• Cakewalk Instruments
  • In a nutshell, what's the difference between Z3TA+ 2.1, Dimension Pro and Rapture? (p.2)
2013/03/19 15:27:15
Kev999
redbarchetta

I'm really interested in dabbling in them as well.

I would recommend starting with the easiest, i.e. Dimension Pro.  Load up some sounds and try experimenting with the various different filters.  After that, check out Rapture's step sequencer.  These are very useful tools.

I don't know much about Z3ta+ 1&2.  I tend to just stick to the presets with these.
2013/03/19 15:57:46
redbarchetta
Hey Thanks Kev...
Good to know a experimentation path. 
2013/03/19 18:53:03
LaryMary
Paul P

About the Cakewalk synthesizers book...

Does the book go into much depth as far as what goes on 'underneath', especially with respect to how progams and samples are organized and processed ?

Or is like a lot of tutorial videos that only go through the various controls one by one, with comments, but don't provide much in the way of methodology, philosophy, architecture, etc. ?

Seems to me that the number of instruments the book covers must limit the depth that the author can go into for each one.

Well, having bought the book I found it very detailed and informative if a bit over my head!

The first chapter just introduces all the various Cakewalk Synthesizers; Triangle II, Square I, TTS-I etc.

Chapter 2 discusses, in detail, the various waves (sine, sawtooth, square, Noise), filters, modulation sources; envelopes (amplitude, filter, pitch), LFO's   (amplitude, filter, pitch, pulse width), combining oscillators etc.

Chapter 3 then concentrates on Intermediate & Advanced Synthesis techniques which covers more waveforms, combining oscillators, wave shaping, ring modulation, FM synthesis, various filters (notch, formant, Peak etc) and goes into other effects, distortion, compression, limiting, eq etc. 

The remaining chapters focus on each synthesizer in turn asking; What is it?  Why Use it? How to use it?  There are plenty of illustrations and examples within the text.

TBH, most of it I didn't understand, but I am hoping over time to understand it better and when I do, there is a great deal of information about programming the various synths and a whole chapter on the SFZ format.

2013/03/26 08:46:42
Paul P
LordElpus, thanks for your book review. I think I missed your reply because of this website's annoying habit of resetting my "unread posts" flags everytime I log in and out.

I have to get myself a copy of this book. I've already downloaded the updates from the author's website.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account