2017/11/25 03:38:54
vladasyn
Hey there

I am reading posts on multiple forums about switching to another DAW and nobody says- they will switch to ProTools. I was looking in to ProTools this spring when I built new Windows computer and needed new Audio Interface. Most of high end Pro level interfaces were for Mac or had ProTools HD compatibility. I was looking in to Antelope but their prices scared me away, and I went with MOTU Thunderbolt system. I use many hardware keyboards and needed MANY hardware inputs.

Because i was planning to use Sonar forever, I did not install any AU option for plugins. I have almost every software synth available on the Market. I need my DAW to have good 3rd party plugins implementation and good MIDI and Composer tools such as Step Sequencer, Piano Roll, Chords editor, Instrument tracks and so on.

Now that I need new DAW, I could give Protools a chance, but I dont have any AU installed. When i was installing my software synth and effects, I unchecked AU option every time. It would be impossible to reinstall everything as it took me 9 months to install everything- I am still installing some updates and libraries.

But my partner says- I should finally go "Pro" and get a real thing. I already paid for Cubase Pro- to me it is the best Pro that would work with VSTs and MIDI. Am I making mistake- should I go with ProTools instead? Why or why not? Thank you.  
2017/11/25 03:51:43
Unknowen
Every plugin I've ever installed has ProTool options. you only have to install them.
I'm thinking ProTools just because its time, may as well go with the the rest and maybe I can pickup some mixing jobs for cash... as soon as I told someone "I use Sonar" it was over for that....

I've seen plenty of Dave P's and Warren H's video to jump into a mix with Tools...
Just savin pennys now until Spring! :)
2017/11/25 04:14:44
35mm
For **** sake don't go Pro Tools. There is nothing pro about it... well, except all the pros use it. Seriously, my personal opinion, I was introduced to it years ago and hated it. I used to be an engineer in the analog days and got out of that when things went digital, I went digital too, but settled down and became a dad. A pro audio collage set up near me and every student I met said, "Pro Tools is great what do you use?" I would say, "Cakewalk. It's the best" They would say, "Oh really? That's not pro though is it?" I would say, "Oh yes it is if you know how to use it like a pro. Pro Tools is the worst pile of boll*cks out there but you have learned how to use it because you have to." This one ex student came up to me a few years later and said, "I'm sorry. You were right. Pro Tools is a pile of crap." The bottom line is that studios only use Pro Tools because it (somehow) became the industry standard the same way that a pair of crap sounding Yamaha NS10's became the industry standard. 'Industry standard' doesn't mean best. It means standard. Save your self the hassle and don't aim for standard! There are so many problems with switching to Pro Tools and once you have done it you just want to go back again.
2017/11/25 04:17:50
bobgassert
Pro tools is what most of the pros are using . Now that its 64 bit and plugin s are AAX 64 its time for me to finally ween myself off Sonar and just go for it ...
2017/11/25 04:30:29
gprokap
Is you had a reason to use tools you'd already be using it.  It's the standard, but it's backward and ****ed.
2017/11/25 04:34:09
Frank Harvey
This Is Very Interesting...............
How many others are pondering Pro Tools ?
How many feel similarly to '35mm' ?
2017/11/25 04:50:05
larkvoz
Sonar Platinum and a decent laptop.  Good to go!

Pro Tools and a decent laptop: No money left, no free time.
2017/11/25 05:16:54
BenMMusTech
Lol ProFools, look if you're a 'real' musician and you don't mind limited functionality beyond editing and mixing...then indeed ProFools is for you, but if you're a composer or a midi composer or indeed a hybrid muso/virtual composer as many of us are her in Cake land...then Pro Fools has nothing to offer. And I'm not even sure how anyone could edit using ProFools either. It is a dogs breakfast, particularly for those of us who like a visual representation of the timing of a piece...Sonar you can change the ruler, or have multiple rulers at the top of the track screen...Pro Fools gets really confusing for me in this regard. I'm not sure if they changed the colour of grey either...even since Sonar could be redskined with a darker colour...it is so much easier on the eyes. I've been bouncing tracks out of X3 over the last few weeks, dotting t's and crossing i's ;)...I can't access old 32bit DXIs included with Project 5, but going back to the grey is really hard on the eye. 

Finally, this idea of industry standard is like Crapple's clever lie - remember It Works. ProFools clever lie of - It's Industry Standard - has and does still cause so much damage to the creative industries in general because of homogenization - their dinky little plugin collection - horrible and ProFools in reality is nothing more than a digital mixing desk and recorder, the creative possibilities are limited in comparison to a program like Sonar, which has...had groove loops, a step sequencer, the prochannel for the newbs, a serperate midi page for midi composing - has ProFools even fixed this? The list goes on...ugh ProFools. I have all these audio production and music tech degrees, and I always refused to use ProFools. 
2017/11/25 05:28:19
35mm
Pro Tools
It's a dog's breakfast.

New marketing slogan for Avid right there!
2017/11/25 05:52:01
Razorwit
Just my .02 - I like PT quite a bit, have for some time, particularly for the film editing and scoring work that comes through my joint. The only thing holding me back now from buying the upgrade to PTHD12 and moving over fully is their ridiculous 32 channel limit for ASIO hardware. If they would support all my I/O I'd probably move over fully. Try it out, you might like it. Horses for courses and all.

Dean
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account