

I've followed threads on the Harrison forum where someone from Harrison has chimed in, and I'm always left feeling like I still haven't learned anything solid about the Mixbus "secret sauce" and what it does. They're vague and ambiguous and don't seem willing to put their cards on the table and say "this is what Mixbus does and doesn't do." 

My original intent when I bought Mixbus was to do all of my mixing in Sonar and just import the stems into Mixbus for bussing and summing. But if there is no magic summing per se, that all seems pointless. I still use it, because I like the idea of switching to another DAW in the last stage of the mix. It takes away all the distractions of your original project and gives you a fresh start. Plus I like to group my tracks into busses and apply 0.5 - 1dB of compression for a little extra glue before they hit the master compressor, and sometimes I will do a little light EQ on a bus as well. So when I use the Mixbus effects for this, I'm getting some of the Harrison magic, and it does sound good. I just think that if people are buying Mixbus just for its purported summing magic, they're quite possibly being conned. 

2017/12/02 10:06:28
asimmd
For what I want it for its perfect.
The EQ on the channel is just what I needed and having the compressor
on the channel strip is so convenient.

I have tried recording in Mixbus with no problems and VST plugins just work.
Yes I may get something like Cubase to do the recording/arranging in but the final mix will be in Mixbus.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account