• Software
  • Where are you in your search for a new DAW? (p.6)
2017/11/26 05:15:03
Danny Danzi
cclarry
In response to Danny...WHY?

While Sonar will continue to work for a while, if it does not get
picked up, it most CERTAINLY will die.  So, why wait until the 
LAST MINUTE?  Continue working it what you already know
while LEARNING the new one, and then make the transition
slowly.  Better than to wake up one day in the middle of a MAJOR
PROJECT, and find that your DAW no longer works...

Thanks for the reply. But I'm lost. How will it die? If I have say win 7 on a box and sonar plat with my code for forever since I paid for a lifetime subscription per Noel's latest post, how will sonar die? I see it dying two ways.

1. I put a version of windows on that doesn't support sonar. That won't happen because I never upgrade my OS. I buy a new machine and have all my old ones in working order. From win 98 SE, vista, XP, 7, 10 and have cake pro audio 9 through to plat between all of them. They still work. So I'm lost.

2. If Noel isn't correct and I don't receive my forever code....that is the only way I see myself not using sonar. I have all my software backed up, my systems all have drive back ups, so I feel pretty good. If I'm missing something Larry, please let me know? Heck I could use Sonar X2 or X3 and still be completely satisfied.
2017/11/26 06:21:42
dubdisciple
But what does his holy noodleness think?
2017/11/26 11:29:40
cclarry
Danny Danzi
cclarry

Thanks for the reply. But I'm lost. How will it die? If I have say win 7 on a box and sonar plat with my code for forever since I paid for a lifetime subscription per Noel's latest post, how will sonar die? I see it dying two ways.

1. I put a version of windows on that doesn't support sonar. That won't happen because I never upgrade my OS. I buy a new machine and have all my old ones in working order. From win 98 SE, vista, XP, 7, 10 and have cake pro audio 9 through to plat between all of them. They still work. So I'm lost.

2. If Noel isn't correct and I don't receive my forever code....that is the only way I see myself not using sonar. I have all my software backed up, my systems all have drive back ups, so I feel pretty good. If I'm missing something Larry, please let me know? Heck I could use Sonar X2 or X3 and still be completely satisfied.

Sonar, as it is, may not die for you being on Win 7.  Most are on Win 10, and with constant updates
eventually it WILL cease to funtion.  Furthermore, like 8 Tracks and Cassettes, eventually it WILL
become "Obsolete".  Hey I'm not saying you can't "tie your system down and make it keep working".
I'm sure if you still had a 286 Machine you could run Win 3.1 just fine.  But the prudence is pretty
self explanatory.

But you are free to keep your machine antiquated if that works for you....but it, too, will EVENTUALLY
die.
2017/11/26 12:29:02
Makzimia
@Danny, for me it’s a hardware consideration, I want to keep using my Mac Pro. Bootcamp was just a PITA. Since the lack of a Mac version of Sonar happened. I’ve given up on the idea of Sonar for the future. With a DAW platform that is cross OS compatible, I can learn it again more thoroughly and when the time comes I can’t afford a new Mac all my projects can be switched over easily.
2017/11/26 14:13:15
Fleer
I’m OK with Buddha, John.
Starting to look like him.
Take care, my fellow traveler.
2017/11/26 21:19:47
kitekrazy1
I'm going to use the other DAWs I have.  I had half of them on the Music Radar "poll".
2017/11/27 01:05:35
JohnKenn
Just a comment on Noel's note of giving a permanent unlock on our investment going forward in light of the demise of everything Cakewalk.

This was done with honor from the Cake folks, and the only respectable exit when something like this comes down.

I know nothing about the dynamics of the demise, but feel that the staff, moderators, engineers, support staff never wanted this to happen.

Many companies have gone south leaving us peons in the dark regarding the question of future authorizations. Don't have to list them, but anyone over 30 years old has survived the rage.

So sad and bummed out that Cakewalk is going down. At least they have done their exit in an honorable way.

John
2017/11/27 01:53:39
kitekrazy1
cclarry
Danny Danzi
cclarry

Sonar, as it is, may not die for you being on Win 7.  Most are on Win 10, and with constant updates
eventually it WILL cease to funtion.  Furthermore, like 8 Tracks and Cassettes, eventually it WILL
become "Obsolete".  Hey I'm not saying you can't "tie your system down and make it keep working".
I'm sure if you still had a 286 Machine you could run Win 3.1 just fine.  But the prudence is pretty
self explanatory.

But you are free to keep your machine antiquated if that works for you....but it, too, will EVENTUALLY
die.

Acid Pro 7 still working on W10. Developers haven't stopped putting out 32 bit.  I've decided to keep installing 32 bit for Acid.  Just tested Spire on it.  Too bad there wasn't a full midi window for it.  This was going to be my DAW of choice. See what happen to it.  There are also users still messing with Project 5.
2017/11/27 01:54:38
kitekrazy1
Makzimia
@Danny, for me it’s a hardware consideration, I want to keep using my Mac Pro. Bootcamp was just a PITA. Since the lack of a Mac version of Sonar happened. I’ve given up on the idea of Sonar for the future. With a DAW platform that is cross OS compatible, I can learn it again more thoroughly and when the time comes I can’t afford a new Mac all my projects can be switched over easily.

If I had Mac I'd go with Logic and never look back.
2017/11/27 02:07:58
djwayne
I tried many bought Cubase Elements then tried out Mixcraft....I loved Mixcraft from the very first look at the demo. I had a few problems with the 64 bit version, uninstalled it and installed the 32 bit version and everything then worked great. I loaded up a test audio track in just a few seconds, I then loaded up a video track in just a few seconds, both worked perfectly on the first try. I was even able to edit the video in just a few seconds. This program is so easy for me to use I love it and won't miss Sonar at all. Granted I don't know the whole program yet, but from what I've seen so far, it's awesome !!!!!!!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account