• Software
  • **Message from Don Williams - Overture 5 - Updated** (p.4)
2017/11/30 12:02:46
MattyBoy
Unbelievable - no way to now how this would have affected Cakewalks future, but surely it would have generated much needed positive buzz about Sonar and help heal it's perception issue - it might even have opened up some educational sales. Sad.

Will definitely check out overture, as it seems a very generous offer.
2017/11/30 13:50:02
mattiashenningson
Interesting! Prior to Presonus purchase of Notion I was hoping Cakewalk would somehow integrate Notion. The second option was Overture that also seemed like a logical choice. It seems it wasn't that far away after all...

Thanks Don, that's a great deal!

2017/11/30 14:23:32
splinetime
Thank you for the insight, and offer. When Gibson stated they were going to pursue a position in the "consumer electronics" market I had a pretty good idea of what their problems stem from. A lack of understanding about the market they were in. Music production and CE have no direct correlation (despite the fact that music production creates content) The fact that Phillips was mentioned indicated they are no more informed of the market they are aiming for, than they were about how to let Cakewalk succeed and make them money (and no, not at the level of a highly successful CE line). The last year with Cakewalk had me saying, this is what intelligent software development is about, I was truly impressed and talking it up to every connection I had.

The consumer electronics market is saturated, Phillips is a marginal company at best and to think that getting into that market is a saving grace indicates a poor understanding of marketing and business strategy. Oh, and a half billion in debt.... 'nough said.

Thanks for the update, the offer and the humanity,
Kevin, a very happy, and yet disappointed SONAR user. :)
2017/11/30 15:44:24
Makzimia
Got it, was good value at first blush. Runs laggy as all get out on my very well specced setup. And it's the only program that does.
2017/11/30 16:09:22
khapahk1956
Downloaded the demo about an hour ago to have a play with it.  This is an excellent product and would have gone a very long way to dealing with the Sonar "Staff" issues blighting that side of an otherwise superb DAW.  Oh, well, all too late now.

Bob
2017/11/30 16:21:43
pbognar
Anderton
Well I had started a thread about this, and Karyn wanted to merge it with this one, but it disappeared. It figures.

Anyway, Don is the real deal and so is Overture. This is what I was alluding to when I posted that I was pursuing a notation solution. I'm sorry it didn't work out.

It is still unfathomable that embedding even a liability free / lightweight version of Overture into Sonar was dismissed by Gibson.

In light of these recent revelations, I want to apologize to the Cakewalk staff (if any of you are reading) for any implicit or explicit blame that nothing was being done on the Staff View front.  I can only imagine how the Bakers must have felt being so close to a solution and not being able to say anything about it.

I may be blowing things out of proportion, but I believe this could have done well for Sonar, maybe even change some minds.

I decided after X3 that I wouldn't upgrade anymore unless I saw some SV love.  In retrospect, I have mixed feelings.  Sonar has a unique collection of features, which after looking around, are not all available in any single DAW.

2017/11/30 16:25:12
FCCfirstclass
Karyn
To the end of the year.

Karyn, not to pic a nit, but Don had typed December 1 as the end date.   Are you sure it goes to Dec 31?  
Thanks,
Clint
2017/11/30 17:37:59
SquireBum
Even though I had just bought Notion during the Black Friday sale, I tried the demo of Overture 5 yesterday and was impressed enough that I bought it.

The addition of even some of Overture's technology to SONAR would have been the icing on the Cake(walk) for us Staff View users.  Thank you to Don Williams and the Cakewalk staff for their efforts and thank you Don for your extremely generous offer.

Thanks again,
-- Ron

2017/11/30 18:46:24
Resonant Serpent
I think the biggest revelation for me is that the Bakers outright lied about the acquisition by Gibson. It was plainly stated here on the forums that Cakewalk would still be in full control of Sonar sales and development. Obviously, that wasn't true. How many other bad decisions were made by Gibson?

What a waste...
2017/11/30 19:41:12
ActionOxford
Got Overture 5. For $50 bucks it's a steal. When I write in midi notation is the only thing I can work in. Reaper and Sonar notation editing are both lacking. Thanks to Sonic Scores for the offer. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account