• Software
  • Sonar to Reaper in 4 clicks (public alpha) (p.14)
azslow3
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
For grins I downloaded the .zip and put the .dll file into my userplugins folder, then tried to open one of my old Sonar 5 .cwp files, but I guess they are way too old. Any Sonar 5 file I tried seems to toss out a parser error, and multiple conversion errors/warnings.

Upload an example somewhere (just CWP, without any audio) and I can check. I do not have any version prior X to test myself.

I uploaded a .cwp file and attached it to this post.
https://forum.cockos.com/...p;posted=1#post1955159

Here's the direct link to the attachment too.
https://forum.cockos.com/...33057&d=1518798873
2018/02/16 17:11:31
Starise
I guess this has a reverse effect on me personally. Give it to me for free and push Reaper until I'm sick of hearing about it on the Cake site and I don't bite. Maybe if you charged me for it and didn't feel the need to keep pushing Reaper I might be more inclined to bite, but only if I had invaluable files in Sonar and had no other way to save them.
I do commend aslow for his great work. I know my views here will not be popular. I accept that. If a Sonar/Reaper solution works for some I'm happy for you. Doesn't float my boat though...even a little bit.

For me Reaper is the red headed step child. With emphasis put on "for me".
Starise

[SubliminalMan]

Well, I suggest (StudioOne) that you not look at Reaper (StudioOne), because there are a lot (StudioOne) of other posts with other (StudioOne) DAW software mentioned (StudioOne) that you would be a lot (StudioOne) happier with.

Reaper(StudioOne) is a no frills software(StudioOne) that isn't for everybody (Sonar) because it doesn't look or behave(StudioOne) like the be-love-ed (Sonar) (StudioOne) like other DAW software that gets mentioned(StudioOne) just a little bit(StudioOne) here.

[/SubliminalMan]
2018/02/16 19:33:45
Starise
I am a biased human being I can't get around that fact. For some unknown reason I'm thinking about Studio One now 

I will state this from my biased self but I believe every word of it. Studio One was probably the closest transition for most because of the way it works. Not exactly the same but close enough to grok without too many extra moves.
I'm more than willing to take unbiased medications to correct my issue but this is how I see it. Did it get mentioned here a lot? Yes it did. True dat.
2018/02/16 20:11:51
sharke
Starise
I am a biased human being I can't get around that fact. For some unknown reason I'm thinking about Studio One now 

I will state this from my biased self but I believe every word of it. Studio One was probably the closest transition for most because of the way it works. Not exactly the same but close enough to grok without too many extra moves.
I'm more than willing to take unbiased medications to correct my issue but this is how I see it. Did it get mentioned here a lot? Yes it did. True dat.

I was biased against Reaper until I got a project up and running in it, and then I was totally converted. 
2018/02/16 20:38:36
azslow3
Starise

My converter project is somehow "scientific" approach of DAW comparison.
If everything user can do in a DAW "A" is saved in the corresponding project file, "translating" this file into DAW "B" can in details show similarities and differences, at least in respect to produced sound.

2018/02/17 20:42:28
Just Another Bloke
So here is an example of a converted project from SONAR to Reaper using reaper_cwp tool.

Here is the SONAR version.

Here is the Reaper version.

A word of note. The tool has yet to convert SONAR Gain setting into a Reaper Trim setting. So I took about 20 minutes to manually convert them. And lastly, since his tool does not yet convert automation the synths automation was not set manually.

2018/02/17 21:10:04
emwhy
One thing I just noticed is that I have some older projects at 44.1 sample rate. I have Reaper set to 48, but if I open a 44.1 sample rate project it loads fine, but won't play until I change the setting in Reaper. Not a big deal, but maybe make some note in the documentation later on that this could be a minor issue. So far no issues with synths since the alpha was released. All tested MIDI and audio projects seem to loading well.

2018/02/17 21:12:46
Just Another Bloke
emwhy
One thing I just noticed is that I have some older projects at 44.1 sample rate. I have Reaper set to 48, but if I open a 44.1 sample rate project it loads fine, but won't play until I change the setting in Reaper. Not a big deal, but maybe make some note in the documentation later on that this could be a minor issue. So far no issues with synths since the alpha was released. All tested MIDI and audio projects seem to loading well.

I'll need to remember that.... for many moons I was using 44.1K but for the last 3 or so years I've been using 48K.
2018/02/18 09:31:39
azslow3
emwhy

I indicate original sample rate, it should be in "Project Settings" / "Project sample rate".
For me, when a project with different sample rate is converted, my audio interface is switched to this rate and everything plays out of the box.
I guess in case your current interface does not support the original sample rate of the project, it won't play till you change in. Fortunately, unlike in Sonar, that is possible in Reaper.
For the moment, I do not see how I can improve the behavior on converter side.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account