2017/11/24 12:46:42
Glyn Barnes
I have just installed and activated a demo of Cubase 8.5 Pro (can't find one for the current version).

The installer is almost 10GB, some of this appears to be "content" but I did not see an option to select a folder for this. Is this a limitation of the demo? I am a bit pushed for space on my C: drive.

Other than that first impressions are good, not as obvious as Studio One for sure but MIDI options look impressive.

2017/11/24 12:51:46
cclarry
MIDI is where Cubase excels.  It is THE DAW for MIDI people
IMO.  

I don't see why it wouldn't let you pick an install path...
2017/11/24 21:43:10
dmbaer
cclarry
MIDI is where Cubase excels.  It is THE DAW for MIDI people
IMO.  

I don't see why it wouldn't let you pick an install path...

Exactly right about the MIDI capabilities, and also tempo editing (not perfect, but the best I have yet to find.

As to installation options, my approach for quite some time is to let DAWs do their own thing.  For synths and FX, I have a very clean and stable system.  But I don't try to tempt unfathomable strange behavior by messing with DAW directory preferences.  So far that strategy has paid off.
2017/11/24 21:46:10
cecelius2
Glyn Barnes
I have just installed and activated a demo of Cubase 8.5 Pro (can't find one for the current version).

The installer is almost 10GB, some of this appears to be "content" but I did not see an option to select a folder for this. Is this a limitation of the demo? I am a bit pushed for space on my C: drive.

Other than that first impressions are good, not as obvious as Studio One for sure but MIDI options look impressive.

I just checked my Cubase 8.5 installation.  I have my program on the C drive, but put all the library content on a separate Samples drive.  I don't remember how I selected this, but it was not difficult.  Just saying that it can be done--that is putting the large content material on a separate drive.

C2
2017/11/24 21:53:11
soens
Glyn Barnes

Can you share the link? I haven't found one anywhere.
2017/11/24 22:08:46
Glyn Barnes
soens
Glyn Barnes

Can you share the link? I haven't found one anywhere.

https://www.steinberg.net...al-available-3528.html

It took a bit of finding, stupidly you need an eLicencer to demo the software. I was already using one.
2017/11/24 22:16:21
Glyn Barnes
dmbaer

As to installation options, my approach for quite some time is to let DAWs do their own thing.  For synths and FX, I have a very clean and stable system.  But I don't try to tempt unfathomable strange behavior by messing with DAW directory preferences.  So far that strategy has paid off.
I agree with this for software and VST dlls etc. The issue is sample content. There are some loops and there is the Hailon SE samples.

As Ceceluis2 has his content on a separate drive its either something I missed or a demo limitation.
2017/11/24 22:26:05
cecelius2
I searched for screenshots of cubase installation and found this on one of their forums.  It shows that when you click on each component on the left side of the installation screen, then a box will show on the bottom right to show the default path; and you can change this path.

See this google search:  https://www.google.com/search?q=cubase+installation+screen&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiI-Nu1oNjXAhUhxVQKHYZeC9oQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1229&bih=587#imgrc=TjPqXqiIwFHNtM:

2017/11/24 22:28:56
Glyn Barnes
Thanks. That did not jump out at me 😌
2017/11/24 22:35:29
Glyn Barnes
I got my eLicencer several years ago from XILS labs to run XILS3, it was a lot cheaper than the iLok option and its never given me a problem.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account