• Software
  • Is this AIR Loom II ??? (p.5)
2017/10/12 15:55:37
msorrels
It looks like Loom 1 stores it's presets in the C:\Program Files (x86)\AIR Music Technology\Loom\Presets which for most users is going to cause all kinds of security issues, since Windows doesn't let you write to that location and will play all kinds of crazy shadow directory games.  Loom 2 looks like they moved the presets to %programdata% (which is usually c:\ProgramData) which might work a bit better, but is still not how apps should work (they should be using %appdata%).

Good news though, I uninstalled Loom 2 and downloaded and re-installed Loom 1 and everything is back how it was.  (well except for the 15 day trial license on my ilok).

2017/10/12 17:02:47
abacab
DrLumen
For some reason all my Air instruments keep losing the presets. I have to re-install to get them back. I have lost them 3 times now. It is to the point that I don't re-install Loom, Xpand and some others. While Loom looks really powerful, I haven't taken the time to really learn it so it is low on my re-install priorities.

Losing presets doesn't sound normal.  I run stock Windows 10 Pro (x64) as Administrator with UAC enabled, and have never had that happen.  It may be some sort of local account permission issue as msorrels pointed to.  But the intrigue continues in my following comments ...

I install all 64-bit VST plugins (including AIR) in "C:\Program Files\VstPlugIns".  I install AIR sample content on my data drive at "D:\Air Music Technology".

Now here's the weird part >> I found all of my AIR factory presets in my Program Files (x86) path, even for my 64-bit AIR plugins.  There is a sub-folder for each of them in here >> "C:\Program Files (x86)\AIR Music Technology"

Maybe it's my fault for letting it install here at some point, but it works, and I'm not going to mess with it.  Apparently some scheme to let the 32-bit and 64-bit plugs share presets, MIDI assignments and such.  There is nothing in my VST path except the .dll's themselves, no presets, nothing.
2017/10/12 17:08:30
msorrels
You don't get to pick where AIR installs the presets, only the samples (for instruments that have samples/content).  Most of the older AIR instruments stuff presets in the 32-bit program files dir.
2017/10/12 17:14:06
abacab
msorrels
You don't get to pick where AIR installs the presets, only the samples (for instruments that have samples/content).  Most of the older AIR instruments stuff presets in the 32-bit program files dir.

Been over a year since I installed, so I couldn't recall for sure. Perhaps DrLumen has done something that blocks the plugin access to the 32-bit Program Files folder?
2017/10/12 17:39:39
Fog
saw an email / upgrade price, not impressed with the price (vs other vendors for upgrades).. and if I know other things are getting updated? I'll play the waiting game and get an upgrade as a bundle instead.

2017/10/12 21:29:50
DrLumen
abacab
msorrels

Been over a year since I installed, so I couldn't recall for sure. Perhaps DrLumen has done something that blocks the plugin access to the 32-bit Program Files folder?

I'm not sure what the deal is. I'll go to use one and it only shows the default and won't let me select any others. Strangely the defaults works fine. Maybe that is the demo mode or something. I'll check the paths and ownership. Thanks for the tips!
2017/10/13 00:13:12
Fleer
Loom (one) was pretty special, so I’m quite interested in Loom II, hoping AIR will also update Vacuum Pro and Velvet.
2017/10/13 02:22:39
abacab
Loom II is taking quite a beating over at KVR.  Just sayin...
2017/10/13 08:35:09
Fleer
Yep. Upgrade price blues. ‘Tis the season.
2017/10/13 12:28:37
DrLumen
FWIW, I checked the paths and permissions. The directory structures for all the synths exist but the preset folders are missing from some (very likely the ones I didn't reload after the last loss). Deleting them is not something I would have done nor would any windows process be so selective. I'm thinking some defective anti-piracy thing is at play.

I like some of the instruments but I'm certainly not masochistic to continue to fight with little used synths. For that matter, I see no reason to 'upgrade'.

Kicks soap box away...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account