• Computers
  • New Thunderbolt PC Build - documenting the build Day 3 (p.3)
2017/03/27 14:28:24
Jim Roseberry
Yes, you need to flash the BIOS to latest version to support the 7700k.

2017/03/27 14:35:29
smallstonefan
Jim Roseberry

Thanks Jim! Lesson noted - I only checked compatibility when I ordered the parts and did not think to research BIOS version.

Well, that's one of the reasons for posting the build - if this helps one person avoid the mistake in the future then I have done my job! :)
2017/03/27 15:55:20
smallstonefan
So, my board supports Q-Flash but not Q-Flash Plus, which means I have to have supported CPU and memory in it to flash it. 

It will take a few days, but we'll get the parts in to get it done.
2017/03/27 20:29:12
Jim Roseberry
Yep, the absolute latest motherboards (Z270, etc) have a specific USB port that allows flashing the BIOS (sans CPU).
You'd think they'd start updating the shipping BIOS revisions...
2017/03/27 21:02:58
smallstonefan
Jim Roseberry
Yep, the absolute latest motherboards (Z270, etc) have a specific USB port that allows flashing the BIOS (sans CPU).
You'd think they'd start updating the shipping BIOS revisions...

Right!!! After all of these years of building and overclocking the idea of being able to flash the bios with no cpu or memory makes total sense. 

I'll have a CPU I can use to get this going tomorrow. Hopefully the BIOS flash will get me rolling again...
2017/03/28 14:46:26
filtersweep
So, do you actually have to buy a supported cpu just to update the bios and then reinstall your 7700k. What do you do with the cpu you needed just for the BIOS update??
2017/03/28 15:02:04
smallstonefan
filtersweep
So, do you actually have to buy a supported cpu just to update the bios and then reinstall your 7700k. What do you do with the cpu you needed just for the BIOS update??

Great question! Fortunately, I work for a software company and our techs were about to build a new machine for a developer anyway. So they had a CPU over-nighted that will work. They'll use that to boot my machine and upgrade the BIOS, then they will use the CPU they bought to build a development machine.

I'm very fortunate to have this option, or I would have been looking at pulling the board and RMAing it...
2017/03/28 15:53:20
kitekrazy1
Amazing how impractical CPU coolers are these days.  If one does not overclock stock coolers are sufficient.  If they weren't Intel and AMD would be in trouble with a lot of RMAs.
2017/03/28 15:56:24
kitekrazy1
smallstonefan
Jim Roseberry

Thanks Jim! Lesson noted - I only checked compatibility when I ordered the parts and did not think to research BIOS version.

Well, that's one of the reasons for posting the build - if this helps one person avoid the mistake in the future then I have done my job! :)

Sometimes there is never enough homework when it comes to a system build. Sometimes when you order hardware you have no idea how long they've been sitting on a shelf.  That can also create the situation. 
2017/03/28 18:05:01
smallstonefan
OK, so they popped in an older CPU and booted. The BIOS has been updated and now my ram and CPU are working in the machine! :)

Back to it...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account