• Features & Ideas
  • In PRV, controller lanes are practically unusable -- please fix this.
2015/02/02 16:15:11
cparmerlee
The PRV has always been extremely difficult to use when you have more than one or two controller lanes.  Now with the advent of having a PRV with multiple instruments, the controller pane has become absolutely unusable.  Multiple tracks are nice for MIDI note editing, but for controller editing this is a giant step backwards.  See the example at

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3165870

In that case, I have a PRV with 5 instruments, each having three controller lanes (velocity, volume, and legato pedal).  That's 15 lanes total, which I don't see as unusual in the slightest.  Absolutely impossible to use.  You can't bring any of them up to where you can do ANYTHING with ANY of them.  How is a person supposed to edit the velocity contour, for example.

Here are some suggestions:

#1. In PRV with multiple tracks, only show the controller lanes for tracks that are visible.

#2, In any PRV (single or multiple tracks), provide an auto-zoom behavior for the controller panes whereby if you click on anything in the controller pane, that particular lane will zoom up to a minimally useful size for editing, including showing the buttons that will allow you to hide that particular lane altogether.

#3 make the controller pane vertically scrollable so that you can expand several controller lanes without getting into the catch-22 illustrated at the above link.
2015/02/05 14:02:18
soens
I like the scroll idea. Or, if I read #1 right, when several tracks are displayed maybe display only the controllers for the current track in focus.
2015/02/05 16:54:20
cparmerlee
soens
if I read #1 right, when several tracks are displayed maybe display only the controllers for the current track in focus.

Yes, exactly.  The PRV window is potentially very nice.  It has a lot going for it.  But if you need to edit the controllers (and I do that as often as I edit the notes themselves) this quickly becomes unusable once there are more than one or 2 controller lanes in the window.

What is needed is a way to get rid of the clutter and ensure no matter what, you can always get to at least one controller in a usable way.  All three of my suggestions could be implemented.  This wouldn't take ANYTHING away from the current usability.  Each of the suggestions would be an improvement and if Cake implemented all three, the controller part of the PRV would become about as useful as the piano part of the PRV.
2015/02/06 05:01:25
williamcopper
Good grief ... hadn't hit this one yet, but ABSOLUTELY.   This is horrible.   This should go in the bug report forum, it makes a 'feature' completely unusable, or so time consuming as to drive us away.    As a standard template I add several controllers with default values to every track.      I'm still getting up to speed on x3, but when I load in some of my 100-track projects with 4 controllers per track .... am I supposed to be able to use 400 lanes?  Or scroll around in them some how?  

YIIIIIIIKKKKES>      Do the cakewalk programmers even know what midi means?
2015/02/06 09:48:58
cparmerlee
williamcopper
As a standard template I add several controllers with default values to every track.    

I always thought I must be doing something wrong because controller lanes were never really usable if you had more than 2.  But now I understand it is just a really poor design.  And the shame is that it would not be hard to make that design work a whole lot better using the same approaches they have used in other parts of the application.  I'm not talking about coming up with some strange, exotic, hard-to-understand UI.  I'm simply talking about doing some obvious things that would be completely consistent with how the rest of the program works.

williamcopper
Do the cakewalk programmers even know what midi means?

This is what is so bewildering to me.  At one point, MIDI was the core competency of Cakewalk.  It seems like they have spent so much tine in the WAV world doing all manner of minutia there, and have completely lost touch with MIDI.  To me, MIDI is still highly relevant.
2015/02/06 13:20:35
williamcopper
I just hit this one in 'real life'.   Trying to adjust the velocity of one note while seeing the velocity in a different track.  I tried to select the edge of the lower controller lane to get it out of the way, to make the particular lane I was interested in larger: nope cannot be done. 
2015/02/06 13:25:20
williamcopper
If they fixed this and a few other issues in the midi windows (PRV, EL, Staff) it might be worth the upgrade price yet again.  
2015/04/02 19:28:26
g_randybrown
williamcopper
If they fixed this and a few other issues in the midi windows (PRV, EL, Staff) it might be worth the upgrade price yet again.  

I just gave this 5 stars because I agree that the PRV needs some work but I gotta say (IMHO) that the upgrade is well worth the price!
2015/04/02 23:51:25
cparmerlee
I was hopeful that with these two monthly releases, maybe something had been done about this problem.  I went back to test it and found it is still as unusable as ever.
2015/04/03 11:40:34
stevec
Voted.   I don't find the CC lanes unusable, but I really like your suggestions.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account