• Software
  • Presonus Will Have a Special Cakewalk Customer Crossgrade Price NEXT WEEK (p.10)
2017/11/27 11:55:03
exitthelemming
I've been a Cakewalk user since Pro Audio 6 circa 1989 so had to think long and hard about which DAW I would migrate/defect to in light of recent developments (or lack of, moving forward...) Reaper, Cubase, Mixcraft, Podium, Fruity Loops, Ableton Live and Bitwig all have their strengths and weaknesses certainly but it's Studio One which strikes me as the one DAW closest in lineage, feel and methodology to SONAR. The bundled instruments in S1 are not on a par with SPLAT but they do have a dedicated sampler (Presence XT) which ships with > 13 gig of high quality sounds which are easily on a par with Kontakt's factory content. Most of the functionality is drag and drop including a very intuitive groove quantise window for MIDI and AUDIO which is a joy to use. Despite what many in these forums have stated to the contrary, I feel that S1's MIDI editing capabilities match those of SONAR (or are at least sufficient for my MIDI oriented needs, despite their being no MIDI event list view). It even has a 'Transform' tool and multi-track PRV which are spookily similar to those found in SONAR. On the down side, there is nothing to match the console emulation and aesthetic delights of the Cakewalk Pro Channels/Console view alas. However, all that said, the real game changer for me is the dual buffer settings that Presonus allow you to set up on installation. I don't know the technicalities behind this approach but long story short, you ramp up buffer size for mixing and ramp down for recording and it's done automatically 'under the hood' via hardware low latency monitoring (if your sound card supports it) or software low latency monitoring, otherwise. Unlike SONAR, I can have very large projects open with loads of tracks, FX, VSTs and tracks with no crackling or popping or prohibitive latency when either recording or mixing. Studio One strikes me as the DAW that Cakewalk were never quite able to bring to fruition.

2017/11/27 12:21:27
patm300e
BRuys
Well, I jumped in before I knew about an upcoming cross-grade offer.  The Black Friday deal was already pretty sweet and through JRRShop.com there was an additional group-buy discount, making the full license US$169.98.  So I'm pretty happy.  If other existing Sonar users end up with a better deal, I wont be upset, I'll be happy for my fellow Sonar users.

Darn, you beat me by $4.52!  I had an old Artist License and Upgraded that to Professional ($174.50).  My FaderPort works GREAT over there.  I never knew what that "Mix" button was for until now! (It brings up the Mixer (Console for us Sonar people) for the selected channel).

There is a Guy there named Joe Gilder who has posted several videos on using Presonus.  He comes from ProTools and switched to Studio One.  Interesting perspective.

On to the Videos...I do still plan to keep Sonar around incase it does a Phoenix and rises from the ashes...

2017/11/27 13:45:46
mmarton
exitthelemming
I've been a Cakewalk user since Pro Audio 6 circa 1989 so had to think long and hard about which DAW I would migrate/defect to in light of recent developments (or lack of, moving forward...) Reaper, Cubase, Mixcraft, Podium, Fruity Loops, Ableton Live and Bitwig all have their strengths and weaknesses certainly but it's Studio One which strikes me as the one DAW closest in lineage, feel and methodology to SONAR. The bundled instruments in S1 are not on a par with SPLAT but they do have a dedicated sampler (Presence XT) which ships with > 13 gig of high quality sounds which are easily on a par with Kontakt's factory content. Most of the functionality is drag and drop including a very intuitive groove quantise window for MIDI and AUDIO which is a joy to use. Despite what many in these forums have stated to the contrary, I feel that S1's MIDI editing capabilities match those of SONAR (or are at least sufficient for my MIDI oriented needs, despite their being no MIDI event list view). It even has a 'Transform' tool and multi-track PRV which are spookily similar to those found in SONAR. On the down side, there is nothing to match the console emulation and aesthetic delights of the Cakewalk Pro Channels/Console view alas. However, all that said, the real game changer for me is the dual buffer settings that Presonus allow you to set up on installation. I don't know the technicalities behind this approach but long story short, you ramp up buffer size for mixing and ramp down for recording and it's done automatically 'under the hood' via hardware low latency monitoring (if your sound card supports it) or software low latency monitoring, otherwise. Unlike SONAR, I can have very large projects open with loads of tracks, FX, VSTs and tracks with no crackling or popping or prohibitive latency when either recording or mixing. Studio One strikes me as the DAW that Cakewalk were never quite able to bring to fruition.

If you want an awesome console experience in the box, pick up Mixbus. I use it in conjunction with Sonar (and soon S1).
2017/11/27 16:41:22
mcdoma2000
rmfegley
So how will one verify ownership of a Sonar license for the Studio One crossgrade price? I am unable to find any original emails of purchase confirmation and the confirmations available on my Cakewalk account page all link to the Cakewalk store, which is now defunct and redirects all requests to a posting of Noel Borthwick's announcement of Cakewalk's closure. All I have currently are my serials and purchase dates, and my most recent billing statement (I'm on a monthly billing plan but have made the requisite 12 payments required to own a full license).

It could be their servers were being hammered by WAY more traffic at one time than usual. I just logged in, and went to my account page. From there I went to Store Activity and it showed all purchases I've made of SONAR products from the Store.

2017/11/27 17:02:37
outland144k
GIM Productions
Zo
Call me when they propose Oversampling , X ray , plugin menu layout and plugin permanet renaming , screensets , icons , templates ect .....:( love Studio one as a owner but a lot of simple stuff here and there makes me wanna quite and go back to sonar quikly ....

+1000000
Indeed!
I will work with Sonar Platinum for many years in my studio.....it's the best daw on the market,I do not want to get up on this hysterical wagon

Er, um, not sure it's fair to call this a "hysterical wagon"....
2017/11/27 17:11:35
outland144k
Larry Jones
peter434
Hello to everybody
The announcement from Presonus is cool, but why waiting after the Black Friday period if the price could be superior than the offer of third authorized dealers with a good additional discount : Around 169 $ ???. Any idea of a cost estimation ?
And secondly, I have Sonar X3. Do you think that I could pretend to the crossgrade price which could be exclusive to the Sonar Platinium version ?

Thanks for your attention.

If you want Studio One, I'd buy it now for $169. They might not honor a crossgrade from anything other than the latest SONAR (but they haven't told us yet), and the price might be the same (or not as good) on the crossgrade (but we don't know that at this time), plus you might have to jump through hoops "proving" you're a legitimate SONAR owner before you can get the crossgrade deal (still have your receipt for X3?). They must know how much they want to charge for the crossgrade -- even if it is a holiday weekend in the U.S. -- so I'm not sure why they're holding out crucial information on pricing until it's too late to get the Black Friday deal, but that seems to be what they're doing.

Well-put, Larry. The pricing is good right now, so why wait if one wants to make the leap? I just bought it from Sweetwater. I probably won't get down to $169 ($189 with Notion?), but Sweetwater has been great to me over the years, so I don't mind (I'm still waiting on a final price from my salesman, Jeff Green, but I'm sure it'll be somewhere in the ballpark).

I'm assuming that no one could trace down from where the rumor of a $149 crossgrade for Studio One originated?
2017/11/27 17:17:54
Anderton
I suspect the crossgrade price announced tomorrow will be $149.
2017/11/27 17:20:53
aidanodr
Anderton
I suspect the crossgrade price announced tomorrow will be $149.

And Anderton .. do you suspect that will be inclusive or exclusive of VAT ??

I bought my copy from AUDIODELUXE last friday .. it was $168 .. thats it .. no plus or ex vat. One can assume inclusive. Which is $136 ex vat at my countries rate of 23% ( Ireland ) 

2017/11/27 17:23:37
Larry Jones
outland144k

I'm assuming that no one could trace down from where the rumor of a $149 crossgrade for Studio One originated?

Yeah, I've tried to no avail. Somebody just thought it was the "right" price and suggested it, and now it's official. (NOT!)

It's maddening. I suppose what they're trying to do is create what's called in retail a "buying frenzy." They hint that there will be a special price, they occasionally show their faces here, they talk up their product, but they pretend they know nothing about the special pricing. They expect a virtual crowd outside their virtual doors on Tuesday morning, made up of people eager to buy. The offer, when they finally say what it is, will probably come festooned with provisos and gotchas, not to mention a bunch of ancillary offers to tempt you to spend more dough. Meanwhile the clock ticks on the half-off Black Friday deal. You are a chump if you buy today and discover a better deal tomorrow, you are a chump if you wait till tomorrow and the deal is not as good or you can't satisfy the ownership requirements -- which still haven't been made clear.

I know "it's not that much money." But it is for me.
2017/11/27 18:18:11
cclarry
I already had a copy of Studio One 2 Producer.  I had already upgraded once, but
sold the upgrade due to financial considerations.  You can't upgrade again after
upgrading once.  Poor policy.  Anyways, I bought a copy of S1 2 Producer on KVR
for $40 and then upgraded to S1 3 Professional for $83.16 at JRR with code GROUP,
so total cost was $123.16 for the full version of Professional....there's always a way
to make it cheaper.  BTW the FULL version is $167.98 with code GROUP at JRR

https://www.jrrshop.com/presonus-studio-one-professional-v3

and upgrades, if you already own a lower product are also dirt cheap. 

Today is the last day for the HALF OFF SALE...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account