• Software
  • Where are you in your search for a new DAW? (p.9)
2017/11/28 06:58:09
telecharge
35mm
I also have Mixbus and FL Studio which I use for certain things but they alone are not robust enough to be my main DAW.

Mixbus I get, but where does FL Studio fall short for you?
2017/11/28 08:20:50
35mm
telecharge
35mm
I also have Mixbus and FL Studio which I use for certain things but they alone are not robust enough to be my main DAW.

The mixer for one thing, but the list goes on. I love FL Studio for some things but it's not a complete solution for me. 
2017/11/28 11:00:41
synkrotron
Primary DAW = SONAR Platinum

Secondary DAW = Studio One 3

Tertiary DAW = Reaper
2017/11/28 14:37:43
abacab
I just remembered that I had an unused license for Ableton Live 9 Lite.  Installed it and taking a look around ... have a very cheap upgrade offer still on the table for an old Live 5 license. 
2017/11/28 14:58:42
abacab
35mm
telecharge
35mm

The mixer for one thing, but the list goes on. I love FL Studio for some things but it's not a complete solution for me. 

I tried a demo of FL Studio 12 earlier this year. 

First impressions:  I would say that it seems very polished, and the install and scan for plugins was very painless. 

Pros:  I think it may have the best PRV editor I have seen in any DAW.  It also has a rabid fan base, so there are a lot of how-to videos available.

Lifetime updates is a plus!

Cons (for me): The channel rack workflow was a deal breaker for me.  I work with 98% virtual instruments, so having to first insert the instruments into the channel rack (a combination synth rack and step sequencer/MIDI pattern recorder), instead of a track in the arrangement, seems like such a different workflow from a mainstream DAW. 

Did not care for keeping the instruments separate from the track arrangement.  To have to first record a MIDI pattern in the channel rack, then insert it in a track seems like an extra step.

Appears to be highly optimized for making beats with samples in a step sequencer.  Nothing wrong with that, if that is the goal! 

And the mixer too ... just found the whole channel rack, mixer, playlist (track view) arrangement unnecessarily cumbersome.  My two cents. 
2017/11/28 16:57:44
bitflipper
It's been a lot of fun exploring what's out there in DAW-land. Unfortunately, every one of them has some severe limitation compared to SONAR.

Makes you think about what you really need in a DAW. For example, which is more important, Melodyne integration or MIDI editing? 

Reminds me of an old Peanuts cartoon, where Charlie Brown ponders:
Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.'

This is going to take more than one night.
2017/11/29 00:41:05
Mosvalve
I currently work with Sonar, studio One 3, Reaper and Mixbus. I think I'm well covered if one should fail.
2017/11/29 01:46:53
abacab
bitflipper

This is going to take more than one night.

That's the quote of the year right there!!! 
2017/11/29 02:07:45
Fog
telecharge

That's a bit troubling since 32-bit is on the way out. Some plug-ins are now releasing only 64-bit versions.

superwave stuff is all 32 bit, they have told me to use jbridge, it's not free.. and I'm in too minds if I can be bothered with superwave..lol
2017/11/29 02:10:12
djwayne
bitflipper
It's been a lot of fun exploring what's out there in DAW-land. Unfortunately, every one of them has some severe limitation compared to SONAR.

This is why I ended up with three different programs. Each one has their high points. I also ended up buying a few Waves plug-ins to beef up my DAW's capabilities. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account