2017/11/21 20:53:45
dcumpian
While Cakewalk says the servers will remain on, there is no guarantee that circumstances beyond their control will force a shutdown. I mean, they do cost money to maintain and operate. At some point, unless a patch is released, Sonar will fail to authenticate and revert to demo mode. I'd rather take some time to begin transitioning to another DAW than wait for an unpleasant surprise...

Regards,
Dan
2017/11/21 21:01:28
dubdisciple
My transition was surprisingly painless. Certain aspects like piano roll were actually easier to pick up. I have been using less than a year and am nearly as proficient as i am in sonar.
2017/11/21 21:05:26
Unknowen
Well Studio one is 50% off at sweetwater right now... :)
$200.00 I guess that the plan for me then... :(

HUM? I wounder if they have a forum I can inVADE!!! lol ;)

2017/11/21 21:14:27
Glyn Barnes
MIDI is the most critical thing for me and this was not very good when I tried Studio One some time ago. I am sure its been improved a lot since then so I may take a look at the demo version again.

Presonus has a lot of hardware that should integrate well with Studio One, that could be a plus point.
2017/11/21 21:17:02
cclarry
Glyn Barnes
MIDI is the most critical thing for me and this was not very good when I tried Studio One some time ago. I am sure its been improved a lot since then so I may take a look at the demo version again.

Presonus has a lot of hardware that should integrate well with Studio One, that could be a plus point.

Pull the Demo and check it out...that's the best way to find out!

2017/11/21 21:18:33
dcumpian
Glyn Barnes

Midi is very important for me as well. Cubase is probably by far the most developed besides Sonar, but the environment is so different that I'm wary of the time it would take me to transition. S1 looks so much more familiar...

Regards,
Dan
2017/11/21 21:19:15
telecharge
dcumpian
I'd rather take some time to begin transitioning to another DAW than wait for an unpleasant surprise...

Fair enough. I'm just advocating (in general) not to do anything drastic in reaction to the news. Give yourself some time to digest it.
2017/11/21 21:23:45
dcumpian
telecharge
dcumpian
I'd rather take some time to begin transitioning to another DAW than wait for an unpleasant surprise...

Fair enough. I'm just advocating (in general) not to do anything drastic in reaction to the news. Give yourself some time to digest it.

To be fair, I've dabbled with other DAWs in the past couple of years when Sonar's rolling updates caused me a lot of grief. But then things settled down and got better. S1 has always looked interesting and now I have a reason to dig into it. I've previously tried Reaper and just never felt completely comfortable with it, even though I did spend a good deal of time setting it up to my liking. I rfeally started this thread to see if anyone would give a good reason not to try it. So far, I've only heard good things.

Regards,
Dan
2017/11/21 22:11:27
BassDaddy
Anyone know how the Mackie MCU works in S1?
2017/11/21 22:12:29
jerrydf
What a stupid mess this is! 

It looks to me like S1pro is the knee-jerk response. As far as I can see the free version of S1 doesn't allow the import of VSTs, and I'd like to be assured all my investments work, but I assume they will. I have Cubase elements and never really felt comfortable with it. Plus there's Steinberg's charging for the 0.5 builds of their products.

Whilst Sonar could continue working, the risk of it collapsing half way through a half-finished album of work is too risky. I'm fortunately at a part of the cycle where I've just finished my most recent works. So it looks like a good time to jump ship. 

The biggest pity is the possibility of this forum fragmenting. Presonus' forum looks moderately busy, but if a fraction of us from Sonar the forum invade them, they won't know what hit them!

See you on the other side, Dan!

Jerry
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account