• Techniques
  • Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording (p.3)
2018/01/14 23:41:53
Danny Danzi
I can't recall what the outcome was with sharke or why I.never replied back to this thread....but dkap, can you supply a sample of the noise? I don't even remember this old thread.

-Danny
2018/01/15 23:32:57
batsbrew

2018/01/16 10:31:29
jamesg1213
Funnily enough I just had this advice from someone on another forum;

''I also followed their setup guide for my Tele. One trick I learned on it was, if you are getting micro-phonic ringing from the silver pickup, stuff some soft spongy foam packing material in the cavity under the pick plate tightly around the silver pickup. Doing so completely eliminated the ringing on my Tele.''
2018/01/16 22:43:02
sharke
Danny Danzi
I can't recall what the outcome was with sharke or why I.never replied back to this thread....but dkap, can you supply a sample of the noise? I don't even remember this old thread.

-Danny

I went back and looked through my PM folder to see what you said:

What I believe may be happening is...there is an artifact either on the guitar or something strange with how you are executing the stuff you are playing. My hunch is, whatever that something may be....the Babyface is accentuating it. Sometimes, amps just bring out tones that we aren't down with due to how they react to our execution.

You then went on to relate how you have a Carvin guitar which sounds good through other amps but when played through your Orange amp, seems to produce this sort of whistling feedback, and you chalked it up to that particular guitar and amp not playing nice together. So perhaps that was the kind of thing I was hearing. For the life of my I cannot remember what my issue sounded like at the time. I must have sent you a .wav of the guitar for you to have commented on it, but for some reason the stupid forum software doesn't seem to have saved the original PM I sent you - I can just see the replies. I'd like to listen to that .wav again!
2018/01/16 22:52:36
sharke
Thinking about it more carefully, I think I can remember the guitar part in question. It was a fast fingerpicked lead in which I'd held down consecutive scale tones on 3 adjacent strings so that the notes ran into each other. I'm thinking that perhaps the dissonance of those close intervals washing over each other may have been the cause of the overtones or whistling or whatever it was? 
2018/01/17 19:03:51
Danny Danzi
sharke
Danny Danzi

-Danny

I went back and looked through my PM folder to see what you said:

What I believe may be happening is...there is an artifact either on the guitar or something strange with how you are executing the stuff you are playing. My hunch is, whatever that something may be....the Babyface is accentuating it. Sometimes, amps just bring out tones that we aren't down with due to how they react to our execution.

You then went on to relate how you have a Carvin guitar which sounds good through other amps but when played through your Orange amp, seems to produce this sort of whistling feedback, and you chalked it up to that particular guitar and amp not playing nice together. So perhaps that was the kind of thing I was hearing. For the life of my I cannot remember what my issue sounded like at the time. I must have sent you a .wav of the guitar for you to have commented on it, but for some reason the stupid forum software doesn't seem to have saved the original PM I sent you - I can just see the replies. I'd like to listen to that .wav again!

Hahaha thanks! I didn't think I'd leave you without a reply...but for the life of me, I just couldn't recall what we were dealing with. :)
2018/01/18 23:24:56
DeeringAmps
Not saying this was your problem, but as I mentioned above, I dampen the stings on the headstock.
Here's a video where Dan Erlewine and Dakota Dave Hull discuss it.
FF to 2:50 for Dave's explanation.

T
2018/01/19 18:55:10
dkap2000
Here is an isolated snippet of a guitar track. It's a tele with a bigsby at the middle pickup pos.  At measures 5 and 6 the ringing is the worst.  In headphones, it is even more obvious.  I'm presume the massive amount of reverb exacerbates the problem. 

Is this reminiscent of your problem, Sharke?

I had to do some extreme eq notching to smooth it out.  I tried muting the strings above the nut and below the bridge, but it didn't make much difference.  Upon further experiments, I think perhaps part of the problem is the low E and A strings weren't damped, and they are probably adding to the sea of harmonic overtones.  Maybe this is normal?

Here is the finished track.

2018/01/19 18:56:55
dkap2000
It looks like my soundcloud links are not in my previous message. How can I link to sound files on this forum?  

2018/01/19 19:15:43
dkap2000
Here are some dropbox links to the files. Maybe this will work.

solo guitar w/ ringing problem

finished track w notched eq on guitar

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account