2012/12/30 13:03:40
SGMW
Hey,

I am putting together a 3 piece,  family-based cover band (guitar, bass drums).  

I would really like to record some backing parts with extra percussion and keyboard parts.  I am comfortable recording midi and using soft synths in Sonar but I have no idea how to configure them to sound even close to the synths used by, say the Cars or Depeche Mode.

Could anyone tell me where I could find a set of (e.g.) 80s patches for any of the synths that come with X1 Producer? 

Thanks a lot and happy New Year.

Cheers,
Thomas
2012/12/30 13:50:55
Jeff M.
Check out the E-MU Proteus Pack for Dimension in the Cake Store for $20.

Or the mus3um stuff for Z3ta and/or Rapture.
 http://patcharena.com/dow...a6c7cba0e0a7d0a03bbff0

I don't see why they would not work with the LE versions if you haven't upgraded those synths.

2012/12/30 13:50:58
Fog
well drum machines aren't an issue as you have an 808 and 909 in sonar, goldbaby do decent libraries also.

as for synth patches, it's tricky.. a lot of makers do "sound-a-like" patches or if you can find out the synth used in the original e.g. oberheim used in 99 red baloons / jump then it does make it a bit easier to find a modern equivalent.

there is a pack of vintage stuff does for z3ta +2  of 80's synths

but why not download muz3um for rapture  / z3ta... both are free and do have a lot of the older sounding synths.

I own lush + diva also.. both aren't cheap, and eat CPU but are very good.

a nice juno sounding thing is TAL's one.. which is a decent enough price

or get synth1 by the japanese guy.. on kvr.. the extra patches you'll find useful.

2012/12/30 14:11:09
AT
The muz3um soundsets are good for your use - classic synth samples pre-programmed.  The Rapture ones are arranged w/ several synths layered - you have to mute one or more elements but it is a good way to pack lots of sounds in fewer presets.

There are lots of free stuff for Z3ta, too, not just the mus3um.
2012/12/30 14:26:47
scook
Does anyone use PSYNII?
2012/12/30 22:50:41
dubdisciple
I think psynII was more popular among project 5 users. It's a decent synth but kind of overlaps in many ways with other cakewalk synths. It would not be too far off to say it sounds a little like a a brighter Pentagon. The broade popularity of z3ta+ probably makes it your best choice to find already existing patches that emulate 80's artists. gearwire did a tutorial a few years back recreating "Blue Monday" using Rapture le: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtEd7WY7pp0
2012/12/30 23:46:31
scook
I thought it's name was a reference to Pentagon. It seems less "in your face" than z3ta and way more stable than Pentagon. Of the CW stuff, I use Rapture most often but was curious why it never gets mentioned when seeking analog sounding stuff out of CW synths.
2012/12/31 00:16:48
dubdisciple
I prefer the sound of pentagon to psyn, but it does seem to crash a lot. I noticed on each patch you have to be extra careful not to clip within the vst.
2012/12/31 00:26:04
scook
And pentagon also has the added feature of the Valley setting in the simulator. What a thrill when patches that use the simulator peg the output. It was a nice synth and the vocoder is an interesting touch but it seriously needs work.
2012/12/31 16:16:46
SGMW
Thanks very much all.  I will start with the  mus3um.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account