• Computers
  • Computer suddenly just shuts down and restarts kernel 41 error (p.3)
2017/12/09 18:24:50
HighAndDry
Ok  It failed the temperature test!!  Said check the thermal paste.  So....
2017/12/09 19:58:28
fireberd
Overheating and auto shutdown?  A good possibility.  Apparently your problem is CPU related.
Along with the thermal paste, the cooler may have come loose.  I had that one time with a stock Intel cooler that came with an Intel CPU.  What are you using for the CPU cooler?  

2017/12/09 20:14:39
HighAndDry
It is the stock intel one

2017/12/09 20:21:41
HighAndDry
I think it was loose.  at least one of the 4 hold downs seemed loose. Would this have damaged the cpu?  Maybe I just should buy another cooler.  If so what is a good quiet one that provides good cooling?
2017/12/10 03:48:22
HighAndDry
Well.... I cleaned off the old thermal paste and put artic silver on.  I reseated the fan.  (man those intel cooling fan hold downs are a pain when they fall apart)  I actually pulled the mother board out so I could look on the bottom and check that the hold down pins (black and white) were sticking through equally. 
   Ok after doing that and firing the computer up, I ran the intel cpu test again.  THIS TIME IT PASSED WITH FLYING COLORS!   So in all likelihood my problem is solved.  Thanks fireberd and Jim.   sonar maybe dead but good people are still here.  peace and love to all
2017/12/10 11:31:08
fireberd
I hope that fixes it.  Good luck.

I'm using liquid cooler.  Much quieter and better cooling.  I tried a highly rated Noctua cooler and it was quiet (and large) but didn't cool as good as liquid coolers.  The CPU temps generally ran around 40 deg C at idle and went up rapidly.  With the liquid cooler the idle temps are around 30 deg C and do not rise as rapidly. 

The one I'm using is the Captain 120EX cooler. Longevity??? I've had it a year.
https://www.amazon.com/DE...keywords=captain+120ex
2017/12/10 18:56:03
HighAndDry
That looks pretty cool.  Thanks for the tip.  are you overclocking? And are you using a temperature monitor?
2017/12/10 21:21:42
fireberd
Although I have a "K" CPU I'm not overclocking.  When I bought the new CPU the "K" was on sale for the same price as the non clockable model so I bought it. Same way with the "gamer" motherboard plus it had more rear panel USB ports.  

I don't have a running temp app.  I just occasionally look at the temps with the free "Core Temp" program.  I did check often when I first built it but after being satisfied the cooler was doing its job I don't check it very often. 
2017/12/11 06:07:05
HighAndDry
I see you are sadly learning Studio One 3.   I assume that is DAW software.  I am loving Reaper.  ( But I still use sonar more ) I started dabbling with it when Sonar had some glitches a while back  I really like it.  It never crashes and has an excellent set of tutorials on youtube.  and a great community.   Although I must say that one of the great things about sonar/cakewalk has been this community with a lot of nice people such as your self, Jim R, Chuck E, many others.
2017/12/11 11:17:13
fireberd
I'm "sadly" learning Studio One 3 because of the possible demise of Sonar.  Nothing wrong with it, so far, just that with the current Sonar situation it becomes imperative to have a backup and mine is Studio One 3.  As Sonar still does everything I need I can leisurely work on learning Studio One 3, not have to do a crash learning project.   From comments I see, Studio One 3 seems to be a popular replacement and has offered a low "cross grade" price to Sonar users.  I'm not a fan of Presonus hardware but the DAW software seems to be OK.  I tried ProTools and didn't like it.  I've got a version of Ableton Live that I got when I purchased a Focusrite ISA One preamp but don't like it.

Jack
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account