• Software
  • MixCraft may as well be Sonar. (p.3)
2017/11/26 17:37:38
Anderton
Video editing in Mixcraft is more comprehensive than any other DAW I've used. One of the main people behind Mixcraft was a key part of the Vegas team...and it shows. It always surprised that a little company like Acoustica could build in better video capabilities than Pro Tools, with its Avid pedigree.
2017/11/26 17:45:37
35mm
All this talk of video editing makes me wonder. I already Premiere and After Effects for that. A video player in a DAW is a must, but editing? Wouldn't that development effort have been better spent on the DAW side of things?
2017/11/26 17:50:11
Anderton
35mm
All this talk of video editing makes me wonder. I already Premiere and After Effects for that. A video player in a DAW is a must, but editing? Wouldn't that development effort have been better spent on the DAW side of things?

Depends. If you're into audio for video, a lot of times Mixcraft is all you need. And again, it wasn't like they had to do some massive R&D effort, the company knows video.
2017/11/26 18:29:00
ampfixer
Right now I'm using Sonar and Vegas (a light version) to do small instructional video's. Simple stuff. Mixcraft will allow me to downsize to 1 program. That's pretty big. I've been using the demo all weekend and just loving it. For those that need live performance features, have a look at what MIxcraft did with markers. Miles ahead of the industry IMHO. 

After the holidays I'm buying it. The few features it's lacking may come to be down the road. 
2017/11/26 20:30:05
StepD
ampfixer
Right now I'm using Sonar and Vegas (a light version) to do small instructional video's. Simple stuff. Mixcraft will allow me to downsize to 1 program. That's pretty big. I've been using the demo all weekend and just loving it. For those that need live performance features, have a look at what MIxcraft did with markers. Miles ahead of the industry IMHO. 

After the holidays I'm buying it. The few features it's lacking may come to be down the road. 

Yeah, after checking out some demos the past several days, I think Mixcraft's video handling is what makes it a real gem. It's does what I thought Sonar and other DAWs should have been concentrating on with video for at least several years. I realize other companies probably don't have the experience Mixcraft developers do, but youtube has become one big platform for promotion and instruction for a pretty long time, and video still seems to be an afterthought for most DAW developers. Pretty much anyone can shoot video these days, and even if you don't want to do that, the ability to use text and stills to create lyric videos or promotional videos on the same timeline as audio AND midi is kind of a big deal. I was surprised to see the Studio One developers even have to ask if being able to export the finished video is that important. :-) The mentality still seems to be that the only reason you would be working with video is for film and tv for some reason. So I think even if I pick up S1 or something, I still want to support Mixcraft. The rest of the program is pretty solid too at this point, and I'm sure it will only get better.
2017/11/26 22:20:06
TPayton
I have been teetering back and forth between Sonar and Mixcraft for a while. It seems Gibson may have just helped me make a decision.

I had just gotten the Sonar console view comfortably customized for my work flow, decided to use it as my DAW of choice, signed up for "lifetime" updates, and then, kapow! The excrement hit the fan. (whose lifetime were they talking about anyway?)  

I started with Mixcraft 6, and it has gotten progressively better with each version. MC8 was a big step forward. Although perhaps not as deep as Sonar, it may be deep enough. Many of the features included in Sonar I do not use anyway. And the ease of use in Mixcraft is very refreshing.

Also, Mixcraft may not be the lightweight many perceive it to be. There are the video capabilities mentioned above, and it also had many new features before Sonar did. (Take lanes, automation lanes to name a couple) 

So while I feel the loss of Cakewalk, and I have been with them since Guitar Tracks 2, I do already have an alternative in place for my personal use. And I also have many quality 3rd party plug-ins from SoundToys, the plug-in Alliance and others.  So as a home recordist this will have little impact on my music creation. That said....   All the best to the Bakers and all others for whom this event may cause distress, inconvenience and expense.

Tom

2017/11/27 02:18:41
Ken Matson
bitflipper
I, too, was quite impressed by Mixcraft. In my mind, it had been a dumbed-down DAW for singer-songwriters. But that was based on a long-ago quick look, now outdated. So many great features now. I feel like I could slip into it effortlessly, probably more so than any other DAW.

Having an Android app for remote transport control is a plus, since I've yet to replace my beloved Tranzport that died with Windows 7. Presonus has an app, too, but only for iOS. I'm not going to by an iPad for that.

Don't know about video, though.

My tranZport works fine with Windows 10 and sonar. It is also working with Studio One now. Just FYI. Also the studio one remote app works pretty good although it's awful tiny on my phone.
2017/11/27 02:19:08
SimpleM
Just broke the ice with Mixcraft but at first glance it is really solid for the type of recording I do.  Have not edited in it yet but if that goes well, we may have a winner.

$99, I just bought it.  Hell, I threw that much away on Sonar "Lifetime".

2017/11/27 02:21:47
Ken Matson
I know a lot of people are attracted by the claims of a small, software-only company, but to me that's very scary now after what just happened. I want something backed by some deeper pockets who don't have all their eggs in one basket.
2017/11/27 02:29:05
djwayne
I also just bought Mixcraft because I really like the program. With a program this good, it won't be long until they are a very successful company. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account