• SONAR
  • I've returned to Cakewalk. Is this THE forum? (p.6)
2018/12/18 14:28:12
HIBI
a13xhp
(a feature request thread with voting capatibily, Presonus alike, would be great @Noel)

+1
2018/12/18 18:34:40
gmp
It's encouraging to see how Noel is so upbeat and enthusiastic about Bandlab and CbB. I feel we're in great hands after the uncertain times with Gibson and Roland. 

It's also good to hear that the new forum is being worked on by Jesse and is close to launch date. I like this team and feel very optimistic about the future of CbB
2018/12/19 01:23:22
Blades
@gargonknight - not completely giving up on CBB.  I have a special place for it.  I still like the forum here and hope that it continues.  If I DO continue to use CBB, it will likely because of this forum.  I have actually received more comments about my song recorded somewhere OTHER than with CBB here on this forum than on the Presonus forum.  Community is important!  But so is my limited hobby time, so I have to spend it well.

I AM that same Blades.  I've since given up the BCF2000 for which I made those tutorial videos so many years ago.  The FaderPort 8 just crushes it - especially since I got it for something like $350, new in box on eBay.  Even in CBB, it is a far better device for a lot of reasons, mostly because of how well labled it is and how much easier it is to adopt as a result.

As mentioned before, I am assessing some of the songs that I had part way done.  They are more of a mess than I recall!  I don't know how salvageable they are, really, so I don't know that I'll finish them out, except a few.  It is FUN for me to use the software, so who knows where I might complete them.  Hopefully, I at least WILL.

Thanks for your message!
2018/12/19 03:18:28
mkerl
Blades
  It is FUN for me to use the software, so who knows where I might complete them. 

Really? Together with your detailed Statements  regarding S1 - that's a bit unexpected to me !!!
You know, I don't know you and your tutorials, and I'm no longtime member of this Club of old farts.
But my first Cakewalk sequencer software  was from  Twelve Tone Music and was bundled with a Pinnacle Soundcard from Turtle Beach. No Audio, just Midi. I later upgraded to Sonar XL, wow.  I  used Cubase as well, but my main focus has ever been the music I wanted to play, software and Computers are tools, nothing else. My Instruments are much more important. In Fact, I had a break with DAWs and came back with Sonar Artist / SPLAT /Cubase and through this Gibson dilemma I bought S1 too. But, and that's what I want to say - when software doesn't fit anymore, I don't waste time with it. I go ahead. That's what I do with Video or Pic-Apps as well.
I wish a new forum to come, with fresh ideas and an alignment to the Bandlab cloud - that's where the Journey leads to. And I'm curious about the developments to come. But this whining, ooohh, CbB doesn't do it as well as other software, but I feel this is my homeland, I'll stay forever with you . . . . . .  come On. WTF. Go with S1, it's ok. So what?

BTW, yes, here are some people in the forum with great knowledge of sonar and producing in General. 'True. And really helpful. Thank you for that.

Might be a bit offending to you, sorry, I don't like this oversoft christmas mood. You know,   Christmas markets in my country are sheltered with tons of concrete and bollard. It's like to party in wartime. The cynix takes control of me

Cheers 

2018/12/19 08:46:48
John
I know that many are fully invested in Sonar and think it is a very special DAW, however, no one should project their investment on others. What people use is their business. I only hope those invested in some other DAW don't come here to find fault.  We have had too much of that in the past. We can all get what we can both from this forum and from what ever we use. Lets leave it at that. 

My hope is all of us have fun and enjoy this forum.   
2018/12/19 12:08:47
msmcleod
John
I know that many are fully invested in Sonar and think it is a very special DAW, however, no one should project their investment on others. What people use is their business. I only hope those invested in some other DAW don't come here to find fault.  We have had too much of that in the past. We can all get what we can both from this forum and from what ever we use. Lets leave it at that. 

My hope is all of us have fun and enjoy this forum.   

+1 to this. 

There's far too much of "this DAW is better than that DAW" going on. 

If someone has moved over to Studio One, that's their choice - but don't then come back and complain about Cakewalk not have such and such a feature that Studio One does. There's a features & improvements thread to ask for those sorts of things.

Sure, some DAW's have features others don't have, and each DAW does things slightly differently. I've got Studio One 4, but hardly use it because I simply prefer Cakewalk. If I really need to use a feature in Studio One, I could migrate my project over and do it in Studio One. But so far I've not found a reason to.

IMHO Craig Anderton has the right attitude: be fluent in more than one DAW, and use each for its strengths.

2018/12/20 01:45:53
Blades
Maybe you all have missed the point.  I DO want to be fluid in more than one DAW.  I LIKE Cakewalk.  I Like Studio One.  If not from the users of both, how would Bandlab know what appeals, what needs work, etc.  Including the forum itself.

With this post being about this forum and its friendliness, don't you think it's odd for some forum members to say how unreasonable a long-time forum member (me) is being for liking some features of another DAW and pointing out what is working better about when asked about that very point in that thread?

mkerl: kinds of sounds like there is nothing I could say that would be of value to you.  I complain, you say stop complaining.  I say "sorry about that" and you say to stop being apologetic.  I am not Whining.  I am stating facts about my experience.  Is it wrong that I'd like for Cakewalk to work more seamlessly after paying year after year, creating many tutorials, and helping other forum members out?  Is it actually a problem that I enjoy using the software tools, learning them, breaking them, trying to find solutions to issues, and sharing those solutions? I find my software and its use an integral part of the recording experience.  Sorry if you don't feel the same and can't appreciate that.

Analogy: I have an great set of acoustic drums.  I don't play it because it doesn't do what my edrums do.  Entire groups of people complain that edrums don't work/sound like acoustic drums, with the hope of them getting closer.  And now they are closer than ever, because of the users, the criticism, the experience, and people communicating about it.

My post was not meant as a this vs. that DAW thing.  It was meant in the exact spirit as the thread - why is this forum valuable to you?  When will the new one come?  It so happens that the very communication that this forum allows for is the same communication for which there seems to be a negative feeling.

I suppose I'm loyal, to a fault - in the digital AND real world.  But also known to be more honest than most people want to hear.  

Have a good evening.

2018/12/20 01:49:04
Blades
One other thought - just spotted this on the Presonus forums by the very helpful user who goes by the name Lawrence:

"Liking the product and acknowledging it's subjective shortcomings are not (for me anyway) mutually exclusive."

Perfectly stated.

2018/12/20 04:24:55
michael diemer
Frankly, I don't see what the all fuss is about here. A tempest in a teapot, if you ask me. Let it be.
2018/12/20 12:07:58
Euthymia
Blades
One other thought - just spotted this on the Presonus forums by the very helpful user who goes by the name Lawrence:

"Liking the product and acknowledging it's subjective shortcomings are not (for me anyway) mutually exclusive."

Perfectly stated.

I only wish that were proclaimed in big letters at the top of every forum pertaining to every piece of content creation software!

The contrary attitudes, that if a program feature is clumsy or difficult to use, it's really the user's fault, and if it's missing a feature that most other programs of its type have, "well then why don't you just shut up and go use that one?," are my main obstacles to posting newbie questions.

Another is "why would anyone want to do that??" when it's a missing feature that I did all the time in another DAW or just something that I want to do in this one.

Case in point: I once asked in another DAW forum about how to leave audio clips unchanged when changing project tempo, because I had a use case of importing audio files of a full band that someone gave me, running a tempo detection on them, and then adding MIDI tracks. Sometimes the tempo detection got it wrong, and I wanted the audio clips to be left alone by the tempo change. No stretching, no nothing, just left alone.

People couldn't imagine a workflow where I didn't already know the tempo of an audio file I was importing, or didn't want every audio clip to be stretched or contracted along with the tempo of the song. I mean, what if you have audio clips that are spoken phrases or sound effects that aren't matched to the tempo to begin with? Why mess with them?

(I figured out how to do it in Cakewalk pretty quickly, by the way)
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account