• Software
  • Is this AIR Loom II ??? (p.4)
2017/08/09 01:24:22
stevec
abacab
Loom is really special, and takes such a different approach to synthesis, that even if you are already familiar with dozens of subtractive synths, this one makes a noob of everyone, LOL!

I really like watching the partials on the Morph page!  It's like a digital Lava Lamp!

Turn down the lights, grab a drink, and have fun! 

Big ole +1 - the partials are a winner.  

But it's actually additive, not subtractive, which I think is the main reason it sounds and behaves different than most other synths.  There's something "transparent" yet edgy that I really like.

2017/08/09 01:59:11
abacab
stevec

But it's actually additive, not subtractive, which I think is the main reason it sounds and behaves different than most other synths.  There's something "transparent" yet edgy that I really like.

Um, yeah, I realize that.  I was making a comparison in switching from the workflow of a subtractive synth to that of an additive synth.  Perhaps I should have chosen my words more carefully. 
2017/10/12 13:35:33
sbangsair
Hi Guys

Its now live at our website hope you enjoy :)
2017/10/12 14:42:50
abacab
sbangsair
Hi Guys

Its now live at our website hope you enjoy :)

Hey, thanks for the heads up Simon!  Looks interesting!

Is this the first of many updated AIR instruments to come, or a one-off?  Just curious because I have the entire AIR collection. 

I also just recently got into Akai VIP 3.0, so any info about VIP compatibility for Loom II, as well as updated VIP patch maps would be a plus!  VIP is working great with the original AIR instruments.
2017/10/12 14:44:26
sbangsair
We have a number more planned and hope to release these over the next few months :)
2017/10/12 15:11:29
msorrels
Just a warning, the trial for version 2 overwrites version 1.  Not very happy about that.  Isn't resizeable either (I wasn't sure so I decided to try the trial version).  I bet I'm going to have to uninstall it and reinstall the old one.  Seems to have stuck all my old presets (inlcuding the Tapestry expansion) under "Loom 1 Legacy"  I wonder if I install Loom 1 again if I can go back but not loose the presets?

2017/10/12 15:14:41
sbangsair
msorrels
Just a warning, the trial for version 2 overwrites version 1.  Not very happy about that.  Isn't resizeable either (I wasn't sure so I decided to try the trial version).  I bet I'm going to have to uninstall it and reinstall the old one.  Seems to have stuck all my old presets (inlcuding the Tapestry expansion) under "Loom 1 Legacy"  I wonder if I install Loom 1 again if I can go back but not loose the presets?

It wont hurt any user presets or expansions :)
2 will over write use the same ID's as one to avoid breaking any existing projects.
2017/10/12 15:29:35
abacab
msorrels

Isn't resizeable either (I wasn't sure so I decided to try the trial version).  

Yup, that is a biggie for me!  Was hoping for that as well as an updated patch browser.  The AIR instruments are all very nice, but they REALLY need to improve those areas to get them up to date with the newer instruments out there.
2017/10/12 15:39:44
DrLumen
For some reason all my Air instruments keep losing the presets. I have to re-install to get them back. I have lost them 3 times now. It is to the point that I don't re-install Loom, Xpand and some others. While Loom looks really powerful, I haven't taken the time to really learn it so it is low on my re-install priorities.
2017/10/12 15:46:48
msorrels
Seems kind of buggy.  After going through maybe 20-30 presets it no longer would let me switch back to the morph mode (I pressed the button and it lit up but the UI wouldn't change).  It crashed shortly later.  I've uninstalled it, I don't have the energy to fight another crashing soft synth.  Now I have to find (or download) the version 1 installer to get back I guess. 

On my 4096x2160 31" monitor the existing Loom UI is painful.  They also didn't add drag and drop reordering of modules, which along with resizing, weren't unreasonable version 2 requests.  The new Spectral Noise and Subharmonics do seem pretty nice, but not $50 upgrade nice.  Had they added resizing UI and drag and drop module reordering I could see upgrading, but as it stands now, I think I'm going to hold off.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account