• Features & Ideas
  • [Implemented] - CWBRN-32278 Midi 'bounce to clips' changes midi channel (p.5)
2015/04/03 19:51:29
icontakt
bvideo
News to me is I can't change the midi channel of controller events with the event inspector. I didn't know it's only a note inspector.

Oh......yes, I just remembered why I use Find/Change after bouncing. 
2015/04/03 21:28:21
icontakt
The above suggestions by Dave and Ron are all good (so I gave a thumbs-up to both posts), but I have a feeling they'll take a few years to be implemented. I personally don't need suggestions #4-6, so hopefully the Bakers will work on the other suggestions first.

robert_e_bone
I apologize to anyone for any disruption I may have caused.  I'll keep working on being better at things :)

Don't apologize, Bob. It wasn't a big deal (I just wondered). 
2015/04/04 00:56:10
robert_e_bone
Thanks - I think overall that this thread has had good discussion - I like folks working through considerations of modifications to processes - process re-engineering.

In a past life in the IT world, one of the hats I wore was being on a team responsible for all kinds of pieces of the process of process re-engineering, dealing with around 1,000 developers contracted to the US Federal Government.  Loads of fun.  :)

Bob Bone

2015/04/05 13:00:50
williamcopper
I missed a number of the recent posts, sorry, but I've found that 'bounce to track' with channel set to none does not preserve channel, though in a simple test just now, it did for me .. so maybe it's affected by something else.   ALSO: in a 100-track project, do you really expect a person to change, one by one, all tracks to "none" and then attempt to reconstruct where the tracks originally pointed?    Yet again, I'm afraid, people who do not use midi are trying to have opinions on how it is done. 

As to documentation, I could not find anything relevant.

2015/04/05 13:14:10
williamcopper
And as to bouncing around of tracks, Bob Bone and others, I am pretty sure you hounded me over and over to "get a Cakewalk Problem Request Number" so that my problem reports would stay in the forum problem reports.  I did it, finally, because PRV controller pane issues are such a big deal to me.  And what happened, rationalizations aside?   You put it back in the sonar forum, and people go all around minimizing it, saying it works as expected, etc etc etc.   
2015/04/05 14:05:37
SquireBum
Not to minimize the issue, but you can change the channel on all tracks in a couple of steps:
  1. Select all tracks (Ctrl-A)
  2. Use the Quick Group feature by holding down the Ctrl key and change the Channel drop down on one of the tracks to "None".
This procedure works from the Inspector or from the Track Pane.
Ron
2015/04/06 19:17:02
brundlefly
williamcopper
In a 100-track project, do you really expect a person to change, one by one, all tracks to "none" and then attempt to reconstruct where the tracks originally pointed?

Although it is possible to change all the track channels to none in one go as pointed out, restoring the original assignments after bouncing is not feasible, rendering the approach impractical. Clearly the best workaround is just to run Process > Find Change as needed to set everything back to channel 1 periodically. Combine this with resisting the urge to bounce to clips before it's absolutely necessary, and this really shouldn't be such a big deal.

I'm fine with this being in the Problem Reports area, but it doesn't really matter as the CWBRN is in place, and it will ultimately be up to the Bakers to decide whether to change it, regardless of whether they consider it a bug or an enhancement.

2015/04/08 05:12:08
williamcopper
Right.  

1.    "All channels set to 1" is wimpy: sometimes channels are useful
2.   "All channels set to a track's channel" is erroneous: sometimes a useful channel distinction has no relevant relationship to the particular interface between a midi track and an instrument, vst or hardware.
3.   "Change of a channel" by bouncing is irritating, if the channel had meaning that needed to be preserved. 
4.    Avoiding bouncing of midi clips is dangerous, imo, though it may be a superstition.     It's also a work-flow inhibitor, since now sonar prints a little "picture" at the end of every midi clip, obscuring the contents at the end in the project window .. in a large project a glance at a clip can be very informative, even in very small size, while looking at a Platinum logo has no useful purpose at all ... many clips, many Platinum logos. 
5.   There are only 16 possible midi channel numbers.   Track counts go way higher, so there is necessary duplication if a fixed relation between track and channel is enforced (as by bounce to clips).

2015/04/08 09:34:58
azslow3
After carefully reading all posts, I still do not understand for what event channel information is good in case it is in the track with output channel set:
1) In case the output channel is not set, bounce is not changing original events. Expected and good for multitembral tracks.
2) In case the output channel is set, the change in original events may be not expected but completely irrelevant since everything is converted to that channel on the fly in any case.

So, why someone need multichannel information in single instrument track?

While channel information comes from the track, it is not the same as bouncing volume automation for example. Because that is more "property" of the track then automation since it can not be automated (as with bank/program, I wish it could be, but that is a different topic).
2015/04/09 17:23:54
williamcopper
From Kontakt 5 Reference manual:    "Sampler Controls: MIDI" -- "Sets the MIDI port and channel this Group will respond to."        IE:   A channel can trigger specific sounds in an instrument.    Drum maps are obvious candidates, but also string library articulations, legato transitions, many possible uses.  
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account