• Software
  • ARA support is coming to Reaper
2017/12/03 17:24:29
SquireBum
Schwa announced this morning that ARA is coming to Reaper.  He didn't provide a projected release time frame, but here is the announcement:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=200297

Hope this helps,
-- Ron
2017/12/03 17:31:47
sharke
Wow that's amazing.
2017/12/03 17:37:08
rcklln
Nice!
2017/12/03 18:01:10
Zargg
Nais
2017/12/03 18:25:01
Susan G
Very exciting news!

-Susan
2017/12/03 18:44:25
highlandermak
How's the midi functionality with Reaper? I keep hearing studio one is challenged in that area however I need the ARA functionality in my life and if reaper' s midi options are good it might be a viable alternative. Thanks
highlandermak
How's the midi functionality with Reaper? I keep hearing studio one is challenged in that area however I need the ARA functionality in my life and if reaper' s midi options are good it might be a viable alternative. Thanks

I find the midi side of REAPER to be easy to use, and extremely versatile. For instance, if you wanted to play one part on your midi keyboard, and have it play to two or more VSTi instruments, it is as easy as adding two or more VSTi instruments to a single track, and then they all play.

From what I remember with Sonar, it was a lot of kludgy steps if you wanted two instruments to play from one midi track.

The PRV and event list are pretty similar to what Sonar has, and I had zero problems with them. Probably one of the trickiest things to learn is how to lace up multiple audio outs, and multiple midi ins on VSTis, but REAPER will even do that for you. You only need to learn where to go and what to tell it you are shooting for.  I use a single midi in on my Superior Drums setup, but I use multiple audio outs for kick, snare, toms, hihat, overhead, and room.

With Kontakt it's frequently the other way around, where I might have multiple midi inputs for horn sections, but only stereo audio outs.  REAPER can do either, and it's not hard to accomplish, but it is different than the way Sonar does it. REAPER does not have audio tracks and midi tracks, or a synth rack.  In REAPER a track can do midi, audio, combinations of both audio and midi, and even contain multiple clips of audio at different sample rates and bit depths if you really want to go crazy.
2017/12/03 23:41:18
skinnybones lampshade
I'm thrilled! Just what I was hoping for! The two-person team seems extremely dedicated and responsive over there. 
2017/12/04 04:08:43
tenfoot
highlandermak
I keep hearing studio one is challenged in that area however I need the ARA functionality in my life.

I really recommend you download the SO demo. The midi is very good. It really only becomes challenging if you use a lot of unusual midi controls for outboard gear (such as uncommon CC messages to control digital mixers etc), at which point the absence of an event editor becomes noticeable. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account