• Techniques
  • Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording (p.2)
2014/09/02 01:41:53
sharke
wizard71
This probably isnt your problem but I encountered a noise with my guit which id describe as ringing wailing whistling and eventually discovered I had the +48 turned on on my input as well as the Hi-Z in the octa capture software control panel. Silly me.

I've done that before as well. Luckily my interface has an orange indicator which lights up when it's on, otherwise I'd probably forget to switch it off all the time. 
2014/09/02 21:39:46
sharke
Danny Danzi
Sharke, any way you can let me hear a sample of this noise if/when you get a chance?

I sent you a PM with a link last night but it didn't show in my "sent" folder, so I sent it again and it still didn't show...let me know if you got it. 
2014/09/02 22:58:42
The Band19
sharke
The Band19
Some people pay good money to get those whistling ringing tones in their guitar performance? Now put the ebow DOWN

You think that Fender has issues? Try this on for size... my guitarviol, Togaman baby!

Now that just doesn't look practical, lol!

Well, it's not actually a guitar in the true sense of the word? It's tuned like one? But it has a curved neck, and it's designed to sit up on your lap and be played essentially like a cello? (that's why there's a bow hanging there with it)

They're pretty cool instruments, you can learn about them at http://www.togamanguitars.com/ They can sound like a guitar, they can sound like a cello, they can sound like a violin. But it's tuned like a guitar? Good times... The "stuff" on mine is the head of Leonitus and his shield (from the movie The 300.) And the model (at the time) was called "The Spartan." So I thought it would be cool to customize it with a 300 theme. He made a few more customized instruments after that? But my idea started the trend :-)

The sound track from the movie "The 300" actually has this instrument (not this one, but an electric guitarviol) on it. They are actually used in many sound tracks, guitarviols made by Jonathan. 
2014/09/02 23:11:34
sharke
The Band19
sharke
The Band19
Some people pay good money to get those whistling ringing tones in their guitar performance? Now put the ebow DOWN

You think that Fender has issues? Try this on for size... my guitarviol, Togaman baby!

Now that just doesn't look practical, lol!

Well, it's not actually a guitar in the true sense of the word? It's tuned like one? But it has a curved neck, and it's designed to sit up on your lap and be played essentially like a cello? (that's why there's a bow hanging there with it)

They're pretty cool instruments, you can learn about them at http://www.togamanguitars.com/ They can sound like a guitar, they can sound like a cello, they can sound like a violin. But it's tuned like a guitar? Good times... The "stuff" on mine is the head of Leonitus and his shield (from the movie The 300.) And the model (at the time) was called "The Spartan." So I thought it would be cool to customize it with a 300 theme. He made a few more customized instruments after that? But my idea started the trend :-)

The sound track from the movie "The 300" actually has this instrument (not this one, but an electric guitarviol) on it. They are actually used in many sound tracks, guitarviols made by Jonathan. 

I'd love to mess with one. They seem pretty pricey but then again not so much for a good quality hand built instrument. Do you get get enough use out of it to justify the price? 
2014/09/02 23:21:45
The Band19
"Do you get get enough use out of it to justify the price?"

No, no I do not... But do I have buyers remorse? Also no? No I do not :-) It's just a cool thing to own man? And when you play one? (which I do) It's difficult to verbalize. I need to play it more. In fact? I'm going to play on one I'm working on that I started tonight :-) A grass tune I had to yank down due to the tools that put up the tune on their Karaoke site from which I joined and downloaded it , and then they said "Soundcloud?" Oh no, you can't post our backing track there... It was like the human centipad episode from Southpark? Why can't we get it to read!!?? Ok Kyle, we can have you surgically removed, just sign here.

I think everyone should take up an unusual instrument :-)

I also have one of these? :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYKB6Lag-wg

It's a tapping instrument? Many people aren't familiar with them. I would love a hammer dulcimer, and a glass harmonica. Maybe a set of hand bells...
2014/09/03 00:23:29
sharke
Ah yes the Chapman Stick...always fancied one of those. I dabbled with the Stanley Jordan style many years ago but in the end gave it up because it meant keeping my right hand nails short as well and I need those to fingerpick...

I have Trilian which has a Chapman Stick in there. I've used it as a synth a couple of times, great sound. 
2014/09/03 00:44:07
The Band19
We should all take up an unusual instrument IMO. I think bag pipes are cool! :-) I once met a girl named Grace? She was amazing...
2014/09/03 01:01:50
sharke
Yeah I'd love to build a collection of weird and wonderful instruments but unfortunately I live in a typical Manhattan cubicle and just don't have the space...my 3 guitars are just about pushing it 

I guess the most unusual instrument I ever took up was the banjo, not that unusual I know. I borrowed one off a friend years ago and took to that fast 3-finger picking thing like a duck to water. And when I eventually had to give it back after a couple of months and picked up my guitar again, I found that I was playing that like a banjo too. It's influenced my playing style ever since. Taking up a new instrument fires up a whole new set of neurons and makes you see your regular instruments in a new light. 
2014/09/03 04:00:09
The Band19
The banjo is "awesome!" That's what I'm trying to do on a keyboard right now? Using these guys;

http://www.boldersounds.net/

Their bluegrass banjo? It's a pretty cool tool...

I would like to take the time to learn to play the banjo? Because I play stringed instruments. But to be proficient? It would just take me too long. But I can fool you with a good tool like boldersounds... It just takes time. (a week or so :-) And you'll swear it's a banjo player!
2018/01/14 19:04:28
dkap2000
I'm having the exact same nasty/ringing problem.  At first I didn't notice, but I too can't get past it, and have to do some heavy notching.  Reverb seems to accentuate the problem.  Were you able to come up with a solution, Sharke?
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account