• Software
  • A quick look at Presonus Studio One
2017/11/29 22:40:11
jude77
For you guys who are trying to decide which DAW to chase next here are my very first impressions of SO.  Keep in mind I've only used it a few hours and everything could change tomorrow.

1.  It seems to sound more open that SPLAT.  I don't think it actually does, but it seems to.  Go figure that one out.
2.  SPLAT was BEAUTIFUL.  SO seems "cartoony".  SPLAT made me feel more like a pro.
3.  Things are small in SO.  It's hard for me to see track names.  WAV files are teeny.  I'm sure there is a way to make them really larger in So I just haven't found it yet.
4.  SO is EASY.  You drop.  You drag.  You record.  You delete.  easy-peasy
5.  There is no FX bin in SO in the trackview like in SPLAT.  To find out what FX are on a track you have to click twice on it's counsel fader.  I miss that.
6.  SO has slightly quirky keyboard commands.  For instance "undo" is ctrl y rather than control x.  To rewind rather than pressing "W" you press the comma key on the number pad on your keyboard.

Just a few first impressions.  I feel like in time I'll get happy with SO, but darn I'm gonna miss SPLAT!!

2017/11/30 00:19:46
RSMCGUITAR
It's actually ctrl + z to undo... which is the same as Sonar and most other programs.
2017/11/30 02:28:17
Eddie TX
jude77
For you guys who are trying to decide which DAW to chase next here are my very first impressions of SO.  Keep in mind I've only used it a few hours and everything could change tomorrow.

1.  It seems to sound more open that SPLAT.  I don't think it actually does, but it seems to.  Go figure that one out.
2.  SPLAT was BEAUTIFUL.  SO seems "cartoony".  SPLAT made me feel more like a pro.
3.  Things are small in SO.  It's hard for me to see track names.  WAV files are teeny.  I'm sure there is a way to make them really larger in So I just haven't found it yet.
4.  SO is EASY.  You drop.  You drag.  You record.  You delete.  easy-peasy
5.  There is no FX bin in SO in the trackview like in SPLAT.  To find out what FX are on a track you have to click twice on it's counsel fader.  I miss that.

You may already have found how to do these things, but just in case ...

3. You can adjust the height of the tracks in the track window by dragging the header part at the left, where the track names are. Drag the slider at the lower right corner of the track window (looks like a yellow equals sign) to resize the waveforms.

5. Click the up/down arrow icon at the lower left of the screen to see fx/send bins above the faders. I like how you can resize the fx bin so that you can see all your plugins on the tracks. (I like plugins :-)). (BTW, that's one thing I don't like about Cubase -- last I checked, there was a limit on the number of plugins you could have on each track. Like only 6 or 8. Horrors!)

After using it for a little while, I found the S1 interface a lot more user-friendly and manageable than Sonar. 

Cheers,
Eddie
2017/11/30 12:44:43
synkrotron
Eddie TX
5. Click the up/down arrow icon at the lower left of the screen to see fx/send bins above the faders. 

Hi Eddie,

I just checked this out and I think you are referring to the up/down arrows in Console view.

I cannot see a way to display the FX Bin track view.

cheers

andy
2017/11/30 12:48:52
DarinBad
synkrotron
Eddie TX
5. Click the up/down arrow icon at the lower left of the screen to see fx/send bins above the faders. 

Hi Eddie,

I just checked this out and I think you are referring to the up/down arrows in Console view.

I cannot see a way to display the FX Bin track view.

cheers

andy

If I understand you correctly:
Click the 'I' button in the upper-left of arranger view, to show the Inspector.
2017/11/30 14:33:13
Grem
I just spent a few hours total with the new S1. I found out how to display the FX right above the console. Pretty neat. There are buttons on the bottom left and right that change the view/show more (not sure how to describe this) but it reminds me of a combination of Sonar's Skylight UI and Screen Sets put together.

I really like the way that you can size 'all' waveforms at the same time!

And not at home to check but I sure hope that they follow Windows commands with cut/copy/paste
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account