• Software
  • Presonus Will Have a Special Cakewalk Customer Crossgrade Price NEXT WEEK (p.8)
2017/11/24 02:21:21
denverdrummer

Said, blah blah blah . . . I'm a fanboi

'nouhg said.

SONAR is dead, it will live for a while long, but it is terminal, Medication has been cut,the doctor is no longer on call, it is just a matter of time, how long? no one knows for sure, those are the facts.

People have a couple of choices, they can stay with SONAR until it's final breath leaves, or they can move to another platform. IF they choose the latter, they should demo products for themselves, to find out forthemselves, it is theONLYway they will find out for themselves whether or not product 'x' will suit their needs.

Listening to someone who clearly hasn't got a clue (made obvious by the fact that they didn't even know something so basic) who makes untrue statements is of no help to anyone.

People have choices, either stay with a program that is on life support and will die at any time in the future, or find an alternative, the choice is theirs, making untrue claims about something you obviously don't have a clue about is not helpful to this decision.

Over and out.

[edit] I have no loyalty to any Company or any piece of software, couldn't care less who makes it or what it's called. I will choose what in my opinion is the best for me, what best suits my needs, if at anytime in the futer something comes along that think is better, I'm gone, I have no foolish emotional connection to companies or software, I couldn't care less, I will just use what I think is best for me
2017/11/24 02:35:21
denverdrummer
Dude why are you triggered?  This is ridiculous are you 12?  Is anyone stopping you from using Studio One?

You did not respond to the tempo track/metronome issue, and you didn't respond to hardware controlling midi.  You tell me how to do that in Studio One, and I'll defer.

Other than that I think it's obvious who the fan boy is
2017/11/24 02:38:31
dannyjmusic
I just found one thing that is really cool in Studio One... If you are putting together a song, you can section off your song and rearrange them to see how the arrangement is going to sound without having to copy all the tracks and moving down the timeline
This is the way my old Atari St with simpte track software used to work and it was really quick and easy to try different configurations of the song.
I can't believe somebody finally use that format for their sequencer
2017/11/24 03:10:08
bitflipper
Please keep the conversation civil, guys. Personally, I'm glad we have some S1 experts on hand. I intend to pump Ms. Landslide for all the information I can get. (And even if he truly is a fanboi, why would I care?)

Speaking of which, I'm curious as to what, exactly, is lacking in Studio One's MIDI features. I've heard it stated many times that SONAR and Cubase do MIDI better, but nobody's ever been specific about backing up that claim. I spend a lot of time in the PRV, but don't really demand too much from it. I'm happy as long as I can
  • Edit freely (e.g. not bound to fixed note lengths or grid snap)
  • Display/edit multiple tracks at once
  • Float the PRV window
  • Mute/solo tracks from the PRV
  • Easily enter/edit CC values by hand
  • Route multiple MIDI tracks to one instrument
  • Route MIDI to external devices
  • Overdub MIDI recording
  • Mute individual notes
  • Set precise note values
  • Edit/insert individual MIDI events
  • Scale and copy/paste MIDI notes and automation
If for some reason Studio One can't do any of these, then that would be a deal-killer. However, these are such basic operations that I've never seen a MIDI sequencer that couldn't handle them. 

Also, I haven't been able to find much information about how Studio One handles tempos. Does it have something akin to SONAR's tempo map, e.g. where I can precisely place a tempo change between two arbitrary points on the timeline, or generate a tempo map from existing audio? How hard is it to mix different time signatures?
2017/11/24 03:18:39
rj davis
Been testing the trial over the last day.  Things I like a LOT are:

Decent Mackie implementation, important since I've bonded with my MCU Pro.
GREAT Melodyne integration (CTL-M loads any audio track).  Not just with Essentials, as bundled.  Have upgraded to Studio and it works the same way.  So cool.
Nice comping feel (still getting to know it).  This is important since...

I DO really love Sonar's speed comping. 

Never use Sonar instruments, effect, Pro Channel, MIDI, loops, or a lot of other perfectly nice stuff that comes with Sonar in my workflow. 

Oh, and I've been using Cakewalk products since Greg was (probably) selling the DOS version on 5-1/4" floppies out of his garage.  Those were the days.  Sigh...

S1 so far looks like a decent option for the record/edit/mix stuff I do.  Know Sonar is likely to last for some time, but I'll start to migrate sooner than later.
2017/11/24 04:29:37
denverdrummer
Speed comping is pretty good in S1, not as fully thought out Sonar, but it comes close.  It was a lot easier in Sonar to audition the split sections in Sonar, and do the crossfades.  All possible in S1, it just takes a bit longer.  Sonar to
 do cross fades between sections you just click drag up, in S1 you have to grab the fade points on both sides to set.

As far as your list bitflipper, it can do most of that except no routing to external devices, editing notes is a little bit clunkier in S1.  Sonar has a much better smart tool IMO.
2017/11/24 04:31:06
hbarton
To answer your questions:

yes - Edit freely (e.g. not bound to fixed note lengths or grid snap)
no - Display/edit multiple tracks at once
Yes - Float the PRV window
Yes - Mute/solo tracks from the PRV
Yes - Easily enter/edit CC values by hand
Yes - Route multiple MIDI tracks to one instrument
Yes - Route MIDI to external devices
Yes - Overdub MIDI recording
Yes - Mute individual notes
Yes - Set precise note values
Yes - Edit/insert individual MIDI events
Yes - Scale and copy/paste MIDI notes and automation

You can do tempo mapping within SO, but it is probably better to use Melodyne and with the ARA integration it is the better path. See:
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=213&t=15319

Many of the features you list are accessed via a right mouse click from the Editor view (F2 key). You mentioned in another post about confusion between similar items in different DAWs - this may be one. If you double click a track's content, the Editor window will open - if that track is audio, you will see the waveform in the Editor window, if the track is an instrument, you will see the piano roll in the Editor (there is no dedicated piano roll view)

Hope that is a bit clearer than mud :-) - I am am not a power MIDI user so other that are will probably chime in.

Take care,

h
2017/11/24 11:17:01
hermanoantequera
Well you know what? I'm sticking with SPlat. It's working perfectly for me, and I see no reason to move to another DAW just yet. Sonar is simply the best, at least for me. I will wait and see how other DAWs develop and have not stopped hoping that some company will take over Cakewalk or just Sonar and continue to develop it. If that doesn't happen, I will eventually move to another DAW, but hopefully by that time there will be something that fits my workflow like a glove like Sonar.
2017/11/24 13:07:14
Joe_A
vladasyn
I was just talking with Sweetwater sale person and he told me that Cubase supports rewire. Also there is crossgrade version https://www.sweetwater.co.store/detail/CubaseP95CG

We'll, I hope it goes lower, but with this....Chase is worth looking at for me.
2017/11/26 18:45:49
peter434
Hello to everybody
The announcement from Presonus is cool, but why waiting after the Black Friday period if the price could be superior than the offer of third authorized dealers with a good additional discount : Around 169 $ ???. Any idea of a cost estimation ?
And secondly, I have Sonar X3. Do you think that I could pretend to the crossgrade price which could be exclusive to the Sonar Platinium version ?

Thanks for your attention.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account