2017/11/24 13:07:21
Bflat5
Anyone here already familiar with it? I have downloaded the demo, but haven't had the chance to play with it yet. Before I get into it I'd like to know some stuff first.

1) It's a very small download. Is it web based like Photoshop is now?
2) How close is it to Sonar in terms of features? Such as comping...
3) Will plugins that came with Sonar work with it?
2017/11/24 13:12:46
pwalpwal
1, no, the "content" bits come as separate individual downloads so the core is small
2, similar but you need to try it yourself
3, most will work with other daws
2017/11/24 17:28:23
Tripecac
Some more Studio One questions:

4) Can you control which drive is used for installation of samples, DLLs, and executables?

5) If some of the Studio One files *have* to be installed on the C: drive, can they be moved off using junctions/symlinks, similarly to how we can do that with Sonar?  Or does Studio One not "play well" with junctions/symlinks?

6) Do we need to re-install any of the soft synths and effects that we are using with Sonar, or can Studio One detect and use them in their current location?  Can we safely use soft synths (e.g., Komplete) with both Sonar and Studio One without having to install separate instances?

2017/11/24 17:52:23
dwardzala
I can answer 4) and 6)

I installed the extra content from Presonus (demo) to a second HD.  I don't remember if I got the option to install the program elsewhere.

I did not have to reinstall any of my soft synths or effects.  In fact, I believe S1 found them all automatically, but that may be because I am using the default folders for them.

No idea on your question 5 as I have never had to do that with any software.
2017/11/24 17:56:48
hbarton
Tripecac
Some more Studio One questions:

4) Can you control which drive is used for installation of samples, DLLs, and executables?

Yes you can do this at install.

5) If some of the Studio One files *have* to be installed on the C: drive, can they be moved off using junctions/symlinks, similarly to how we can do that with Sonar?  Or does Studio One not "play well" with junctions/symlinks?

Not familiar with this... I have a SSD drive for my OS, another drive for programs, and another for samples etc. It was easy to do this at install and when I install a new program, I redirect the installer to the proper drives.

6) Do we need to re-install any of the soft synths and effects that we are using with Sonar, or can Studio One detect and use them in their current location?  Can we safely use soft synths (e.g., Komplete) with both Sonar and Studio One without having to install separate instances?

If you have special directories for plugins, you can set up Studio One to scan the directories when it starts and discover your plugs. Studio One will not know about your Sonar plugs unless you tell it (You go to the Options > Locations to set up the scan locations). On note, you should turn off the scanning at startup once it discovers everything - to speed up start time after that - no need to keep re scanning.

Hope that helps!

2017/11/24 18:03:35
Tripecac
The reason I'm asking those questions is I have limited space on C, so don't want to buy something which eats up lots of space on C, as Sonar does by default.  Symlinks and junctions are a trick to move content off of the C drive while the software still "thinks" it's on C... but not all software is tricked.  Sonar is, and I'm hoping Studio One is (if Studio One installs a significant amount of stuff on C)
2017/11/24 20:54:48
bitflipper
Near as I can tell, nothing needs to be installed on C:

If you accidentally put something there, symbolic links will work because that's a Windows file system thing that applications are unaware of unless they access the file system directly, which none do except for low-level utilities.
2017/11/24 20:57:53
hbarton
Tripecac
The reason I'm asking those questions is I have limited space on C, so don't want to buy something which eats up lots of space on C, as Sonar does by default.  Symlinks and junctions are a trick to move content off of the C drive while the software still "thinks" it's on C... but not all software is tricked.  Sonar is, and I'm hoping Studio One is (if Studio One installs a significant amount of stuff on C)

Sorry Tripecac, this is something I am not familiar with but I understand what you are trying to do - sort of virtual content with pointers. My guess is yes, but you might want to visit the Presonus tech support and ask there https://www.presonus.com/support/Contact-Technical-Support

Take care,

h
2017/11/24 21:27:13
dubdisciple
I installed S1 content to A different drive and have had no issues
2017/11/24 21:38:15
Glyn Barnes
Studio One did not use up much space on C:, I easily put the content on my sample drive. Cubase 8.5 demo is a different matter. I need to investigate that further.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account