• Features & Ideas
  • What I want most is: TRACK TEMPLATES with data audio and midi (p.3)
2015/03/10 02:25:42
sharke
It's still rude to bump...

Everyone thinks their feature suggestions are awesome, not just you. 

When you bump, you're shoving other posts out of the way to elevate your own artificially. 

2015/03/10 02:32:12
dubdisciple
yup..extremely rude
2015/03/10 09:32:10
stac
If I get this right, this request is about partial imports of projects. That's indeed a feature that some other DAWs have (REAPER and Pro Tools are two examples), and I do like it. It can be very helpful when you work on different styles a lot and want to import, say, a part of the latest pop project you mixed into the current one, because you think the way you treated the vocals there would be a perfect fit for the new project.

It isn't an essential feature, but it would be a helpful one IMO. However, there are other things I would like to see implemented in Sonar first. Partial imports are nothing that keeps me from using Sonar on an every day basis. Lots of other things do though.
2015/03/10 11:25:20
YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
Being able to collaborate and have only the contributed part returned is way good.

This means not having to wait for someone to add/modify a part as it can be added whenever.

I have a project with 4 variations. I now want to export the percussion midi tracks, with all routings and synths and settings, and combine them into one project. Currently this cannot be done.

Since track templates are essentially projects I find no major reason for data to not be included.

If a micro company (COCKOS) can do this shouldn't a small company (CW) be able to do this?

2015/03/10 14:04:52
dubdisciple
Being able to collaborate and have only the contributed part returned is way good.

This means not having to wait for someone to add/modify a part as it can be added whenever.

I have a project with 4 variations. I now want to export the percussion midi tracks, with all routings and synths and settings, and combine them into one project. Currently this cannot be done.

Since track templates are essentially projects I find no major reason for data to not be included.

If a micro company (COCKOS) can do this shouldn't a small company (CW) be able to do this?

Now you are reaching.  The "if this company can do this, why can't this company do it" logic is flawed and along the lines of "if they can cure polio, shouldn't they be able to cure the common cold?". It's not that black and white. It's not like it is a matter of simply hitting the on switch.  This may someday be a feature, but thus far it seems like most seem too ho-hum about it to even scratch the surface of being a priority.
2015/03/10 15:56:07
I am not trying to be a jerk.

For years we have been repeatedly told CW is a small company.

COCKOS is a micro company. And often posts refer to functions and features Reaper has that Sonar does not.
Sure it goes the other way as well. But it is truly amazing how quickly Reaper has developed. This is mainly because of the support of 3rd parties.

Reaper has some great features: macros, user and 3rd party extensions, completely customizable interface, importing, and so on. Sonar had some of these features with 8.5.3. And now 4 years on we get some command ribbon and some color control.

Sonar had track templates just after Reaper was born. This is one of those features that would be great to be taken to its next logical step.

2015/03/10 18:19:53
Dave Modisette
I'll help you bump your thread again by adding that your feature request doesn't interest me in the least. I can't imagine anything I would want to use it for.
2015/03/10 18:35:02
mettelus
I may be misunderstanding the OP, but if you open two projects you can move tracks between them. I have never stress-tested this and only used it a couple times to rebuild old projects. As far as templates you can easily create a track template from either project, insert it in the other and copy the track data over. Not a one-step process, but seems it would work for what you have mentioned.
2015/03/14 19:20:07
Dave Modisette
Thank you for your responses.

Copying/importing a midi/wav file does not bring along the effects, synths, envelopes, routing, busses, eq,... that a track template is programed to do.

A track template with data would do this. As written above a track template with data is a project.

Yes I understand about inserting a track template and then copying the data, but this is not complete.

Without the track and clip information imported/copied audio wavs and midi files are raw data.

Example: I have 3 variations of a project. In each I changed purc envelopes, and eq, and samples... for the same six midi purc tracks.

Now I want to combine just the purc tracks from the 3 variations. Not just the MIDI, but all parameters.

Dragging a project from the browser does not add the buses, routing, synths,...

Well, I didn't think that I would need to do something similar to what you want to do but today I did.  That said, I don't think it would need to be a track template but an expansion to the import features of SONAR.  

It would be in the File menu possibly as "Import Track(s)" or maybe under the edit menu as "Copy Track(s)" and "Paste Track(s)."  In either scenario, a tracks attributes and content would be copied as well as any bus assignments (including effects).  It would then allow you by means of a preferences window to change what you want to copy or paste in a different project - along the lines of Copy Special and Paste Special.
2015/03/15 04:38:05
lfm
I think the request is really simple to do for devs - just extend save track templates with a few checkboxes, like Reaper has - "Save clips with template" (items in Reaper).

Everything else could stay the same.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account