• Software
  • Where are you in your search for a new DAW? (p.4)
2017/11/25 05:26:46
Mosvalve
DeeringAmps

I guess one could always open any cwp file in X3, save as a mid file, and export all audio at measure 1.

T

My understanding is Splat projects won't open in earlier versions. It's not backward compatible
2017/11/25 05:32:23
Amicus717
Cactus Music
I will stick with Sonar until it drops dead,, That might be a long time. This whole evaluation of other software really makes you realize how good we have it with Sonar. NONE of these other DAW's have ALL of the features we've been using. NONE. 
Cubase at this point ,, just reading, seems to be the closest because for me midi is important. I'm downloading it but It's Huge compared to the others at 9 GB,, Last time I tried the download wouldn't install. 9 GB?? it better e good. I have Cubase 5 LE and it's real boring. Came with my Tascam interface. 

I just downloaded MixBus and I think for straight audio it might have a unique sound. I imported a midi file , it sounded real good, I'll give them top marks for their version of TTS-1 but heLI if I could figure out how to edit or load a different VST. I also couldn't figure out how to do simple things like re size the work areas. It's certainly a reasonable price for the basic version at $100. But clicking a mouse does nothing so it's kind of like a beginner DAW. 

I also downloaded Mix Craft. Closer to Sonar in GUI and at least you could re size windows and find things. Much better interface than mix buss and opening it was logical and scanned my VST folders. So a step up from Mix Bus GUI and interface wise..  But,, I loaded a midi file and it injected a terrible sounding synth and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to change it. I tried for 10 minutes. I don't care, if simple things like changing a VST are that hidden it's not for me. Price is reasonable but Home Studio would blow it out of the water. 

Cubase is hogging my internet so I can't try Studio 1 just yet . I have a free version from 2 years ago, not sure it's fair to compare it being it was free so more like Sonar LE. It was like Cubase LE and boring. 

I didn't realize until tonight that the Cubase 8.5 demo requires an e-licenser. Means I can't try it out. I'd consider buying it, if I could test drive it first, but I don't want to buy an e-licenser to test something I may never purchase. Too bad. I hear its the best for midi implementation...
2017/11/25 08:08:01
mumpcake
For the most part I am taking my time on this.  Of course, this might change, but I'm sure SONAR will last a year and by next BF I might have a better idea of what fits my needs.
2017/11/25 13:29:08
DeeringAmps
"My understanding is Splat projects won't open in earlier versions. It's not backward compatible"
You are correct sir! (how did I miss that? Why am I asking you?)
Now that sucks!
(edit)
I've been watching Cubase vids, demoing MixCraft, working in SO3 a little.
None of them are Splat; basically I've wasted a day I could have spent in the studio.
I'll "hang" with Cubase on Tuesday, but no x86 version, and the dongle, just doesn't excite me. (my office rig is x86)
I'm going to "sit tight" until I leave Win 7, and that may be awhile; I'm less motivated than ever!
Danny's advice below really is the best way to go; don't panic, run with what you know.
T
2017/11/25 21:17:42
anydmusic
I'm now thinking about accelerating my replacement plans with Studio One or Cubase my most likely choice.

Just not sure that missing out on a generous Cross Grade offer while it is available makes sense no matter how confident I am that Sonar will continue to work.
2017/11/25 21:50:22
cclarry
I'm just about there...I'm going S1 3 Pro...

I came from Cubase and don't want to go 
back.  Too expensive.

2017/11/25 22:07:19
anydmusic
cclarry
I'm just about there...I'm going S1 3 Pro...

I came from Cubase and don't want to go 
back.  Too expensive.

What made Cubase expensive? Upgrades seem reasonably priced. Is there something that I'm missing?
2017/11/25 22:16:53
BobF
I've used SO3 Pro for several months.  I really like most of it, but the lack of track templates is a PITA; especially with multitrack drums.  Other than, the mixer/console view gets really visually mucky once you a few tracks and buses in it ... which leads to my favorite thing about Reaper.  Tracks are tracks are buses are folders.

Someone above mentioned it being a tweaker's DAW.  I agree.  But that is a pro not a con.  The good news is you can use it as is and gradually change menus and toolbars to be an exact fit for what you want.

SO3 Pro is really close for me.  It has a lot to like.

I'm on Reaper for now
2017/11/25 22:17:00
Danny Danzi
Just curious, why are you guys so quick to move onto something else? Aren't you sick up updates, learning new stuff, dealing with configurations, bugs, updating to the latest and greatest only to have things that worked broken? Don't you spend more time messing with stuff than getting work done when you move to something new or always try to be get the latest and greatest?

I so gave up on that years ago. I have a few boxes with Sonar Plat on them and it works great for me on Win 7 and 10. If I was stuck with this for the rest of my life, I'd be golden. I don't go on the net, I don't do windows updates and I can turn on my machine and work without any issues. If you've had problems with Sonar, please disregard this message.

For what it's worth, I have several boxes with different operating systems on them that still work. I've compiled the best versions of my software and use them to this day if I need them. I'll do the same here. However, it's been a breath of fresh air to turn on my machines and just work. One of the good things for me with the Gibson take over was my bugs were very few and far between. Even beta versions of the software worked extremely well for how *I* use it. I've never been happier, quite honestly and the last thing I want to do is go learn something new and deal with updates, fixes, possible re-configurations and troubleshooting more than I work. Seriously, are you guys that bent on moving to something else simply because the company is shutting down?

I'm sure they will compensate those who have paid so that you can use the software. To my knowledge, anyone who paid can use the last version they paid for indefinitely...you just wouldn't get any additional updates which won't be happening anyway, right? Or did I misunderstand that business model? Whatever the case, I paid for a lifetime subscription even though I helped out behind the scenes. I expect to be able to use that for as long as I'm alive if need be. At the end of the day, though new technology is awesome and we live in good times as far as that goes, I absolutely love turning on my machine and going to work without any issues knowing and using a DAW I've used since Cake 3.0. Just my 0.2 and I totally respect those who don't feel as I do. Just trying to make you think for a second. :)

-Danny
2017/11/25 22:20:42
BobF
Danny Danzi
Just curious, why are you guys so quick to move onto something else?
-Danny

I started learning potential replacements a couple of years ago.  I personally see no point in continuing with something that will go away sooner or later ... probably sooner with MS history.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account