2018/10/26 02:00:34
Johnbee58
OK!  We have Soundclick, Soundcloud, Bandcamp, Reverbnation just to name a few.  I take notice that most here post their tunes to Soundcloud.  The quality of the players differ greatly.  I use mostly Soundclick and Bandcamp.  Bandcamp only accepts uncompressed WAVs where Soundclick, on a free account will accept nothing higher than 128 compressed MP3 files.  I find that Bandcamp's player is so crappy that the 128 MP3s sound better on Soundclick's player.

Your thoughts on this.  Which sites players do you find the best?

John B.
2018/10/26 02:48:59
bayoubill
The very reason I don't use Soundclick and Bandcamp is the quality of the MP3s. To me any recording with less than 224 Kbps doesn't match the sound of the recordings I make. I use Soundcloud because it's wav files. Not that it sounds that great but I'm not selling any music and it works for me for friends and family. I listen to the songs I record in Sonar when I want to hear them myself
2018/10/26 04:36:17
kennywtelejazz
If you like Soundclick you may want to try bumping up the bit-rate of your MP3 uploads .
On my SC free account I have gotten them to accept and convert up to about 190

Kenny
2018/10/26 10:34:49
pwalpwal
i've bought and downloaded a bunch of stuff via bandcamp over the years and never had any issues with the digital delivery (mp3/wav/flac)

oho aha you're talking about the online web player widget thing? not enough experience to have an opinion

good luck!
2018/10/26 12:41:44
Johnbee58
pwalpwal
i've bought and downloaded a bunch of stuff via bandcamp over the years and never had any issues with the digital delivery (mp3/wav/flac)

oho aha you're talking about the online web player widget thing? not enough experience to have an opinion

good luck!

Yeah, not an issue uploading or downloading.  Just the sound quality of their player.
JB
2018/10/26 13:04:22
Wayfarer
I've always been astounded that so many guys here spend a ton of money on music equipment, yet they won't spend less than ten bucks per month for space on a good web server where they can upload anything they want.

Bill
2018/10/26 15:48:57
Johnbee58
Wayfarer
I've always been astounded that so many guys here spend a ton of money on music equipment, yet they won't spend less than ten bucks per month for space on a good web server where they can upload anything they want.

Bill

Can you really rent a web server that cheap?  Last I checked they were close to $100.00 a month, but that was a while ago.
Last I checked, a VIP on SC was around $7.00 a month and then I think you can post as high a bit rate as you want.

2018/10/26 16:23:00
jamesg1213
Johnbee58
Wayfarer

Bill

Can you really rent a web server that cheap?  Last I checked they were close to $100.00 a month, but that was a while ago.
Last I checked, a VIP on SC was around $7.00 a month and then I think you can post as high a bit rate as you want.

I use Box.net, costs (equiv. of) $5 a month. If I chose to I could upload and link to WAVs from there. I just use Soundcloud out of habit really.
2018/10/26 16:38:08
Wayfarer
You just rent space ON a server john. That's what 90% of all websites are. Only big companies have their own servers. You just need a web "host". I've been using these guys for nearly 20 years without a hiccup and unlimited space & bandwidth:

https://phpwebhosting.com

Of course you'll need to make a web page(s), and if you don't know HTML / CSS, you'll need something MS Expression Web or Dreamweaver to do it, and then upload via FTP. But if you just want to share audio files, you don't need a web page.

Yes, it's much easier to use something like a blog site, but then you're stuck with whatever bandwidth and server space they give you, and that isn't much when you consider the size of music or video files.

Bill
2018/11/09 12:42:15
silvercn
I'd like to suggest you check out Squarespace, if you would like a really nice, personalized music site..reasonably priced. They offer great templates specific to musicians. It has its own embedded player you can personalize, but as an option you can embed tracks from Soundcloud. You can also have a background video looping with your song plays, as I do. Great for those who mostly share music with friends and family, but you can sell music and merch there too. If you would like to check out my work in progress, it's here:
cnsacoustic.squarespace.com

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account