• Software
  • Studio One looks WAY too crude (p.5)
2017/11/26 03:04:41
RSMCGUITAR
35mm
Yes, that is true, but we loved it for what it was. S1 is nothing in comparison. It can do only about 40% of what I can do in Somar. I absolutely can not do the music I did in S1 that I did in Sonar. I expect it to be different, but when people say it's the same... I'm sorry but no it is not. S1 is a million miles away from Sonar. The only thing closer is Cubase and that is sh*t as well. There seriously is no replacement for Sonar. It was that good!

Seems like you keep hammering the same point home but have yet to mention a single thing Sonar does that S1 can't do. Saying it can only do 40% of what Sonar can do is a very bold claim.
2017/11/26 03:09:31
The new LP plugs from Cakewalk work in Studio One 3. Although I must say the first time I tried one in S13 it crashed Studio One. The first time in 2 1/2 years that Studio One has ever crashed on me, and still the only time, the irony that it was a Cakewalk Product that caused it was not lost on me lol
2017/11/26 04:49:38
dwardzala
I gotta say, I spent about 3 hours with S1 tonight in my studio.  I don't think there is much that it can't do.  How to do it is different, but functionally it is pretty close to Sonar.  There are even some things it does more efficiently (better).  There is a learning curve to be sure.
2017/11/26 06:17:48
denverdrummer
There's not a lot of glitz and glamour to SO3, but it's come so far since version one, and it's a great program for getting things done quickly.  I am primarily moving to Cubase, but I have had S1 Pro since version 1, and have kept it up.  I mainly used it for collaboration projects at church which is 100% mac shop, and using presonus studio live mixers, but I've also done a few projects on it.  Personally I always felt I could get better results with Sonar, but that may just be me. although in playing around with Cubase I seem to get better results with it as well.  I think the effects in Sonar and in Cubase sound better, but that's subjective.  I absolutely loved the Sonitus EQ's as well as the pro channel effects.  The S1 effects are OK, they are great for folks who are new to recording or just want to get things done quick.  To me Midi is the one thing that really holds S1 back from being a truly great product, IMO.
2017/11/26 07:27:01
tenfoot
RSMCGUITAR
35mm
Yes, that is true, but we loved it for what it was. S1 is nothing in comparison. It can do only about 40% of what I can do in Somar. I absolutely can not do the music I did in S1 that I did in Sonar. I expect it to be different, but when people say it's the same... I'm sorry but no it is not. S1 is a million miles away from Sonar. The only thing closer is Cubase and that is sh*t as well. There seriously is no replacement for Sonar. It was that good!

Seems like you keep hammering the same point home but have yet to mention a single thing Sonar does that S1 can't do. Saying it can only do 40% of what Sonar can do is a very bold claim.

You do seem to be on the warpath 35mm:) There are things I miss from Sonar, event view in particular, but I am yet to find anything that 'can't be done'.

Perhaps you will find ways to complete your opus if you spend a bit more time with it. Sometimes its just a matter of letting go of old habits.
2017/11/26 07:34:28
tenfoot
doncolga

Same experience here.  The very first thing most useful for me in the S1 GUI was the ease of track management with the Track List that was so easy to get to, or just keep on the screen.  I found high track counts hard to manage in the Sonar GUI...massive amounts of scrolling and clicking; much easier for me in S1.

Once you learn how a handful of common bread and butter things are done in S1, it's really efficient for workflow.  

I thought exactly that this morning setting up a lighting control Studio One 'song' with 135 midi tracks that I transfered from Sonar. Seems pretty straightforward and well thought out to me. Kind of starting to feel like I have decluttered:)
2017/11/26 08:18:19
Larry Jones
Studio One seems to have a faster, smoother workflow than Sonar. I played with the demo today, didn't read the manual (much), and managed to record and mix a "song," MIDI drums, synth bass, Addictive Keys piano, electric guitar. As a songwriter this is the kind of project I normally do. I did some auto-punches on the MIDI tracks and experimented with many effects. An example of smoother workflow: S1 activated input echo and armed for record on any track I clicked on. In SONAR I often had to click on a track, enable input echo, go back to the previous MIDI track I'd been working on, disable input echo there, then go back to the MIDI track I wanted to hear, ad infinitum. There were other examples, but you get the idea.

Frankly I don't care what the GUI looks like as long as I can see it and use it. For me a bigger concern is do I want to start new projects in a discontinued DAW that is not being developed or supported? SONAR is the only DAW I've ever used. I know it, I'm good at it, and I like it. I'll keep it installed, and no doubt I'll go back to it from time to time. But it might be time to move on.

Note to everybody: The odds of Cakewalk being resurrected after being shut down like this are very slim. Don't hang your hopes on that dream.
2017/11/26 08:40:46
synkrotron
Had my first "glitch" this morning...

Audio stopped, even though the song was still playing. The meter on my OCTA-CAPTURE was at FSD.

I couldn't find a way in SO3 to reset things so I shut down it down and restarted it.

In fact, I have it playing something in the background and it has just stopped again...

So, that is a little bit worrying.

That said, SO3 didn't crash and I was able to save the song.

Anyway, as for the looks, I can't see the problem... The more I use it the more I like it. I just need to suss out why my audio keeps crashing...

I might even buy it before any crossgrade announcement.
2017/11/26 08:47:46
Rimshot
Since I use both DAWS, if you don't know S1 or have not really tried to use/learn it, I recommend holding off on bashing it until you do. It really can provide a great platform for many users. 
It's funny reading some of the comments here from people that don't know it but make bold claims of what it isn't or can't do. I appreciate those that are learning it that have good things to say about.

The point is if you are looking for another DAW, you have to do solid homework so that what you choose works for you. But you really won't know that until you try it.

2017/11/26 11:07:27
mettelus
Sort of ironic that folks with hundreds (or more) hours under their belt with SONAR complain they cannot master a new DAW in a few hours (these posts are everywhere now). Perhaps it is karma for the newbies in here that suffered when learning SONAR, but a few hours isn't going to gain a truckload of empathy from most.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account