• thoughts on the way down (p.2)
2017/11/27 04:04:50
Fleer
All we are ... mmmm
2017/11/27 18:14:41
bitflipper
jackson white
JohnKenn
anything you can do in Sonar can be done in Reaper (and possibly better).

Would appreciate your comments on; 
  • ARA integration? (i.e. Melodyne)
  • Drum replacement?
  • VocalSync?
  • The potential for leveraging any technical experience and expertise in the SONAR community for user mods/influence the development of a feature set for a smoother transition/preferred ways of working. Won't have time to fully explore this point until next year, but noting the mention of some form of framework (SWS), JS and Python. 
Suggestions for any references on the last topic also appreciated. 

Studio One does ARA integration best, some say even better than SONAR does. Mixcraft bundles Melodyne Essential. I don't think Reaper does, but you can still use Melodyne in any DAW via ReWire or their own plugin, the same way we all did in SONAR pre-ARA.

As far as where to find the most SONAR ex-pats who can offer transition advice, Studio One seems to be where most of them have turned up. Although there have been a lot of Mixcraft converts recently.

Studio One includes an audio-to-MIDI feature, and does a pretty good job of AudioSnap-style transient detection. For myself, I'm content to use Superior Drummer's drum replacement feature, which will work in any DAW.

As for the claim that "anything you can do in Sonar can be done in Reaper (and possibly better)" - well, "anything" is an awfully big umbrella. The statement would be more defensible if the hyperbole was turned down a bit by substituting "most things" for "anything". You could make a long list of missing and poorly-implemented features for any DAW, including Reaper (peruse their FR list if you doubt it).

2017/11/27 18:25:13
Mesh
Sonar/Cakewalk ex-pats also meet here (compliments of Bapu): http://www.beyondcakewalk.com/

There are a bunch of threads in there to discuss all the DAW's available as well.
2017/11/27 19:54:27
JonD
Fleer
+1 on the girls

Leave it to the academic to get straight to the gist of the matter.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account