• Software
  • Where are you in your search for a new DAW? (p.8)
2017/11/27 10:28:00
ZincTrumpet
I am sticking with SPlat until it stops working. 

I already have Studio One 3 Pro (still have a problem with v3.5 onwards relating to the new low latency features - I have printed off the latest guide on this here  https://forums.presonus.com/download/file.php?id=7582 and will see if I can solve the problems) and have also just added Notion at crossgrade price to cover my notation needs. I am dual booting Windows 7 and 10 but use W 7 about 99% of the time. So I could also try the latest S1Pro in W10. 

I already have Cubase Elements 9 and will upgrade to 9.5 for £17. I quite like the workflow, chord track feature and some of the instruments. Decided against Cubase Pro as it is probably overkill for my needs. I am hoping that the GM mode in Halion will do as a replacement for TTS-1 which I find very useful and use a lot for auditioning MIDI files (thanks abacab for the tip).

I already have Reaper which I never really spent much time with after buying SPlat. I quite liked it whne I did use it and it had come on a long way since then.

I decided against Mixcraft after trying the demo. The workflow I use a lot with Antares Harmony Evo (mentioned elsewhere so I won't detail again here) doesn't work as I would like and it also did not pick up my full Melodyne Editor. I see a few people on their forum mention similar issues with Melodyne. Anyway, I think I am covered as far as DAWs are concerned so don't really need Mixcraft as well. 

BTW my goto reverb is Breverb 2 in SPlat (especially the Cathedral preset). I have loads of other reverbs but I just love the sound of this so I will probably buy the full upgrade - around $83 in cart at JRR with free Galaxy X-FX .
2017/11/27 20:43:30
Makzimia
kitekrazy1
Makzimia
@Danny, for me it’s a hardware consideration, I want to keep using my Mac Pro. Bootcamp was just a PITA. Since the lack of a Mac version of Sonar happened. I’ve given up on the idea of Sonar for the future. With a DAW platform that is cross OS compatible, I can learn it again more thoroughly and when the time comes I can’t afford a new Mac all my projects can be switched over easily.

If I had Mac I'd go with Logic and never look back.

The only issue is kite, I may not always have a Mac. I love Logic Pro and the way my X-touch works with it also, but, reality is, I am not as free and easy with my wifes money to consider ever getting a new Mac Pro, the only possibly scenario might be upgrading my older one a little more with new parts. For now, I am happy with Cubase mostly, just need to make a template for the X-touch :).

Tony
2017/11/28 00:55:41
abacab
ZincTrumpet
I am sticking with SPlat until it stops working.

I will too.  But is it a bit depressing to realize that it has been deprecated.  After two decades with Cakewalk, I find that aspect a bit UN-inspirational.  

But with that said, Project 5 from Cakewalk still runs, even on Windows 10 years after it was killed by Cakewalk.  The only downside with that is that it's 32-bit only, and single threaded.  Not an issue with the latest Sonar!!! 

I already have Cubase Elements 9 and will upgrade to 9.5 for £17. I quite like the workflow, chord track feature and some of the instruments. Decided against Cubase Pro as it is probably overkill for my needs. I am hoping that the GM mode in Halion will do as a replacement for TTS-1 which I find very useful and use a lot for auditioning MIDI files (thanks abacab for the tip).

I think I will grab the latest Cubase Elements, which has the best MIDI support I have seen in a DAW outside of Sonar!!!

BTW my goto reverb is Breverb 2 in SPlat (especially the Cathedral preset). I have loads of other reverbs but I just love the sound of this so I will probably buy the full upgrade - around $83 in cart at JRR with free Galaxy X-FX .

I do like that Breverb too!!! Might have to add that one to my shopping list!!!
2017/11/28 01:21:20
djwayne
First I bought Cubase Elements 9.0, then I bough Mixcraft 8.0 (Pro Version), the I got a deal on Studio One 3 Artist version...I'm planning taking some time and work with all three to see which one I gravitate to. I'm thinking Cubase for midi, Mixcraft for working with loops, and making mp3's. Studio One Artist for basic audio. Well see after I've spent some time with each one. 
2017/11/28 01:37:34
rj davis
My priorities are comping, Mackie implementation and melodyne integration, so S1 is far ahead of the pack at this time.  Open to alternatives, but my post is dead...

Mixbus was too thin in the comping department.  Lots else to like there though.

S1 revealed more opportunities for plugin control than I realized with SPlat, a bonus as well.
2017/11/28 01:49:39
abacab
djwayne
First I bought Cubase Elements 9.0, then I bough Mixcraft 8.0 (Pro Version), the I got a deal on Studio One 3 Artist version...I'm planning taking some time and work with all three to see which one I gravitate to. I'm thinking Cubase for midi, Mixcraft for working with loops, and making mp3's. Studio One Artist for basic audio. Well see after I've spent some time with each one. 

Those are all great points!  Too bad there isn't one DAW that does it all!!! 
2017/11/28 02:24:36
djwayne
Another cool thing about having multiple programs is most come with a collection of loops, all totaled I have almost 9,000 loops in my Mixcraft program now !!!!!
2017/11/28 03:56:12
35mm
My heart and loyalty are still with Splat and I will still use it for now, but I will be getting another DAW so I can get my teeth into that and learn it while moving my work over to it. I'm heading for Cubase Pro because it's the only sensible replacement for Sonar for me. Everything else is too lightweight or focussed on one task only. I heard fantastic things about Studio One Pro so tried out the demo and sure it's nimble and easy to learn because it only has a basic feature set. However, I think it's heading in a good direction and when it's more mature I will pick up a discounted license some day and use it for some stuff maybe.

A lot of people seem to be overlooking Cubase because it doesn't support ARA, but you can still use Melodyne VST  with it easily enough and it has its own system similar to Melodyne built right in. Then others slate it because it requires a USB dongle. I don't have a problem with that. I have various USB dongles for other software I use. It's no big deal.

I also have Mixbus and FL Studio which I use for certain things but they alone are not robust enough to be my main DAW.
2017/11/28 04:13:04
djwayne
So now that I've got my software situation settled, back to the kitchen. My new mixer arrived today and I just used it to make a batch of Lemon Ice Cream. It came out awesome !! I experimented with my own recipe and ended up with some really tasty lemon sherbert. The new Ice Cream Maker attachment is super simple to use...I'll be using this a lot. I have a couple of ice cream recipe books coming, one from Ben and Jerry's...
2017/11/28 05:45:54
Fleer
Now that’s entertainment!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account