• SONAR
  • I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum?
2018/12/13 00:17:56
riojazz
After trying many other DAWs over the past year, I downloaded Cakewalk by BandLab and found it to be just fine, and very familiar of course.

I then looked for a BandLab Forum but found almost nothing.  Is this the right place to be going forward, and is it supported by the company?  Thanks.
2018/12/13 00:30:48
Euthymia
Yes and yes, so far.

Unfortunately, this is all we have.

The thousands of new users are unable to create new accounts, so it's mostly veterans, which means that you'll get answers very quickly.

But it also means that we don't have the benefit of new users asking newbie questions and seeing how they get answered.

And most of the veterans who are here had to live through the awfulness of the Gibson announcement, so there's been some lingering shell-shock that's fortunately shifting to enthusiasm for BandLab's stewardship.
2018/12/13 00:50:21
stickman393
Nice way of putting it, @Euthymia :-)
2018/12/13 02:02:04
jimfogle
Hi Matt,

Welcome back.

BandLab stated a new forum is in the works way back when.  At some point this forum will be frozen but remain available as a searchable web based resource.  There have been a few assurances since that the plan for a new forum hasn't changed but no timeline for implementing a new forum has been announced.
2018/12/13 04:50:48
soens
I still ask newbie questions now & then. Does that help?
2018/12/13 06:14:21
Larry Jones
soens
I still ask newbie questions now & then. Does that help?

Very helpful, thanks! I do it too, because almost every time I do a project I feel like a beginner.

I've thought about this a bit, and in my opinion there's very little incentive for Bandlab to bother with a Bandlab version of this forum. There's a high ratio of electronics geeks here, as well as old-school recording artists, experienced musicians who know music theory or at least understand song structure, who are producing professional-level recordings and need support delving into this very deep and complex program. The typical Bandlab user is operating, shall we say, in a completely different universe, and probably doesn't need the power of SONAR to do what they're doing, and probably thinks it's too complicated anyway. I suppose Bandlab thinks that in time a bunch of those users will find a use for SONAR's power and depth, and some will migrate toward it, but -- my opinion only -- the reality is that they would overwhelmingly prefer an app that runs on Android, and some rudimentary tools for making beats. Why would they need a forum like this?

Making SONAR free and creating a "social music" network -- these are brave experiments, and I hope some good comes from them. But based on my five or six lengthy visits to bandlab.com, I feel completely disoriented over there, and I bet the regulars there would feel the same way here if they could get in. All of which goes to say a new forum by Bandlab that is in any way similar to this one is a pretty long shot.
2018/12/13 06:41:32
burgerproduction
Well put Larry. I've dipped my toe into the Bandlab forum only a few times, but I found it incomparable to this forum. I hope Bandlab realise this and keep it alive.
2018/12/13 08:35:46
Skyline_UK
Hi Matt, welcome back!

Yes, we've been promised a new forum, but I'm not sure why it's taking so long; I thought forums were software applcations you bought off the shelf rather than write from scratch. I also find it odd that this forum was locked some time ago: where do all the new users go to for forum activity?  I assume there must be lots of new users since the product became free.

When Gibson bowed out I reverted to Studio One 3 which I'd been using on and off for a long while but switched back when BandLab acquired Sonar. Noel Borthwick coming on board confirmed to me that CbB is going to have a good future, although like others, I don't yet see how a non-revenue producing product fits in with the BandLab portfolio.

John
2018/12/13 18:17:25
bluebeat1313
Hey Matt,
Once you go (back) to Cake....you don't not stay awake!

I believe you will be pleasantly surprised how well it is maintained. It is not only familiar, but very stable.

Best regards,
Misha.

2018/12/13 18:28:11
michael diemer
I too feel very out of place in the land of skinny guys with holes in their jeans (although I once was one). I can't imagine these two worlds overlapping much. so hopefully this forum will continue, or Meng and Co. will create a new one. Failing that, I'm sure we will all migrate to an alternative forum if and when the need arises.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account