2008/06/14 13:40:29
vespesian
...awesome.
2008/06/14 14:12:08
Jan Geerts
Ok, found that, but now I get error messages that about half of the samples can't be found or loaded (though they're all in the same folder), and strange glide fx. I'm using DLE

Any idea what that can be?

Jan
2008/06/14 15:01:55
b rock
I get error messages that about half of the samples can't be found or loaded (though they're all in the same folder)
Check to see that there are 35 samples in each of the following five folders:

- Combined Choir (8-Voice Choir + Boy's Choir)
- GC3 Brass
- MkII 3 Violins
- MkII Combined Brass
- String Section

The 'Mellotron Samples' folder will have 180 files: 175 samples divided into five sub-folders, plus 5 .sfz files. Take care to place the right 'instrument' into its respective folder. Each of the five 'instruments' have identical file naming conventions for their individual samples.
and strange glide fx
There's nothing in the .sfz mappings that would cause that. Some of the Mellotron samples exhibit pitch drifts at the very end of the tape spool. There's minor glitching in the 'attack' portion of most notes as well. The 'body' of many samples don't strictly align to A440 tuning. That's all part of the charm.

- Edited for clarity.
2008/06/14 18:42:40
Kev999
...now I get error messages that about half of the samples can't be found or loaded ...

Some of the wav files are referred to under the wrong names in two of the sfz files, e.g. Gb3 instead of F#3. To correct this, either edit the sfz text or rename the wavs.
2008/06/14 18:56:05
b rock
Some of the wav files are referred to under the wrong names in two of the sfz files, e.g. Gb3 instead of F#3.
If you can point out exactly where that is, I'd be glad to do the corrections. I'm not seeing those conditions anywhere in these files.

Edit:
Now I see what's happened. When this thread began, the composite .zip files were not on the site. Since then, the author has compiled the samples into instrument groups, and has changed the file names in the process. The .sfz files work as written for the original (individual) sample downloads.
2008/06/15 03:30:06
Jan Geerts
Ok, thanks. I love Mellotron. Time to relearn Starless :D

Jan
2008/06/15 04:18:41
Kev999
Some of the wav files are referred to under the wrong names in two of the sfz files, e.g. Gb3 instead of F#3.
If you can point out exactly where that is, I'd be glad to do the corrections. I'm not seeing those conditions anywhere in these files...
Now I see what's happened. When this thread began, the composite .zip files were not on the site. Since then, the author has compiled the samples into instrument groups, and has changed the file names in the process. The .sfz files work as written for the original (individual) sample downloads.

For the people who downloaded the later version, the unmatched sample files can be identified in the error message displayed in DimPro. The convention of using sharps rather than flats except for Bb has been adopted in the naming of the wav files in the Violins and Combined Brass samples. For the other three sets of wavs (and presumably for all the samples provided in the original download), flats rather than sharps are used throughout.
2008/06/15 08:16:48
b rock
For the people who downloaded the later version
I've added another set of .sfz files, and edited my original reply above to reflect the new developments.

For the newer files (mixed sharps & flats used):
TB - sfz for Mellotron Samples Update (zipped samples)
- for use with the 8 compiled .zip downloads (plus the Gong sample) listed at the Leisureland USA link

The original files (all flats used):
TB - sfz for Mellotron Samples (individual samples)
- for use with the 175 individual sample downloads listed at the Leisureland USA link
-- No longer available for download --
2008/06/15 12:30:18
mose
Thanks for all of your work, b rock. It's interesting just to listen to the sounds.
2008/06/15 23:19:11
apell
I love the old mellotron sounds. They were used by everyone in the 60's - 70's including Bowie, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and King Crimson.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account