• Software
  • A tip for any Sonarite trying studio one midi editing for the first time. (p.2)
2017/12/01 15:45:46
thepianist65
The videos are great! Thanks so much for posting this...
2017/12/01 16:47:53
thepianist65
As usual, I cannot find the obvious, can the OP explain or screen shot where you can change the velocity or other midi values from percentage to 1-128. I cannot seem to find the lower right corner of the controller pane, nor can I find an explanation in the help files. Oh, geez, whatta struggle, but I'm really liking what I'm learning so far.
Thanks. hopefully by the time you respond I will have (finally) found this on my own.

AND I DID, thanks, disregard my post...never mind...
2017/12/01 17:38:20
tenfoot
thepianist65
As usual, I cannot find the obvious, can the OP explain or screen shot where you can change the velocity or other midi values from percentage to 1-128. I cannot seem to find the lower right corner of the controller pane, nor can I find an explanation in the help files. Oh, geez, whatta struggle, but I'm really liking what I'm learning so far.
Thanks. hopefully by the time you respond I will have (finally) found this on my own.

AND I DID, thanks, disregard my post...never mind...

Cool. Glad you found it!
2017/12/01 19:26:33
Jeff Evans
Most of you are not well informed about its midi capability.  Yes it is not as deep as say Logic, Cubase or Sonar but it still deep.  I do a serious amount of midi editing using external hardware too and in that regard it excels. Midi timing is exceptional in Studio One with external instruments, the midi timing is independent of how hard the audio side of the program is working.  It is always rock solid to the click.  Its ability to capture nuances with timing playing live for example is also excellent.  The scale operations are variable in how you see and use them. 

The other thing is the midi operations are deep and advanced and many may not have all the knowledge about them and where they are located.  It took me a while to find everything about the midi operations.  A great video to watch is Recording and Editing with Midi in the Groove 3 collection. 

There is stuff it cannot do e.g. SYSEX being one of them and no event list for example. (I use Sonar for that!)  We are hopeful that the midi side will get advancements over time.  The other thing most of you are forgetting too and that is the program is young and will most likely get very extended midi functions and operations over time.  But right now it can do a huge amount anyway.  I control 10 external devices as well as virtual instruments. It does not have instrument definitions but that is not big deal if you are someone who is changing the patch memories around a lot in your instruments which is what I do all the time.

It can do some amazing things like loop record and jump midi tracks on the fly and it will add data in while live loop recording.  Something Sonar cannot even hope to do.  You can open up the PRV and erase notes too all on the fly while recording. With hardware you can set up a test to determine hardware latency of each instrument you own. Then you can advance or delay midi tracks by millisecond increments to adjust for super fine timing etc.. You can edit multiple midi tracks at once with ease.  We have Note Fx now. You can chop a long midi part into smaller events and apply different Note Fx on each section. Tons of quantising options. On the way in, after recording. Groove matching all possible.  Melodyne will convert audio to midi then you create things from there. Live music can be tempo mapped with ease now and dragged straight in to the tempo time line.  Midi stuff can be overdubbed after that so you are working on the grid.  But you can still play live against the grid on a tempo mapped piece.
2017/12/02 02:13:26
tenfoot
Jeff Evans
Most of you are not well informed about its midi capability.  Yes it is not as deep as say Logic, Cubase or Sonar but it still deep.  I do a serious amount of midi editing using external hardware too and in that regard it excels. Midi timing is exceptional in Studio One with external instruments, the midi timing is independent of how hard the audio side of the program is working.  It is always rock solid to the click.  Its ability to capture nuances with timing playing live for example is also excellent.  The scale operations are variable in how you see and use them. 

The other thing is the midi operations are deep and advanced and many may not have all the knowledge about them and where they are located.  It took me a while to find everything about the midi operations.  A great video to watch is Recording and Editing with Midi in the Groove 3 collection. 

There is stuff it cannot do e.g. SYSEX being one of them and no event list for example. (I use Sonar for that!)  We are hopeful that the midi side will get advancements over time.  The other thing most of you are forgetting too and that is the program is young and will most likely get very extended midi functions and operations over time.  But right now it can do a huge amount anyway.  I control 10 external devices as well as virtual instruments. It does not have instrument definitions but that is not big deal if you are someone who is changing the patch memories around a lot in your instruments which is what I do all the time.

It can do some amazing things like loop record and jump midi tracks on the fly and it will add data in while live loop recording.  Something Sonar cannot even hope to do.  You can open up the PRV and erase notes too all on the fly while recording. With hardware you can set up a test to determine hardware latency of each instrument you own. Then you can advance or delay midi tracks by millisecond increments to adjust for super fine timing etc.. You can edit multiple midi tracks at once with ease.  We have Note Fx now. You can chop a long midi part into smaller events and apply different Note Fx on each section. Tons of quantising options. On the way in, after recording. Groove matching all possible.  Melodyne will convert audio to midi then you create things from there. Live music can be tempo mapped with ease now and dragged straight in to the tempo time line.  Midi stuff can be overdubbed after that so you are working on the grid.  But you can still play live against the grid on a tempo mapped piece.

Hey Jeff.

You seem to have a good understanding of midi in Studio One so perhaps you can help me with something that is beyond the user guide. I too use midi to control a lot of outboard gear on 3 different systems. As a result, in Sonar I would route all midi to loopbe 30 internal virtual midi channels, then use Bome Midi Translator to map those channels to the external hardware. This meant that I could open the projects on any of the three systems without re routing the midi channels.  I can't find any way to do this in Studio one, and is the only major deficiency I have found in its midi operation.  Even with iidentical internal virtual midi channels set up on each system,Studio One still sees them as different, and all midi chanels need to be rerouted. I have tried both the standard and legacy midi settings to no avail.

I totally agree that the midi implemented so far works really well. As to the 'enhanced' midi 0-100% scale, given that every midi keyboard sends note velocities and every other cc message in the value range of 1-127 in degrees of 1, how is it of any practical use? It can't respond  with more accuracy/definition than the command it is receiving. Perhaps they are developing their own keyboard range that would address this.

I am very impressed with Studio One and am enjoying it immensely.  A bit of work on the midi editing side would put it way ahead of the pack!
2017/12/03 07:58:33
sonarman1
KingsMix
 Sonar User's Special - HST Studio One MIDI Basics

Thanks for the video, I am really in love with how you can just use the mouse wheel to do all the midi editing in S1. 

Yes it is not as deep as say Logic, Cubase or Sonar but it still deep.

Everybody seem to say this but is there something of a big deal that's in Sonar, Logic and Cubase that S1 cant do in terms of midi editing? 
I do see the absence of event editor (available in Logic, Cubase and Sonar)
Chord track chord assistant ( available in Cubase, (Not sure abt logic))
Step sequencer (available in Logic, Cubase, Sonar
Note Expression ( available in Cubase)
What else? pls educate me.

Other than these handy extra features (which I hope will be implemented soon in S!) is there any way S1 is inferior to these daws in terms of core midi editing? With my so far little experience I find the midi editing as good as others. Although there is no good smart tool in S1 its ability to edit midi notes by using mouse wheel feels so cool(Does other daws Logic or Cubase have this feature, I am in love with this particular feature). 
2017/12/03 10:25:44
tenfoot
sonarman1

Other than these handy extra features (which I hope will be implemented soon in S!) is there any way S1 is inferior to these daws in terms of core midi editing? With my so far little experience I find the midi editing as good as others. 

Having spent a few days with it and read the manual Sonarman, I dont think it is inferioir. I wasnt able to solve my complex midi routing/different systems issue, but that is certainly a niche limitation that next to no one will notice. Incrediblly, after 25 years with Cakewalk, I now prefer Studio One and am happy to move on. It is fast and cabable. It's not the same as Sonar,  but I am no longer sure that is such a bad thing:) 

It turns out you can teach an old dog new tricks!
2017/12/03 10:53:42
Paw
Hi Jeff, does SO3 have something like smart grid? And multitrack editing in PRV. In Sonar I can choose what multiple track from list I want to edit, and rest are blocked. Is there similar functionality in SO3?
Regards Paul.

Ah, there is track list in SO3, so nevermind...
2017/12/03 16:53:03
tenfoot
Studio One does have a version of smart grid (called adaptive snap), and you can edit multiple tracks in the PRV. You simply click on the tracks in the arrange window that you wish to display in the PRV, and the display changes dynamically according to your selection. Control + select will add additional tracks. You can also choose to colorise events by track in order to differentiate between them with multiple tracks open  in the PRV. It works well, but just isn't quite as refined as midi editing in Sonar. It does have its own advantages though:)

2017/12/03 18:35:41
Jeff Evans
There is a key command which will switch tools. So you can work with the normal arrow/pointer tool (or any tool for that matter) allowing to grab audio or midi events and move them around or do normal pointer operations.  As soon as you press and hold the key command key, the tool switches to what ever you have set e.g. a cut tool. This really speeds up workflow. You let go and it returns to normal.  It is not quite the Pro Tools smart tool but a fine version of it though.

In automation modes too the tool changes its function depending on whether you are above or below the centre line.  Automation playback resolution is now adjustable from very fine to course. (3.5.3 latest update) 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account