2015/05/08 13:06:53
Blown306
FreeFlyBertl

Hi Jeff,
I would not go on stage having drum VSTi to load for individual songs ... I wouldn't even load a single (unless you trigger them live via e-drums but in that case I would put the VSTi on a different machine to distribute loads) ... anyway, you may want to read up on some of the recent threads on the playlist, there are some really advanced long time users of the playlist around (look maybe for Kicksville posts)

Thanks FreeFlyBertl...I am using V-Drums (and other triggers/controllers) to fire the VSTi's, so I do need to have them running, as well as different kits/patches for each song.  We are still working out the details on the tech side and will be doing some testing soon.  I suppose it would be possible to run the 'live' drums and misc samplers off our backup machine, and have the main machine just play the tracks.  Thanks for the suggestion on that...well worth considering!  Seems like the few standalone hardware vsti players that used to exist have all but vanished.  If anyone has any leads on something still out there PM me the info if you would be so kind, that might also be a viable option.
2015/05/08 13:22:46
Blown306
scook
I scanned the FR threads and could not find one you created but this is similar http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3191682. Similar enough to be merged? IDK, I don't use Playlists but will merge them if asked.

Hi SCook...DjiDoe's request has more functionality than I was seeking...seems like that one is more for direct project access within a playlist, which would be very cool too!  Instead of creating fixed playlists (set lists) for each performance, they can be done 'on the fly', in any order from a master playlist.  (I hope I have that assumption correct). Combining that with project pre-loading and midi start/stop would be a winning ticket IMO.

I'm OK with merging the threads, as long as it's OK with DjiDoe and our individual requests don't get lost in the merge ;-)  
2015/05/08 15:39:54
scook
I think when CW opens the hood on Playlists it would make sense to do both at the same time.
2015/05/11 01:22:55
Notecrusher
I used the Sonar playlist on a gig once. It was one of the most disastrous gigs I've ever played. That thing needs an overhaul if it's going to become a serious live tool.
2015/05/11 04:41:32
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Notecrusher
I used the Sonar playlist on a gig once. It was one of the most disastrous gigs I've ever played. That thing needs an overhaul if it's going to become a serious live tool.

Ever since we use the playlist live (X3e) it has worked fine for us, but we might have different expectations, equipment and degree of testing ...
2015/05/21 00:05:51
Cactus Music
Just a bump to keep this topic fresh at the top. I am trying Sonar for playback but at this point I'm not impressed with the playlist. 
My wishlist once again would be lyrics displayed when song starts and foot control of the playlist. And the playlist always in focus and the projects out of site. 
the time counter set to count backwards but of course Sonar doesn't have a solid ending does it... songs are all infinite.  This is what I'm using for 12 years now and it would be perfect if it could play both audio and output midi tracks. That's all I want. 

Win Amp can actually play midi tracks via wavetable. But I need midi output to control effects and lighting. 
2015/05/23 04:14:33
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Cactus Music
the time counter set to count backwards but of course Sonar doesn't have a solid ending does it... songs are all infinite.  

that should be doable for Cake because in the playlist songs (i.e. Sonar *.prj files) are actually finite. The prj file is read when a song is added to the playlist and its actual length determined (which is important if you have songs to start automatically one after the other like we do).
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account