2017/11/25 05:56:32
Frank Harvey
MORE INPUT PLEASE.......This is dashed good info !!
2017/11/25 05:59:58
hbarton
35mm
Pro Tools
It's a dog's breakfast.

New marketing slogan for Avid right there!

Wow, Glad I never went there - thanks for that.

Just curious of your thoughts - it always impressed me that, if you just wanted to be a "mix tech," then PT would be what you should know (so you could jump from studio to studio and get paid to mix). However, if you more of the creative type, then most other DAWs would be the better choice (and a lot cheaper in the long run). Since I never used PT, I am probably not aware of the unique features the PT software offers over the other DAWs (but it sounds like there are not many).

Take care,

h
2017/11/25 06:25:52
John
I think its to each their own. I think as a Sonar user I like to think I am independent. I don't need anyones approval for a choice I make using my own money. If some one is happy with PT so be it. What I think there is far to much of is bashing the other guys choice because its not yours. I went through the DAW wars a long time ago. It is a futile time wasting exercise. If you can make good music using PT then you are doing the right thing.
2017/11/25 06:37:23
Frank Harvey
hbarton
35mm
Pro Tools
It's a dog's breakfast.

New marketing slogan for Avid right there!

Wow, Glad I never went there - thanks for that.

Just curious of your thoughts - it always impressed me that, if you just wanted to be a "mix tech," then PT would be what you should know (so you could jump from studio to studio and get paid to mix). However, if you more of the creative type, then most other DAWs would be the better choice (and a lot cheaper in the long run). Since I never used PT, I am probably not aware of the unique features the PT software offers over the other DAWs (but it sounds like there are not many).

Take care,

h

Hey!........Nice Summary 'h'.........and when I take a cursory glance at 'our' Sonar GUI ( Tracks Views,Console & the rest) ............It simply radiates 'CREATIVITY' ... whereas ..........(following my recent forced investigation) there is something essentially  'Plain Jane' about PT.
I know its about 'AUDIO' but SONAR was King Pin as far as I'm concerned in inspiring you to feel both comfortable and professional as you worked alone.....hours on end........ interfacing with your virtual studio.
I can not believe such a magnificent piece of software is being tipped down the toilet and will be relegated to the 'EXTINCTION' Exhibits at the 'ADVENTURE SCIENCE CENTER' - Nashville.
(ie:I believe that Nashville is where Gibson Head Office Resides).
Good Grief Charlie Brown !!
Cheers ........Frank....... Geelong .............Australia
2017/11/25 06:37:42
mudgel
I’ll be using PT more and more as it is part of my Slate Raven setup.
2017/11/25 06:37:59
Unknowen
well I just spent a few hours in protool... you can use it for free [protools first] no iLok needed....
After using Sonar for years... this seems like a baby toy DAW... too simple, not much of anything...
I was able to even by pass their "Cloud save" as they want to use everything you up load any way they want! lol
5 FX inputs per track/ buss.... 
Man! somehow!!! Splat needs to live on! I'm just doing to Snapshot my computers... then just buy some hard drives and install and pull them onto storage in case I need a fast fix... really this is a cheaper option then buy in pro tools.. 
I'll still look at other DAWs for fun! but... nothing with come close to my SPlat! :(
2017/11/25 06:46:06
mudgel
I would not normally take on PT but using it through Raven makes it a very accomplished piece of kit.

PT doesn’t natively have any touch yet with the touch overlay provided through the Raven software it’s entirely different.
2017/11/25 07:25:25
richardskeltmusic
I used PT when I did a music degree three years ago, and got it on an educational discount. Most of the 10 of us on the course bought a copy, and it was good in that it was easy to transfer work between each other, and our laptops and the studios we recorded in. After I graduated I actually went back to Sonar because after 15 years I was happier in my established workflow and I couldn't work as quickly in PT as it took a little while to work out where functions were - though obviousy that got quicker as familarity grew (I also had it installed on a new macbook so was struggling a bit with MAC/PC functionality).  Those of my classmates who regularly use recording studios are still PT useers - because they really value the fact that they can simply hand their project to the engineer and at the end of their studio time take the file and work on it at home with no complications.  I choose to record at home and haven't been inside a studio since I graduated, so Sonar works for me.  FWIW I also have Logic as it was no-brainer cheap when I got my Macbook. 

I don't think any of the DAWs are rubbish.  Good music has been made on all of them. For sure they are different, but different to what you want isn't rubbish for someone else who is getting what they want.  Some individuals use diferent DAWS for different purposes, and its always easier to collaborate with someone using the same software. 

I am going to start going into studios again and I will probably pick up PT where I left off.  If I was starting from scratch I would ask myself whether I need to work with other people, if I did I would use what they use.  If I was working solo I would find out what the most common DAW was used by musicians who worked in the same fashion (eg EDM vs live studio work).  Any migration needs an open minded approach to adapting your workflow to the strengths of the new environment, and finding new ways to get to the end result of good music. 
2017/11/25 08:16:33
Frank Harvey
ANY MORE PRO TOOLS VS SONAR COMMENTS ?
2017/11/25 08:33:30
djwayne
Pro Tools system requirements ask for a i5 processor., my computer has an i3 processor. So I'd have to replace my computer to use Pro Tools. Nope.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account