• Software
  • Studio One looks WAY too crude (p.6)
2017/11/26 13:12:58
musichoo
I have 10 years with sonar and 2 months with S1 3. I am very happy with S1 because it is more stable than Sonar on my pc. Yes there is a learning curve. I watched groove3 and youtube videos. And the end I could complete my midi sequencing, audio recording, comping, mixing and mastering. I think it is a very well designed, efficient and logical DAW.

I don't think it is fair to bash a daw just because you had tried it for 2 to 3 hours. How much time did you spend on Sonar before you can complete a project? You should give it at least 2 to 3 days when you are demoing a Daw. Or else you will never know what you had missed.

And also I personally do not think why we should be loyal to a piece of software. It make sense to be loyal to your friends, family or the company you work for. But Gibson did not stay loyal to us?
2017/11/26 13:15:15
35mm
tenfoot
RSMCGUITAR
35mm
Yes, that is true, but we loved it for what it was. S1 is nothing in comparison. It can do only about 40% of what I can do in Somar. I absolutely can not do the music I did in S1 that I did in Sonar. I expect it to be different, but when people say it's the same... I'm sorry but no it is not. S1 is a million miles away from Sonar. The only thing closer is Cubase and that is sh*t as well. There seriously is no replacement for Sonar. It was that good!

Seems like you keep hammering the same point home but have yet to mention a single thing Sonar does that S1 can't do. Saying it can only do 40% of what Sonar can do is a very bold claim.

You do seem to be on the warpath 35mm:) There are things I miss from Sonar, event view in particular, but I am yet to find anything that 'can't be done'.

Perhaps you will find ways to complete your opus if you spend a bit more time with it. Sometimes its just a matter of letting go of old habits.

Yes Bruce, I think I kind of am on the warpath. The whole Cakewalk going down the tubes thing still stings. I had been out to a gig and had rather a lot to drink last night when I was posting my comments on S1 and trying to choose a DAW for the future is a frustrating process. So yes, I was having a drunken rant and letting all that frustration get the better of me! I did say some things that are unfair to S1, but in an earlier post, I did make it more obvious that I was talking about my specific needs. In all honesty, I think S1 is really going somewhere, but for me, it just doesn't seem to be quite there yet. I think people have hyped it up a bit so when I started using the demo it was a disappointment compared to what I am used to, but then so is everything else. Sorry for the drunken rants everyone :)
2017/11/26 13:45:33
Midiboy
outland144k

O[font="'book antiqua', palatino; color: #003366"]kay, let me see if I understand you. You think this:

looks like this:

Really? I'm not criticizing whether you like it or not as that's an entirely personal decision, but you honestly think that these are somehow similar? You think Studio One is based on Kristal? How?

I can't see it at all.

While I agree that current Studio One looks nothing like Kristal, I hate to break it to you...it IS based on Kristal.  They created Studio One in collaboration with Presonus.   Yes, it's come a VERY long way. 

2017/11/26 14:46:19
dcumpian
I have converted half a dozen projects from Sonar to SO and, so far, it is amazing. I find it can do things in a much more streamlined fashion than Sonar, and I love Sonar. In many respects, we Sonarians have led a bit of a sheltered life and the other DAW's have kept improving around us. It usually takes me an hour or so to get a new project setup, instruments all mapped and ready to roll. With SO, I had the same sized projects setup in 15 minutes.

Projects that struggled in Sonar when running a lower buffer sizes work great in SO with their new Dropout Protection and Low Latency Monitoring. At first, I was getting worse pops and crackles in SO until I changed the settings to enable these two features.

The interface may be flat looking, but it does work very well and everything is right at your fingertips.

Regards,
Dan
2017/11/26 14:56:57
pwalpwal
dcumpian we Sonarians have led a bit of a sheltered life and the other DAW's have kept improving around us.

^^^this
i never even thought of looking at another daw until during the x1 mess when other forum users kept saying about the ui change "it's like learning a new app" - so i did
2017/11/26 16:49:59
Antler
I'd been thinking about getting a FaderPort control surface for a while now. I had since decided to put the thought to one side as I read they didn't behave that well with Sonar.

Am I right in thinking they work really well with Studio One (both being made by the same company)?
2017/11/26 17:03:11
hbarton
Antler
I'd been thinking about getting a FaderPort control surface for a while now. I had since decided to put the thought to one side as I read they didn't behave that well with Sonar.

Am I right in thinking they work really well with Studio One (both being made by the same company)?

Hey Antler,
Short answer is yes. If you are thinking about more channel control, you might want to look at the Faderport 8 or newer 16. 
As I have said here before - Presonus is both a HW and SW company and tightly integrates their HW with SW since they write and control both.

Take care,

2017/11/26 17:20:35
WallyG
dwardzala
I gotta say, I spent about 3 hours with S1 tonight in my studio.  I don't think there is much that it can't do.  How to do it is different, but functionally it is pretty close to Sonar.  There are even some things it does more efficiently (better).  There is a learning curve to be sure.

I agree. One neat feature is if you forget to turn ON your audio interface with Sonar, you have to hit no and close the program and restart. With S1 it tell you there is no Audio Interface, please connect (or turn ON, dummy!) and click retry... Small feature, but nice.

Walt

2017/11/26 18:07:23
Anderton
I'm not sure why, but the manual for Studio One doesn't do it any favors. For example, someone posted in here that the way Studio One handled tempo changes was basic and more or less useless. If it only did what was in the manual, I'd agree. But it does so much more...it's really easy to draw lines, which isn't mentioned, and the timeline compresses or expands to reflect the tempo change, which is brilliant (and also not mentioned). It's easy to duplicate tempo changes, and you can even edit non-contiguous tempo changes easily.

I was also sorely disappointed there was no Exclusive Solo button, nor was one mentioned in the manual. But if you hold Alt on Windows or Option on the Mac while clicking on a Solo button, it becomes an Exclusive Solo. 

Furthermore, I was distraught that you couldn't edit Acidized files. But the way SOP handles timestretching means it's not really necessary, and you can still tweak transient markers. 

As I've said before, I've continued to use Studio One for its mastering page for album assembly and mastering tweaks in parallel with SONAR. The idea of taking advantage of SOP's Song and Project page integration is pretty exciting to me, and something that no other DAW has. Yes, there's a learning curve...I think there's no way around that.

SOP is deceptively simple looking, but there's more under the hood than it might seem at first. No, I don't think it looks as good as SONAR, but nothing else does IMHO. Things like adding FX to clips is also clunkier, but then again, there are things SOP does that are clunky to do in SONAR.

2017/11/26 18:12:23
synkrotron
I like some of the simple things like being able to drag a curve on automation whereas in SONAR you have to right click on a section of line and select the curve type.

I use lots of automation and therefore the SO3 method does save me time.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account