• Software
  • Presonus Will Have a Special Cakewalk Customer Crossgrade Price NEXT WEEK (p.7)
2017/11/23 20:53:45
bwbalint
rmfegley
So how will one verify ownership of a Sonar license for the Studio One crossgrade price? I am unable to find any original emails of purchase confirmation and the confirmations available on my Cakewalk account page all link to the Cakewalk store, which is now defunct and redirects all requests to a posting of Noel Borthwick's announcement of Cakewalk's closure. All I have currently are my serials and purchase dates, and my most recent billing statement (I'm on a monthly billing plan but have made the requisite 12 payments required to own a full license).

while I am not absolutely sure, but after reading Cubase's crossgrade rules, I would make a screenshot/print to pdf copy of your Cakewalk Product page, and your Cakewalk Store activity page.  These include  your special serial numbers and your purchase dates.  That would seem to be sufficient to turn in for a crossgrade deal.  
2017/11/23 21:07:25
InstrEd
Thanks I just printed to PDF those pages. Now I have to decide which way to go Cubase or Studio One.

2017/11/23 21:26:17
synkrotron
azslow3

Thanks, so I have asked that way: http://answers.presonus.com/22537/control-surface-api-for-s1
I have used only forums before, ignored the bakery. So I have not noticed that Presonus also has several options to ask questions (they could mentioned that in the "why I can not post there", but they mention "Pre-sales" only).

Nice one Alexey,

I know that it wasn't easy to find that option.

cheers

andy
2017/11/23 22:30:34
denverdrummer
deswind
What is the midi like on the Presonus compared to Sonar?

Is Cubase better for midi and audio?  It was midi that brought me to Cakewalk from Mastertracks Pro - yes I am that old.
Thankful.
AB

Midi is a joke in S1. You'd be better off with Cubase of Midi is important for you.
2017/11/23 23:02:41
denverdrummer
Matron Landslide
denverdrummer

Simple things like double clicking to reset pan/vol controls, don't exist in Studio One.  Heck even Bitwig has that and it's been around for less time that Studio One.

You obviously haven't learnt how to use it then, in your example above it's 'ctrl click', job done in one fluid motion as apposed to SONARs 2

Just because you don't know how to use something properly, doesn't mean you should just go making things up.

I've always been able to do things way quicker in Studio One than I ever could in SONAR, even not long after I started using it 3 years ago, after having been using Cakewalk stuff since Pro Audio 9.

Studio One is just way more intuitive, with way better workflow.

It's a matter of preference, but I disagree it's more intuitive. 

Have you tried creating tempo maps to existing audio recordings?  Sonar I could just map the transients to the beat and the tempo would follow along.  In studio one you have to insert new tempos and drag the tempo and eyeball it to match.

Sonar was one of the fastest DAWs for getting things done, click drag for quick grouping, yes you can use shift click, but in Sonar it was way easier.

Also Studio One's Metronome is very primitive.  In Sonar I had dozens of choices of how to set the click to.  Studio One you have a very limited amount.

The only think I really prefer about Studio One is the way it handled busing and the basic layout, and that the faders have a dynamic throw depending on how large you adjust the mix window.  This is very useful if you're working on a laptop.

Midi is a complete joke in Studio One and is the main reason I haven't used it as my main DAW.  The built in synths pretty much suck, Cake TTS is a better synth than anything included in Studio One.

The main reason I use studio one is the project page, if you're mixing and mastering an album.  That's probably it's coolest feature.  Very easy to use and very intuitive.

Listening to anything you have to say is pointless. You just made up crap about a very basic feature that you said didn't exist, couldn't be done in Studio One, you were wrong on this VERY basic thing, you obviously haven't learned and don't know how to use Studio One. You are just speaking out your arse, To me your opinion means naught because of that.
2017/11/23 23:07:33
denverdrummer
deswind
What is the midi like on the Presonus compared to Sonar?

Is Cubase better for midi and audio?  It was midi that brought me to Cakewalk from Mastertracks Pro - yes I am that old.
Thankful.
AB

Midi is a joke in S1. You'd be better off with Cubase of Midi is important for you.

Mind you, this is coming from a person who didn't even know enough to know that 'ctrl/click' reverted faders etc to zero, and even came out with a statement that Studio One couldn't do it. He speaks absolute CRAP, and obviously has no real knowledge of Studio One.

Having said that Studio One's midi may not be as deep as some others, but it just depends what you do, it does everything I need, and others have mentioned the same.

The best thing you can do, and the only way you can find out if it is acceptable to you, is try it out, demo it and see for yourself, THAT is the only way you will know if it's a good option for YOU. If it's not try something else, you will find something. SONAR will continue to work for you until some point in the future where due OS, Hardware, other software whatever causes issues that make SONAR unusable. That may be far in the future, and it may be next week, but I think it will be some time away yet if you take care to minimize the risks,
2017/11/24 00:49:35
Karyn
I've been talking to Rick Naqvi, VP of sales at PreSonus.  They will be announcing a special offer for Sonar users on Tuesday.
2017/11/24 00:58:28
soens
Yeah, MIDI implementation is a bit obscure if not convoluted. Totally different than Sonar. But Sonar was built on and for MIDI so it will remain the most intuitive of the bunch. I live in PRV so any crossover will be a major hurdle for me.

If I change it will be a very gradual process.

Checking out the trial version I still haven't seen how to set a MIDI ("Instrument") track's output to an outboard synth.

EDIT: Watched a video and kind of figured it out. Kind of a chore. Don't think I will remember it next time.

How do you move a clip forward or back? Can you?!

Grabbing an audio clip with the mouse and dragging up or down to change the velocity is cool tho.
2017/11/24 01:24:47
BRuys
Well, I jumped in before I knew about an upcoming cross-grade offer.  The Black Friday deal was already pretty sweet and through JRRShop.com there was an additional group-buy discount, making the full license US$169.98.  So I'm pretty happy.  If other existing Sonar users end up with a better deal, I wont be upset, I'll be happy for my fellow Sonar users.
2017/11/24 02:04:46
denverdrummer
Not sure why someone would get triggered off my opinion of their favorite DAW.  Studio One is not a bad DAW, and I'd never say as much.  Sonar was simply put a way more advanced DAW than Studio One.  Studio One has some good features and a good interface, and has come a long way in version 3.  The points I made about the tempo track and Metronome stand, not to metion the fact the interface is very apple centric, and there is no full screen mode despite Windows users hollering for it.

Studio One Midi is very limited.  That's not an opinion that's a fact.  No control for hardware, editing tools are limited and the bundled soft synths leave a lot to be desired.  It's better than Pro Tools Midi, which is about all I can say for it.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account