• Software
  • Presonus Will Have a Special Cakewalk Customer Crossgrade Price NEXT WEEK (p.6)
2017/11/23 17:06:52
subtlearts
icu81b4
Hmm, £125 IS a good price, but
Audio deluxe S1 3 pro is showing dollars $199.98 when I look at it at the moment? 

Also I can't seem to register an account with them at the moment.

Yeah you need to log in to see the final price, there's another discount automatically applied. Keep trying!
2017/11/23 17:08:35
hermanoantequera
Well, preparing to pack up for band practice right now, so I'll have a go tonight or tomorrow.
2017/11/23 18:12:53
Mark D.
Zo Call me when they propose Oversampling , X ray , plugin menu layout and plugin permanet renaming , screensets , icons , templates ect .....:( love Studio one as a owner but a lot of simple stuff here and there makes me wanna quite and go back to sonar quikly ....

All of this, the plug-in part mainly too. I tried another DAW (Harrison Mixbus) and the plug in menu limitations were just ridiculous. Being able to fully customize it makes such a big difference in workflow speed. The oversampling is yet another big plus. Nobody else is doing that. Those basic aspects could survive is Sonar development is scaled way down, I mean keep all the free plugins, the included samples, sample players and soft synths can do any genre of music forever, no need to do anything more than keep bundling the existing models and make sure they work as Windows 10 is further updated.

The main issue is keeping the basics you mention and maybe tweaks to make it work faster and more efficiently or further improve audio quality if that is even possible. As a decades long user from its early MIDI days, who has the latest lifetime Platinum subscription, I'll gladly pay $100 a year to continue it in a much more streamlined update future vs. the bloatware monstrosity and need to offer every plug in someone needs since most of us use 3rd party software a majority of the time anyway, I'd bet. A much smaller staff of work-from-home coders without a big CEO bean counter can make this happen.

2017/11/23 18:35:23
lawajava
When the offer to Sonar customers comes out next week I'll definitely move on it. But as for me, I'm definitely moving to Cubase as the replacement. It's really good.

I'll add Studio One so that I can keep the perspective and conversations going. But it doesn't fit for me like Cubase does.
2017/11/23 18:41:37
Anderton
mixmkr
kinda strange just offering to cake users, if you ask me.  If was offered to other brands, it might not seem like a bit of strange-ness....but singling out Cake... hhhmm.

I asked about that. There are already crossgrades for all daws. The reason for giving a special price to cakewalk owners for now is they're "homeless," unlike those crossgrading from other DAWs.
2017/11/23 18:47:04
Unknowen
I'll wait for the ProTools Crossgrade. lol or not....  That's the only logical move for me. I'm not going to lose mixing deals because of no compliance. ;) 
I'm not going to get stuck with another useless (if there is an issues) DAW! 

But I really believe 100% Sonar is NOT dead! 

Happy Thanksgiving to those who Do.... :)

Peace!
2017/11/23 19:22:43
rmfegley
So how will one verify ownership of a Sonar license for the Studio One crossgrade price? I am unable to find any original emails of purchase confirmation and the confirmations available on my Cakewalk account page all link to the Cakewalk store, which is now defunct and redirects all requests to a posting of Noel Borthwick's announcement of Cakewalk's closure. All I have currently are my serials and purchase dates, and my most recent billing statement (I'm on a monthly billing plan but have made the requisite 12 payments required to own a full license).

I would not be in any particular hurry to switch to a new DAW if I knew my current Sonar version was not going to run into authorization problems or be broken by a Windows update, but neither of those are guaranteed as of now. I realize it's the Thanksgiving holiday weekend here in the US, so I suppose there's not much to do but wait for some official word (hopefully an entire FAQ as Noel's post promised).
2017/11/23 19:35:22
denverdrummer
Matron Landslide
denverdrummer

Simple things like double clicking to reset pan/vol controls, don't exist in Studio One.  Heck even Bitwig has that and it's been around for less time that Studio One.

You obviously haven't learnt how to use it then, in your example above it's 'ctrl click', job done in one fluid motion as apposed to SONARs 2

Just because you don't know how to use something properly, doesn't mean you should just go making things up.

I've always been able to do things way quicker in Studio One than I ever could in SONAR, even not long after I started using it 3 years ago, after having been using Cakewalk stuff since Pro Audio 9.

Studio One is just way more intuitive, with way better workflow.

It's a matter of preference, but I disagree it's more intuitive. 

Have you tried creating tempo maps to existing audio recordings?  Sonar I could just map the transients to the beat and the tempo would follow along.  In studio one you have to insert new tempos and drag the tempo and eyeball it to match.

Sonar was one of the fastest DAWs for getting things done, click drag for quick grouping, yes you can use shift click, but in Sonar it was way easier.

Also Studio One's Metronome is very primitive.  In Sonar I had dozens of choices of how to set the click to.  Studio One you have a very limited amount.

The only think I really prefer about Studio One is the way it handled busing and the basic layout, and that the faders have a dynamic throw depending on how large you adjust the mix window.  This is very useful if you're working on a laptop.

Midi is a complete joke in Studio One and is the main reason I haven't used it as my main DAW.  The built in synths pretty much suck, Cake TTS is a better synth than anything included in Studio One.

The main reason I use studio one is the project page, if you're mixing and mastering an album.  That's probably it's coolest feature.  Very easy to use and very intuitive.
2017/11/23 19:46:10
stratman70
deswind
What is the midi like on the Presonus compared to Sonar?

Is Cubase better for midi and audio?  It was midi that brought me to Cakewalk from Mastertracks Pro - yes I am that old.
Thankful.
AB

That was exactly my path also-To CWPA 6 fro m Mastertracks Pro.
Midi is all important to me and I reaper it is really Un-Intuitive. 

For long time Home Studio users like myself (appx 1988) I really hope that i continue to use sonar just the way it is. I am still on Won 8.1x64. I own 2 full copies of Win 10 Prox64 (desktop and laptop) which I installed for a few weeks and then went back to 8.1x64. So as long As I would be able to reinstall sonar and the zillion sonar plugs I have purchased I woul,d stay right where I am.

But I hate to be the pessimist, but I just do NOT see Gibson caring about our concerns at all. 
2017/11/23 19:54:43
stratman70
 EDIT: I did some searching and most of what I found was Cubase and Sonar are the best daws for midi. Any comments?

Wait E-License for cubase? Nope, not for me. Will keep hoping that Gibson does the right thing for us.....So we can use and re install.

Orig post:
So, for me, midi is the biggest thing. From what I have read so far, Studio One is NOT for me. 
Anyone else have any info or insight about the midi in other daws?  I imagine they all can bounce midi to audio. That is a large part of what I do. Only guitars and vocals are recorded live. 

I should add I have plenty of 3rd party Softsynths and plugs, So midi and midi editing are my main goals.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account