2017/12/04 23:31:16
rj davis
Have been using Cakewalk exclusively since the 5-1/4" floppy days, but Studio One clicked for me with very little fuss.  I'm a heavy record/edit/mix user, and seldom use MIDI or loops.  That makes a difference to what will work for you.  Also, my priorities for migration were Mackie implementation, Melodyne integration and vocal comping, so that further segregates me from the larger body of users (and maybe you).  But I LOVE Sonar AND (now) Studio One...
2017/12/05 00:18:46
outland144k
raisindot
I've been demoing both Cubase 9.5 and Studio One. One of those will be my choice if I move on to another DAW.

I haven't spent a lot of time on S1, but I really like its interface. It's much closer to that of Sonar than Cubase, which is a completely incomprehensible, cluttered, cludgy mess. 

The only thing holding me back from going for S1 is its lack of certain MIDI features I rely on in Sonar. For example, as far as I can tell S1 does not have an "Event List" or the ability to search and replace notes that Sonar has. I've always relied on this feature to fix mistakes and/or to instantly covert all notes values to something else on a particular track (very useful when using rhythm kits). S1's "event functionalty" is really the same as Sonar's piano roll, a feature I never used. S1 also doesn't have flexible MIDI effects and its quantization capabilities are pretty limited.

If anyone using S1 knows whether the features i need are somehow available but not readily evident please let me know. Compared to Cubase, I know that I could really get up to speed quickly in S1 if I need to switch. But to me having top-notch MIDI capabilities is the most important thing. 

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, Studio One does have an Event List; it's called MIDI Monitor. Its symbol is a MIDI cable at the very bottom of the left-ish side of the screen. It looks like this: 

2017/12/05 00:40:28
Jeff Evans
The Midi monitor is just that. It tells you what the midi signals are. There is no way to freeze or edit the data.
2017/12/05 02:09:39
outland144k
Jeff Evans
The Midi monitor is just that. It tells you what the midi signals are. There is no way to freeze or edit the data.

Sorry, Jeff, I apparently did misunderstand.

I don't use Event Manager much (in Sonar), but I'll keep my eye open for the equivalent in Studio One as I work through it. I just got it last week with Notion in a bundle from Sweetwater.
2017/12/05 12:05:51
michael japan
I talked to a Presonus rep who stayed at my house for a couple of days last month to help me set-up Studio 192/DP88 and Studio 1 3.5. There will be no midi event list - he says what they have is the way of the future. I too relied heavily on the midi event list - why?  I am good with numbers and it makes more sense to me than piano roll or other things. So, as mentioned above, I can always export to Sonar and then send it back. I guess I'll see how much I used it once I start into Studio 1 but too many projects in the works for various clients at the moment to make the plunge.
2017/12/05 19:05:58
Halo Serene
OK thanks guys for all the info and opinion.
I have decided to take at least one piece of advice - to download the demo and muck about with it 
Will be looking to see how easy/complete it is to import projects from Sonar. Also to see how Notion fits in to it.

But - along with all you guys, I guess - I'm still hoping/praying that Sonar continues and grows 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account