• Software
  • Any Sony Sound Forge Users here? Or do you know of a better alternative to Sound Forge? (p.2)
2017/10/29 16:09:47
wst3
Also still using SF9, but more often than not I use Wavelab, which I picked up several years ago when it was clear Sony was dropping the ball.

I did download the SF Lite V12 demo, and I must confess, I still prefer SF over Wabelab for almost all my detailed audio editing needs. Izotope RX also includes a decent editor, but I've been using SF since V3, and to me it just works faster - not that it does the processing faster, but the commands and shortcuts and tricks just feel more natural to me.

I really hope Magix gets it right!
2017/10/29 19:24:30
msorrels
wst3

You, me and thousands of others I'd imagine.  I have WaveLab LE and Audition CC but neither of them are Sound Forge.
2017/10/29 20:23:41
abacab
Just curious, but what are most folks actually using dedicated wave editors for these days?  Just mastering?

Was wondering because I bought Sound Forge many years ago, but it seems that many DAWs have become so much more capable since then...
2017/10/29 21:04:07
AT
SF here.

And a stereo editor is a great resource for working on samples, SFX, stuff like that.  It may be because I'm an old dog but it makes more sense to use SF for those dedicated tasks, and helps me switch mindsets.
2017/10/30 23:35:26
kitekrazy1
wst3
Also still using SF9, but more often than not I use Wavelab, which I picked up several years ago when it was clear Sony was dropping the ball.

I did download the SF Lite V12 demo, and I must confess, I still prefer SF over Wabelab for almost all my detailed audio editing needs. Izotope RX also includes a decent editor, but I've been using SF since V3, and to me it just works faster - not that it does the processing faster, but the commands and shortcuts and tricks just feel more natural to me.

I bought their 64 bit version of SF Studio.  I'm with you on SF. I still use SF 10 and still attached to that Sony GUI.  The only thing I don't like is Magix licensing.  Sony Products I always put on 2 machines. Not so with Magix. 
2017/10/31 15:57:28
groverken
I moved over to Acon Digital's Acoustica 7 from SoundForge just a couple of months ago. So far, it's been a fairly painless transition.
2017/11/01 00:07:07
kitekrazy1
I still have this one. It's underrated.

http://www.goldwave.com/

Forget about Acoustica.  I bought that back when v2 was out.
2017/11/09 05:32:18
Audioicon
msorrels
I'm using Sound Forge 9 (not upgrading till it goes 64bit) but I'm not sure what Audio->Advanced you are talking about (there is no top level menu named Audio).  If you have a WAV file at one sample rate, to change it you need to use Process->Resample.  But (and this is very true if you are running SONAR or another ASIO app at the same time) your sound card has to let it change the sample rate.  As a result of this I run Sound Forge using the Microsoft Sound Mapper rather than ASIO, since my older Focustrites Windows driver will let Windows run at different sound rates, even when ASIO is locked everything at 48khz.  It sounds like you are trying to change the sample rate but your sound card isn't letting it happen.  Which is (sadly) very common.  And would do exactly what you are describing if you try to change the sample rate to something the sound card won't let you.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
The screen shot below illustrates what I am talking about in regards to the Advance screen.

Now when I click the Advance tab,  I can click the Configure  tab to access my device Sample Rate.
Like below:

I am not sure I understand what you are meaning but below are steps for my process.

1) Export WAV file from Sonar at 24/96.
 2) Open the WAV file in SF

If I am opening a 24/96  File in SF, should SF be set to 24/96?

If I try to change the Sample Rate within the settings as illustrated above it reverts.

I am not talking about re-sample or stuff like that, in a nutshell, I am simply attempting to work with 24/96 format in SF.
2017/11/09 11:36:27
Leizer
kitekrazy1
I still have this one. It's underrated.

http://www.goldwave.com/

Forget about Acoustica.  I bought that back when v2 was out.

I use goldwave as well. It's perfect for the most common stuff (e.g. cutting, fade in/out, conversions) and very easy to use.
2017/11/09 13:28:55
pwalpwal
i used goldwave until i saw the SRC graphs (http://src.infinitewave.ca/ ) then acoustica, then got sf10 cheap and am just waiting for the x64 version before upgrading (they just did x64 release for vegas so i'm assuming sf will come along at some point
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account