• Software
  • MixCraft may as well be Sonar. (p.4)
2017/11/27 02:34:20
Ken Matson
I'm afraid that if that line of fault were valid, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now!
2017/11/27 02:55:18
JonD
Mixcraft is still a bit behind in MIDI, for example no way to do a gradual (smooth) tempo change.  Or no Event viewer if you need to get into nitty-gritty of MIDI.  Plus the GUI needs some "refinement".

Still, I would happily recommend it to the hobbyist who doesn't need all the bloat/power features you see in sPlat and Cubase Pro.
2017/11/27 08:41:42
soens
Trying it out tonight. So far it's pretty slick but not sure if I can beat the Sunday night $99 deal deadline.

Someone said the GUI was kinda cartoonish. Nicely, all the GUI files are in a folder (mixrez) and can be repainted like Sonar's. So custom themes can be made for it.

Has Multidock style views. Big + is the Docked views can be displayed on a separate monitor.

Clips have their own play, mute, loop buttons. Very handy for editing.

MIDI editing is probably not up to Sonar but I haven't got that far yet.

Has cool MIDI Learn button for setting up your controller. Just did mine (transport only controller) and couldn't have been easier. The missing Stop button means I have to use the controller's Play button for Play & Pause. No RTZ button either.

A CON is the Time Ruler only displays Beats or Time, not both. Worse yet it affects both the Ruler and the Now Time. I like to have them showing opposite stats.

Only glitch I'm noticing so far is the softsynths tend to freeze up while playing them with the QWERTY keys.
When played with a controller the latency is very noticeable. Haven't seen how to adjust that if you can.
2017/11/27 09:30:20
soens
Sweetwater sale just ended @midnight. Went to JRRSHOP and got it for $84.15. $99 - $14.85. MF still had it for $99 when bought it.

Waiting for manually generated download license. 14 days left on demo so no hurry.
2017/11/27 10:05:01
Mully
Interesting....about to check it out. Thanks Flip and all for the heads up on this option...missed the $99 option though 
2017/11/27 12:11:09
subtlearts
Ken Matson
I know a lot of people are attracted by the claims of a small, software-only company, but to me that's very scary now after what just happened. I want something backed by some deeper pockets who don't have all their eggs in one basket.

You mean, you'd be happier if they were backed by a big established company like say, Gibson? 🤤
2017/11/27 15:48:05
AT
I don't know if this is the proper place, but the drivers page is kinda confusing w/ Core and ASIO, soens.  The ASIO didn't have anything in its slot so I was working w/ Core at first, but the latency was 20 ms.  When I finally hit the blank drop down menu on ASIO all my interface drivers were available.  And I don't know how good the latency read out is (roundtrip?), but SONAR's 8 ms with my TASCAM UH-7000 dropped to 1.5 ms in Mixcraft.  And there was no noticeable delay with soft synths.  Sometimes, learning a new DAW is fun.
2017/11/27 21:15:52
BENT
Happy with Mixcraft... for now at least
2017/11/27 22:01:41
TPayton
subtlearts
Ken Matson
I know a lot of people are attracted by the claims of a small, software-only company, but to me that's very scary now after what just happened. I want something backed by some deeper pockets who don't have all their eggs in one basket.

You mean, you'd be happier if they were backed by a big established company like say, Gibson? 🤤

Or perhaps Phillips?

AT
I don't know if this is the proper place, but the drivers page is kinda confusing w/ Core and ASIO, soens.  The ASIO didn't have anything in its slot so I was working w/ Core at first, but the latency was 20 ms.  When I finally hit the blank drop down menu on ASIO all my interface drivers were available.  And I don't know how good the latency read out is (roundtrip?), but SONAR's 8 ms with my TASCAM UH-7000 dropped to 1.5 ms in Mixcraft.  And there was no noticeable delay with soft synths.  Sometimes, learning a new DAW is fun.

I have better latency figures on my Scarlett 18i20 with Mixcraft.
2017/11/27 22:06:05
TPayton
Ken Matson
bitflipper
I, too, was quite impressed by Mixcraft. In my mind, it had been a dumbed-down DAW for singer-songwriters. But that was based on a long-ago quick look, now outdated. So many great features now. I feel like I could slip into it effortlessly, probably more so than any other DAW.

Having an Android app for remote transport control is a plus, since I've yet to replace my beloved Tranzport that died with Windows 7. Presonus has an app, too, but only for iOS. I'm not going to by an iPad for that.

Don't know about video, though.

My tranZport works fine with Windows 10 and sonar. It is also working with Studio One now. Just FYI. Also the studio one remote app works pretty good although it's awful tiny on my phone.

My Frontier Design Tranzport works just fine in Mixcraft. (and W10) In fact, Acoustica specifically mentions support for it in Mixcraft 8. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account