2017/10/25 15:32:56
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Automatic cloud sync can be turned off in settings and you can choose to sync manually.
You cannot sync via a network since there are server side handshakes required. Cloud Sync does version control checks, queries the catalog of ideas for a user, etc so its not a simple data backup operation.
iOS devices cannot even connect to a local network easily without running through hoops so that would not be a feasible solution for this app.
I recommend trying it since its free to use with 3 ideas. You will get a much better understanding of how convenient it can be...
2017/10/25 15:40:34
pwalpwal
thanks, it seems there's quite some business logic in the middleman cloud
2017/10/25 15:41:02
BassDaddy
If the name was chosen carefully and it does promote momentum, it could be very handy.
2017/10/25 15:43:27
TerraSin
User Edited
2017/10/25 15:50:44
thornton
Well said
2017/10/25 16:21:10
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
TerraSin
You've already made one HUGE mistake: you cannot release a half-done product like this to the general public. 

Why do you think its half done? We have all the features we intended to release in the first version fully baked in what we released. Perhaps you are confusing early access which was done last week. Yesterday we released the full app.
Also I'm not sure what you are expecting from this app. It is NOT intended to be a DAW but its a quick access capture device for ideas and as such the features are streamlined for fast and easy capture without burying the user in features that are not key to this task. 
2017/10/25 16:50:10
Starise
Is this similar to Sonar in that if a subscription lapses we can still use the app with no updates? I'm guessing since this is cloud based the answer is No.
2017/10/25 17:09:40
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Mesh
Thanks Alex for the details.....it's just that subscription model that's putting me off. If there was a way we could purchase it outright, that would definitely change the outlook..... 

Interesting, I'd love to chat with you guys more about this.

During some customer interviews we did get objections about subscription models in general. With one guy, in particular, he said he just hated them.

So I said, "Would you pay $0/month for Momentum?"

He said, "Well, that's free, of course I would."

I followed up with, "So then what's the lowest dollar amount you'd pay above $0?"

He said, "Something like $3/month would be reasonable, I guess, but I don't think you guys would go for that."

I said, "No, that's great feedback, and it's in the ballpark of what we've been thinking". 

Then he said, "Well, what happens when I stop paying my subscription? Do I lose all my audio?"

I said, "No, the point of Momentum is to get your audio out of the platform so you can keep working on it. You can always drag-drop or copy audio out of Momentum and onto your Desktop or in your DAW. So before you stop paying, you'd just grab everything you want/need."

He said, "Ok, that's cool then."
2017/10/25 17:11:45
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
BassDaddy
If the name was chosen carefully and it does promote momentum, it could be very handy.

That's the plan!

What I find interesting is that the value we're delivering isn't necessarily inside the product itself--the value is in helping you moving your music and audio ideas beyond the product.

That's where the name comes from.
2017/10/25 17:13:29
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
TerraSin
I'm still waiting for my phone to get back to try this out but I fall into the category as the others: the subscription prices vs what you get with the subscription are ridiculous and if you don't change it quickly, you're going to get buried in bad reviews.

You've already made one HUGE mistake: you cannot release a half-done product like this to the general public. You are keeping this open to download on these app stores and without the features you're looking to put in already existing and easy to use/understand. You're going to kill the project before it even takes its first steps because the general public isn't interested in the whole 'early access' phase. They will download it, see it doesn't do anything special because the features aren't in place, see the price and damage the project by leaving bad reviews ensuring that this never takes off.

What you need to do is remove all public access to see the app on these stores and limit the downloading to people who are testing it and not launch the app until all the features are in and working. Then before you launch it, you need to come up with a more realistic price point because that alone is going to destroy you. There is no way in hell I'd pay $100 a year for something like this regardless of the ability to put the clips right into my DAW. Cloud storage is cheap these days and gimping your own apps ability in order to turn a profit as high as you're asking for is going to hurt you and ensure that your app goes nowhere while at the same time, damaging the reputation of both the app and of Cakewalk.

We've done enough work with customers throughout this entire process to know that we are delivering value that people want... today.

It may not be interesting to you, and that's OK.

Of course we will continue to grow the product and reach more people.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account