2017/10/25 17:13:36
Starise
So there is a month to month commitment option? This is what it sounds like.
2017/10/25 17:14:55
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Starise
Is this similar to Sonar in that if a subscription lapses we can still use the app with no updates? I'm guessing since this is cloud based the answer is No.

If your subscription lapses, you'll no longer be able to sync with the cloud.

That said, you'll still be able to pull out all the music and audio that's in there. So, in this regard, you won't lose any of your own content.
2017/10/25 17:16:18
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Starise
So there is a month to month commitment option? This is what it sounds like.

Two plans, two options:

Momentum Basic is $2.99/month or $29.99/year
Momentum Pro is $9.99/month or $99.99/year

https://momentum.cakewalk.com/buy

2017/10/25 17:18:53
Starise
Gotcha. So I can pay on a month to month basis, use it for how ever long I want. If I stop paying, my syncing options go away.
In theory I could buy for say two months as an example, transfer hundreds of tracks during that time. Let the sub lapse and I would still have my audio in the cloud only with no syncing.
2017/10/25 17:23:55
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
If your sub lapses indefinitely at some point the audio on the cloud (beyond 3 free ideas) will get deleted. There is a storage cost after all. This part is no different from other cloud storage providers. So its up to you to download and backup your data if you don't want to continue with the service.
2017/10/25 17:27:39
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Starise
Gotcha. So I can pay on a month to month basis, use it for how ever long I want. If I stop paying, my syncing options go away.
In theory I could buy for say two months as an example, transfer hundreds of tracks during that time. Let the sub lapse and I would still have my audio in the cloud only with no syncing.

Right. And just to clarify, no syncing would mean you wouldn't be able to access that audio in the cloud at all.

Momentum in this case would actually revert back to the Free plan, which caps the number of ideas at 3. 
2017/10/25 17:27:43
Starise
This might be of concern to a few. To me it really isn't a major concern, since if it does what it's advertised to do my ideas will already be transferred. 

I'll give this a look. Thanks!
2017/10/25 17:36:59
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
pwalpwal
what samplerate/bitdepths does the "pro" version support?

48K is the max sample rate that we use. If its higher its down converted to 48. IIRC I believe we retain the bit depths from the source files.

BTW related fact: Momentum has some cool tech behind the scenes in the engine. It will handle hybrid sample rates (something even SONAR cannot do). i.e you can record on multiple devices into the same project at different sample rates and it will sample rate convert to the target format in real time. Its using the same SRC code that we use in SONAR.
This was a requirement for this app since a given project could be edited on multiple devices in the normal workflow of a user.
2017/10/25 17:54:30
mettelus
Not sure why, but I get this terrible feeling Gibson's marketing had a hand in this product.
2017/10/25 17:56:51
Mesh
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Mesh
Thanks Alex for the details.....it's just that subscription model that's putting me off. If there was a way we could purchase it outright, that would definitely change the outlook..... 

Interesting, I'd love to chat with you guys more about this.

During some customer interviews we did get objections about subscription models in general. With one guy, in particular, he said he just hated them.

So I said, "Would you pay $0/month for Momentum?"

He said, "Well, that's free, of course I would."

I followed up with, "So then what's the lowest dollar amount you'd pay above $0?"

He said, "Something like $3/month would be reasonable, I guess, but I don't think you guys would go for that."

I said, "No, that's great feedback, and it's in the ballpark of what we've been thinking". 

Then he said, "Well, what happens when I stop paying my subscription? Do I lose all my audio?"

I said, "No, the point of Momentum is to get your audio out of the platform so you can keep working on it. You can always drag-drop or copy audio out of Momentum and onto your Desktop or in your DAW. So before you stop paying, you'd just grab everything you want/need."

He said, "Ok, that's cool then."

Interesting story.... what's also interesting is he "hated" the subscription model, but still subscribed.....(must've been the money thing). 

I can't speak for others in here, but I personally just don't like being tied down/committed to a monthly subscription plan (even at $3). I understand there are costs in maintaining/supporting it and the subscription model will facilitate that well, but I'd rather pay a "little" extra (when initially buying) for that support and own it outright.

I suppose it's probably just having a peace of mind....(just the way I feel about owning Sonar Platinum and all the other software I bought).     
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account