2017/11/21 22:19:12
Fog
BassDaddy
Anyone know how the Mackie MCU works in S1?

demo it.. it should work as described, I'd bet..as their own products also have MCU.. but their own produce really work better in studio 1 than elsewhere. integration is seamless.

cubase is fine, but my issue is they are a bit hungry for my upgrade money... i've used cubase since st days.. and years on pc (10+) and some things from even back then are still familiar.  I do prefer the midi aspects of cubase in ways, BUT thats got dumbed down over the years. e.g. I used to love using scripts for patches, that gave names. later versions didn't support the scripts.

both are similar to sonar in aspects, but things like ableton / bitwig how you arrange would be more alien.. 

I do find I work differently depending on the DAW I'm using.

2017/11/21 22:47:24
TheMaartian
BassDaddy

I just checked, and, yes, it's supported. There are 3 built-in profiles for Mackie: Mackie Control, Mackie Control Extender and Mackie HUI.

Note that I struggled getting the control surface on my Panorama P6 to work well with SONAR, but it works great with S1.
2017/11/21 22:48:36
TheMaartian
Time to update my sig. 
2017/11/21 23:25:28
OP, the transition was a breeze for me, I jumped ship around Studio One 3's release, there is a few little things you'll have to learn, but I mean it was just install and on my way basically, easy as to be honest.
2017/11/22 00:19:34
hbarton
I had been using Sonar since before the "X" series but decided to try Studio One a few years ago and decided to switch. I did keep up with Sonar and purchased a lifetime update, but have not used it for quite awhile. It is a real bummer and I feel for all the Sonar folks 

A few things worth mentioning if you are thinking of trying Studio One:

- Check out the Project Page. After finding this in Studio One, I now use this as my starting point in creating/assembling songs. It makes it very easy to jump from song to song in a project, make updates, and remix.

- Being a hardware "and" software company, Presonus Studio One is very tightly integrated with Presouns hardware controllers (Faderport, StudioLive CS18AI) and the new StudioLive III mixers by the end of 2017.

- There is a very large and helpful forum similar to the Sonar forum on the Presonus website and there are many helpful Youtubes to get you up and running.

As I said, I tried Studio One, got hooked, and have not had a need to used Sonar in many years.

Take care,
h
2017/11/22 00:29:06
musichoo
Their fb group has like 20000 members. You can get help there too.
2017/11/22 00:42:45
Mitch_I
I just downloaded the Studio One 3 reference manual. It's 307 pages long, compared to 2,500 pages in the Sonar reference manual. Of course this is not a totally reliable method of comparing software products, but it's got to be some indication of the depth of the programs.

I've read that Studio One doesn't match Sonar in MIDI functionality. I'd love to learn more about that, since I use MIDI editing a lot for both hardware and software synths. Does S1 have the equivalent of INS files for hardware synths? Does it have the equivalent of Event View? Can you do most of your editing in Staff view? Does it have a sysex librarian, as Sonar does?

I plan to spend some more time with the manual, but maybe a Studio One user could chime in here.

Mitch I.
2017/11/22 00:46:21
covecamper1962
BassDaddy

From my experience, my Mackie MCU Pro worked the best in Studio One then any other DAW I have tried. You can control plugins the best. No other software required or controller needed.
2017/11/22 11:41:07
synkrotron
Studio One 3 Pro demo downloaded and installed... Had about an hour on it and, considering I didn't hit the manual, or the interwebs once, I got an instrument track down, with a simple sequence, a couple of effects busses.

Studio One 3 Pro treats send effects "channels" and busses as different things it seems, so I am referring to actual busses here, same as I would do in SONAR.

If I was forced to choose RIGHT NOW, then I think I would still go for Reaper (it is much cheaper for starters, and I already own it). I need to play with Studio One 3 Pro some more, methinks...
2017/11/22 16:31:23
Starise
I wish I could comment on the depth of midi editing in SO3. I'm a basic midi editing kind of guy.The midi functions it has does all I need it to do. I have read though that some who were using the deep midi capabilities of Sonar were disappointed in SO. This was a few years ago so this might have changed. This in no way means that what most probably do with it is inadequate. Might come up short for the deep user though. It all depends.

It takes just a little longer to scan my 500 plus vsts. That isn't a major thing for me. It doesn't appear to import mp3 files directly. Something I don't often do. If you need that though, might be worth looking into...or converting to something else.

The arranger in SO3 is second to none IMHO. You can easily move sections of arrangements around. I found this to be really helpful. 

Their answer to the command console in Sonar is more sleek and where you get updates and news from Presonus.
They have a direct upload to Nimbit, Soundcloud, use of offline mastering links similar to Sonar. Mac compatibility, so if you work with a mac user you can share files directly.

I think their hardware is under rated here on the Sonar forum. With the addition of recent hardware acceleration latency times can be trimmed WAY down.

I think there is far more to like about it than not to like. I found using keystrokes for FF,RW, REC etc fast. I found the GUI layout easy to use if not a little small to my eyes. Everything is drag and drop. It's easy to add efx and sends.I use two monitors and that made it easier, but I think even on a laptop the opener page is easy to navigate.

I really like the way Sonar lets you customize the GUI. It seems more open and usable to a guy with bad eyes. This was one of the main reason I chose to use Sonar. Probably with some GUI customizations I could grow to like SO3 better.

One other thing I should mention. SO has album mastering tools not seen in most other daws. You can master an album complete with tags for upload. While Sonar has some decent mastering tools it doesn't touch the surface of what SO3 can do in mastering a project. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account