• Computers
  • Will upgraded graphics card with beefy GPU help CPU performance?
2018/04/07 16:07:35
Billy86
So I’ve gone to an SSD and I’m trying to get the most out of my CPU for recording, mixing etc. So, like the question says, will a new card with a GPU provide any significant boost and CPU performance by reducing its load? Thanks for any insight.
2018/04/07 17:22:14
fireberd
I haven't noticed any difference in system performance using the built in Intel on a Dell laptop that also has an NVIDA video option.  Maybe there is some that I don't see.  A separate video card can't hurt as long as the power supply can handle it (that is a consideration on Dell desktops as they generally only spec the power supply for what the PC needs and it likely does not have a power connector for a video card).  I do support on the Dell forum and often see power supply issues with add on hardware.

Post the Dell model (e.g Inspiron 530) and I'll check the spec's.   
2018/04/07 19:19:15
Billy86
Hey thanks. I’m using a Dell XPS 8500 i5 desktop from 2012.
2018/04/07 23:38:10
abacab
I tested a nvidia GTX 950 on my DAW, and could see no improvement there, over the integrated Intel HD graphics.

However, I moved that GPU to my media center PC and now I can play games at full HD 1920 with max settings and no frame rate dropouts. 
2018/04/08 11:19:47
pb7r47sz
Billy86,
As far as audio processing goes, I refer your question to the following article published in 2009 by SoundonSound.  Here is the link:
https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/using-your-graphics-card-process-plug-ins
The short answer is yes.  As with any computing desire, you need to flip the correct switches or have a program that will do it for you.  Then there is the economics.

2018/04/08 16:24:31
Jim Roseberry
You have to think about the context in which you're using a high-end video card.

If you're playing a video game (looking for high 3D frame-rates), then absolutely a high-end video card will aid performance.

For DAW purposes, where we're not pushing graphics hard at all... a high-end video card will not increase performance.  You'll not be able to run additional plugins or work at lower audio latency.

• If you want to run four large displays, a higher-end video card will be necessary.
  • If you do a significant amount of video editing/rendering, a higher-end video card is recommended (aids video processing/rendering).  Some video plugins (ie: New Blue Titler Pro) won't operate without a higher-end dedicated video card

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account