• Software
  • MeldaProduction not my cup of tea
2018/11/13 23:05:56
Fleer
Probably me. No, surely me. But I don't like Melda's installation process. Or uninstallation process. Not straightforward, not self-evident, not logical. Sure, there's a clean up progress bar, but then when you want to uninstall everything, it's still loading stuff while showing a download progress bar. And if you want to add a license you bought through a third party, you'll have to look for the redeem button underneath the plugins you already have. Nope. Not logical, not self-evident, not straightforward. For me.
Give me a simple uninstall file and I'll get my coat.
2018/11/13 23:48:06
msmcleod
They do make very good plugins though... and the amount of free ones you get more than makes up for the quirky installer.

For plugins I've bought, I've found it much easier to do all the registration/redeeming etc on their website.

You can then download a single license file with all your licenses in it, and stick it in the one place.

The first time you've bought something, you just point it at the location of your license file when you fire up the plugin.

When you buy another, just download a new "bundled" license file and overwrite your old one. Your plugins will automatically pick it up.

My only real criticism of the Melda stuff is their GUI - you either like their standardised approach or you don't.

One thing is for sure though: they sound a lot more expensive than they look.
2018/11/14 00:09:50
Fleer
Cheers Marc, figured it out in the end. And yes, you’re absolutely right about the GUI.
I’m a FabFilter kinda guy, and Melda is, well, looking like Melda.
I think I’ll jump back in on a later occasion, when I’m in dire need of what MUnison can do.
But for now, keeping Melda at a distance.
2018/11/14 02:17:17
abacab
Fleer, sorry to hear you had any issues with Melda products.  I have always found their products to have a lot of value add, at least on the Windows platform.  Never had any issues with installing or uninstalling.

The MSpectralDelay is the only one that I have licensed, but I do get a lot of use from many of the free ones available.
2018/11/14 02:45:48
gmon72
I'm not a fan of the forced 32 bit version install, Buy the complete bundle and then you don't need to worry about the licenses :)
2018/11/14 14:43:41
bitflipper
I, too, am a FabFilter guy. Their UIs are some of the most user-friendly around. But they don't offer even half of what Meldaproduction does in terms of breadth of functionality. Eschewing Melda because the installer is clumsy (maybe I'm just used to it, but I don't think it is) or because the UIs are confusing is to miss out on some really cool stuff.

MDynamicEQ and MSpectralDynamics are two that get used here a lot. The former is much easier to dial in than Pro-MB, and the latter has no equivalent in the FF lineup. OTOH, none of the Melda compressors holds a candle to Pro-C or Pro-L. I approach vendor selection like a dim sum meal - some of this and some of that.
2018/11/14 15:38:23
TheMaartian
bitflipper
I, too, am a FabFilter guy. Their UIs are some of the most user-friendly around. But they don't offer even half of what Meldaproduction does in terms of breadth of functionality. Eschewing Melda because the installer is clumsy (maybe I'm just used to it, but I don't think it is) or because the UIs are confusing is to miss out on some really cool stuff.

MDynamicEQ and MSpectralDynamics are two that get used here a lot. The former is much easier to dial in than Pro-MB, and the latter has no equivalent in the FF lineup. OTOH, none of the Melda compressors holds a candle to Pro-C or Pro-L. I approach vendor selection like a dim sum meal - some of this and some of that.

And always someone in the background counting each piece you consume. No accidental freebies.
2018/11/14 16:36:54
mettelus
I assume the OP is referring to updates and activations (?) ... It's been a while, but I *thought* the installer was now generic and you could just install/update what you own with it? Updates used to be rather painful since had to reactivate at times after an update, but I have not seen that in like a year now. The Complete Bundle comment above made me chuckle, since that is very accurate... an update (which is the uninstall/reinstall cycle) is about as quick as it takes SONAR/CbB to VST scan them all afterwards. On a serious note... Melda is very responsive to emails, so giving them feedback on activation/update experiences is highly likely to get taken seriously.

I concur with the above regarding the plugins themselves.... It is true Melda's plugs do not have the best curb appeal (GUI) or marketing fluff (need to steal the colored smoke artist from iZotope or something), but the guts and cross-communication of the plugins are hard to beat. Sadly, most tutorials do not get far beyond the edit screen and it is rare to see Multiparamters or Modulators covered in much detail, but they can do things others cannot. It is also true that some of the GUI wickets (like be-bopping back and forth between popups to fully edit things) can be a PITA, but just about everything encountered when marrying computers to music is, so I have kinda resigned myself to that.
2018/11/14 17:28:24
metz
Melda is my go to plugin manufacturer. Period.
2018/11/14 18:55:54
Fleer
Okay then. Got to get back in.
Sushi. Not smörgåsbord.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account