• Techniques
  • Nasty ringing/whistling tones in electric guitar recording (p.4)
2018/01/19 19:20:22
jamesg1213
You haven't got enough posts to insert a link yet. If you spell out your Soundcloud page one of us can do a link.
2018/01/19 19:48:09
dkap2000
OK.  It seems my links don't show up because I haven't made enough posts.  So, if you go to soundcloud.com/  and add    david-kaplan-150786613/swami-song-guitar-solo-test   
you will hear my sample.

For the finished tune, go to bandcamp page and find my record - "Same Room, Different Hotel" and click on Swami Song.

Hope this works.

2018/01/19 20:25:46
batsbrew
no can hear anythings
2018/01/19 20:32:10
jamesg1213
Can't find your Soundcloud track (did you make it public?) but here's the Bandcamp link.

https://davidkaplan.bandc...e-room-different-hotel
2018/01/19 20:34:46
dkap2000
I made the soundcloud link private because I didn't want my subscribers to hear only a little test snippet.  I thought you could still hear a private file if you had the link.  Not sure what to do.  Thanks for your help

2018/01/19 20:41:04
dkap2000
If you go to dropbox, the test snippet is here.  Maybe this will work.
  /s/6rfdtpklbvbhzzz/Swami%20Song-%20guitar%20solo%20test.mp3?dl=0
2018/01/19 21:54:55
batsbrew
I JUST HEAR PINGING on the frets and or bridge...

sounds like a setup problem with the guitar.
2018/01/19 23:08:59
jimfogle
The Band19
The banjo is "awesome!" That's what I'm trying to do on a keyboard right now? Using these guys;

http://www.boldersounds.net/

Here is another Kontakt powered banjo I enjoy.  http://realitone.com/realibanjo/  The GUI is kinda goofy but it works pretty good with both the Kontakt Free and full blown Kontakt.
2018/01/22 20:24:26
Danny Danzi
dkap2000: I'm not hearing anything abnormal in your link. It sounds good to me. It's a matter of whether or not you or other people listening like the tone you have really. But I don't hear any artifacts or anything that raise any red flags in terms of "ring or whistle". Trust me, I get paid pretty good to identify, remove or remedy stuff like this on a daily basis. What you may be hearing is something either tone related, or like batsbrew said...something in the setup of your guitar that may be making something more apparent to you. I'm not hearing any excessive fret noise, buzzing due to action being too low, or any rattles.

Now keep in mind, and this is important. If you are using a guitar modeler of any type, they are VERY temperamental with certain guitars and pick-ups. I've been a beta tester/developer for a few modeling companies and am currently with Fractal Audio, one of the leaders in amp modeling. I've noticed that tones created for humbucking guitars will sound way different, and almost to the point of "bad" with strats and some tele's. This isn't the case with real amps, as they seem to compensate and get you close with any guitar you use unless the pups are extremely loaded with an eq boost or super high output.

So if you are using some sort of modeler, it could be the sound you've selected just not jiving with your guitar. Are you going directly into your interface with no other bells or whistles like Sharke was? Sometimes that could be an issue as well. Digital recording can be extremely unforgiving. Analog gets all the credit as being pure when in reality, IT is coloring the sound to the point of not really being your sound at all. Digital just plays back what you put into it.

If I played a tele or strat directly into a console going into a tape machine, the tape machine will curb the highs with tape compression and a little saturation if I hit it a little harder than normal. With digital, that is not the case. If you push it hard, it will clip and sound terrible. You get what you put in. Analog is always going to curb a little high end off and make things a bit warmer. Your experience will vary based on signal chain as well as the components used. But anything digital is going to give you your true sound. And sometimes, that true sound isn't what we're after. That of course doesn't mean analog is better or digital is better. It means one colors the sound a bit, one gives it to you straight.

-Danny
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account