• Software
  • Any Sony Sound Forge Users here? Or do you know of a better alternative to Sound Forge?
2017/10/28 16:04:23
Audioicon

I am currently using Sound Forge 9 and I am having some serious issues with the Software Keeping the set Sample Rate.
Under Audio --> Advanced, I am able to set the Sample Rate but regardless of what I change it to, the moment I click Apply, it reverts back to 44.1k causing a nasty pop-sound in my speakers.

The only thing I use Sound Forge for is to Convert Sample Rates and do Fade out.

Any one using this software or know or a better alternative?

Thanks!
2017/10/28 16:55:47
BobF
I've used Audacity for years to trim/fade and convert to mp3.

I'm not sure what samplerate options are available though.
2017/10/28 17:03:09
Audioicon
BobF
I've used Audacity for years to trim/fade and convert to mp3.

I'm not sure what samplerate options are available though.

I am thinking I am just going to do a work around: Meaning, export the RAW 24/96 file and master it in Ozone.
The take the 24/96 master and import back into Sonar, do the fade and crop, the export as 16/44.1.

Given that I am doing an export, I do not have to mess with Sample rate settings in the Sound Card.

By the way, how do you get the file into Audacity, meaning what is the Sample Rate when you do this?

2017/10/28 17:46:22
BobF
Export as 44.1 WAV, open in Audacity ...

2017/10/28 18:00:59
kitekrazy1
Maybe Izotope RX elements?   
2017/10/28 19:32:39
dmbaer
I switched to Steinberg Wavelab a few years ago and never looked back.  Wavelab Elements (Wavelab lite) is very full-featured for the price.  Wait four weeks and see what price Black Friday brings.  I've seen it on sale for maybe 50 bucks - a tremendous deal if you see it for that price IMO.
2017/10/29 00:11:32
abacab
I an still using Sound Forge 7.0 on Windows 10 and it seems to work fine.  Audacity is also a quick and dirty tool that is useful.

I am not sure the difficulty you are having lies with Sound Forge. Is it just having your audio applications request that your audio interface switch sampling rates?

I have an older interface and it sometimes gets stubborn when I switch an app to a higher sampling rate, and then open a different app with a different rate.  I usually hear an audible click if the switch proceeded normally.  If I don't hear anything, that could be bad and it can be time to reset, reboot, whatever.

So I generally try to keep my system working at a constant sample rate, instead of jumping around.  If you just need to render a file at a different sample rate, it should not be an issue, unless you try to open it up and play it back.
2017/10/29 00:35:30
dubdisciple
I am using sound forge 10 on windows 10 and it works fine. As DAWs have gotten more advanced, dedicated wav editors seem to have gone down in popularity. I occasionally use adobe audition because it is included with adobe suite i already use, but i rarely have editing needs outaide if DAW these days.
2017/10/29 01:15:54
msorrels
I'm using Sound Forge 9 (not upgrading till it goes 64bit) but I'm not sure what Audio->Advanced you are talking about (there is no top level menu named Audio).  If you have a WAV file at one sample rate, to change it you need to use Process->Resample.  But (and this is very true if you are running SONAR or another ASIO app at the same time) your sound card has to let it change the sample rate.  As a result of this I run Sound Forge using the Microsoft Sound Mapper rather than ASIO, since my older Focustrites Windows driver will let Windows run at different sound rates, even when ASIO is locked everything at 48khz.  It sounds like you are trying to change the sample rate but your sound card isn't letting it happen.  Which is (sadly) very common.  And would do exactly what you are describing if you try to change the sample rate to something the sound card won't let you.
2017/10/29 12:59:31
BobF
msorrels
I'm using Sound Forge 9 (not upgrading till it goes 64bit) but I'm not sure what Audio->Advanced you are talking about (there is no top level menu named Audio).  If you have a WAV file at one sample rate, to change it you need to use Process->Resample.  But (and this is very true if you are running SONAR or another ASIO app at the same time) your sound card has to let it change the sample rate.  As a result of this I run Sound Forge using the Microsoft Sound Mapper rather than ASIO, since my older Focustrites Windows driver will let Windows run at different sound rates, even when ASIO is locked everything at 48khz.  It sounds like you are trying to change the sample rate but your sound card isn't letting it happen.  Which is (sadly) very common.  And would do exactly what you are describing if you try to change the sample rate to something the sound card won't let you.

Excellent post, Matt
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account