2017/12/05 13:25:26
mkerl
GregRband
... can’t go wrong really... personal choices or adventures is all!

.... Sonar may do fine for a few years to come! Just sayin......

It's not that wrong to get some impressions to see what other progs can do for you, but honestly, I'm not in a hurry,  since Sonar runs like a Charme and will do for a few years as you're saying . . . .

Otherwise, something like the extended Videocapabilities of Mixcraft couldt make a great addition to Sonar :) 

Have fun !!
Cheers :) 
2017/12/05 15:50:42
dubdisciple
GregRband
Have you checked out Harrison Mixbus or Tracktion T6, T7, Waveform 8 for Linux?
I’ve heard a few commenting about them for that.

I found traction beyond annoying to do basic things. Granted, i didn't make time to dive deeper, but it was completely unintuitive. Didn't uninstall but have not felt compelled. I have used mixbus. I am actually considering upgrading from 3 to 4 as a compliment to bitwig 8 track. I could create in bitwig and mix in mixbus. Mixbus is horrible for creating.
2017/12/05 16:07:05
GregRband
mkerl
GregRband
... can’t go wrong really... personal choices or adventures is all!

.... Sonar may do fine for a few years to come! Just sayin......

It's not that wrong to get some impressions to see what other progs can do for you, but honestly, I'm not in a hurry,  since Sonar runs like a Charme and will do for a few years as you're saying . . . .

Otherwise, something like the extended Videocapabilities of Mixcraft couldt make a great addition to Sonar :) 

Have fun !!
Cheers :) 

Thanks for comment and open view. I agree fully with no harm in looking around. I have been for 4 of 4 years :)
2017/12/05 16:16:30
GregRband
dubdisciple
GregRband
Have you checked out Harrison Mixbus or Tracktion T6, T7, Waveform 8 for Linux?
I’ve heard a few commenting about them for that.

I found traction beyond annoying to do basic things. Granted, i didn't make time to dive deeper, but it was completely unintuitive. Didn't uninstall but have not felt compelled. I have used mixbus. I am actually considering upgrading from 3 to 4 as a compliment to bitwig 8 track. I could create in bitwig and mix in mixbus. Mixbus is horrible for creating.

Well, at least you gave Tracktion a try! ...and haven’t uninstalled it :)
Maybe it just isnt for you, it is quite different and unique as a daw, but I’ve been messing with it and upgrading for years, and once you get familiar with it, it does so much! Just upgraded to Waveform 8 myself, to check it out, and to support the evolution of Tracktion... but I own and appreciate many daws.

Since you like Bitwig so much, that combo with Mixbus for the mixer side sounds like a great idea! I am not familiar enough with what would be gained on the mixer side alone from v3 to v4. I do have the current v4 though.
2017/12/05 17:23:47
dubdisciple
The theoretical gain is actually what i won't be using. Just makes sense to upgrade with it being so cheap to have latear version . I think i would be nore apt to give tracktion more time if i was not already working with multiple DAWs. The bitwig itself is a bit of a paradigm shift but far more easier to get up and running than tracktion.
2017/12/05 17:53:04
GregRband
dubdisciple
The theoretical gain is actually what i won't be using. Just makes sense to upgrade with it being so cheap to have latear version . I think i would be nore apt to give tracktion more time if i was not already working with multiple DAWs. The bitwig itself is a bit of a paradigm shift but far more easier to get up and running than tracktion.

That all sounds good, I hope it works well for you.
Wow, you just made me realize how AMAZING Mixbus would be if it used Sonar instead of Ardour on the arranger/editor side! Dont think Harrison can afford to buy Cakewalk though :(
2017/12/05 20:08:55
dubdisciple
Harrison is unlikely to buy cake, but it would not be a bad idea for them to grab some orphan bakers. Their vst handling and composition tools would likely improve
2017/12/06 01:30:49
abacab
dubdisciple
I could create in bitwig and mix in mixbus.

I think you have a good point there with using different tools for the creating and mixing parts of the workflow!

There are many tools available that can be more inspiring to begin the music creation process with, than using the typical DAW.

But in the end you will probably need some serious DAW tools to do the mixing in.

I am leaning towards using Waveform for the MIDI creative tools, that include some interesting pattern generators. Well that, and/or Overture!  Then use Studio one for the arranging and mixing. 

But the creative alternatives depend on what you prefer to work with.  I also have Ableton Live, which could be interesting to begin with, as well as would Bitwig, I imagine. 

For those creating in the box, beginning in a less linear fashion would seem to offer more creative freedom than just a traditional linear track timeline and a mixer. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account